The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
dcarsten
Oh yeah....these developments of an Obama administration would be TERRIBLE!!!!

nationalized healthcare in the United States would be HORRIBLE!! Especially for the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies who are making billions right now at people's expense and completely running the FOR PROFIT healthcare system we have now.
However it might be good for the millions and millions of people in the United States who can't afford health insurance (myself included) so therefore can't afford to visit a doctor or other healthcare professional for years at a time. BUT I suppose nationalized healthcare would be good for all the people with catastrophic diseases like cancer who are usually cut loose by their insurance companies when their medical bills get too high. (In case anyone from the UK doesn't realize this is how the healthcare system currently works in the US)

And a far higher US deficit under Obama???? This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Yeah...because the current Republican administration has done a great job in this department even with their Republican Conservative ideology. Last I remember they've run up the largest deficit (dollar wise) in the history of the United States....which incidentally was a small surplus when Bush assumed office in 2001. If and when Obama is elected YES he will have a HUGE deficit to deal with....but every red cent of that deficit is complements of the Bush Administration....and I don't see how anyone elected could possibly do a WORSE job with the deficit than Bush has. And if you want to put it as Conservative versus Liberal handling of the economy....

This current deficit is the largest in history by dollar amount...but NOT by its size relative to the nation’s economic output. The current deficit represents about 4.5% of the Gross Domestic Product. The last two HUGE deficits were during the George H.W. Bush administration and the Reagan administration....both of which we're fairly close in size relative to the nation’s economic output. So with this track record I don't see how its instantly a given that Obama will run up the deficit...I mean the last Democrat in the White House eliminated the Reagan/Bush1 deficit and actually had the US running in surplus.

Do you read what you write? On the one hand you're claiming the deficit under Obama would be lower, yet on the other you're saying he should nationalize healthcare, which would increase it by hundreds of billions a year. Do try to be consistent instead of following the party line to the letter. I've been disgusted every time I had to deal with a government official. I can't believe you'd actually trust your health to the government. I'm personally a Democrat, but I'm not going to vote for anyone who supports protectionism or wants to drastically increase the size of government.
Reply 41
Bismarck
Do you read what you write? On the one hand you're claiming the deficit under Obama would be lower, yet on the other you're saying he should nationalize healthcare, which would increase it by hundreds of billions a year. Do try to be consistent instead of following the party line to the letter. I've been disgusted every time I had to deal with a government official. I can't believe you'd actually trust your health to the government. I'm personally a Democrat, but I'm not going to vote for anyone who supports protectionism or wants to drastically increase the size of government.

I'm not claiming Obama will do a damn thing if elected. But using the Republican party as an example...they don't seem to have a great track record of deficit reduction in recent history. I'm not pushing party ideology or anything like that...I'm not even a Democrat....I'm not a Republican...I basically hate the US political system entirely. Nothing ever gets accomplished and all Congress ever does is steal money from taxpayers. Plus the 2 party system doesn't give a person much choice. (Yes its not officially a 2 party system, but lets not kid ourselves) However, here's some FACTS about the deficit in recent political history...at the end of George HW Bush's term in office there was a huge deficit, somewhere around 4.5% of GDP. By the time Clinton left office there was a minor surplus, the deficit was completely eliminated. Now nearly 8 years into the Bush administration there is again a deficit around 4.5% of GDP. Look it up anywhere.

I understand your argument about the government screwing up a national healthcare system....it would make sense since they screw up everything they get their hands on...with no exceptions. However the current system is unacceptable. Our healthcare system is a FOR PROFIT system ruled by insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. These companies will literally do anything to make a buck...including such things as marketing unsafe medications or cutting off cancer patients insurance coverage when their hospital bills get too high. If you can actually AFFORD medical insurance thats good for you...I can't and neither can about 45 million people nationwide. I haven't seen a doctor or dentist for even a routine checkup in like 5 years.

The United States is the wealthiest country in the world and we get NOTHING from our federal government in relation to the amount of tax revenues they rob from us each year. There are definitely arguments for and against nationalized healthcare...but I hope you and I can both agree that the current system is an embarrassment and needs to be restructured in some way. My frustration mainly stems from the idea of what COULD be done with properly managed tax revenues to improve quality of life in the world's wealthiest nation....compared to the reality of what is being done right now. Lots of people are getting rich literally at the expense of people's health and its sickening.
Reply 42
Many many people are tories but wouldn't be seen dead voting republican.
Reply 43
You're not alone in that. I share the same feelings...the Democrat party really isn't left wing...I'd place them at a similar end of the political scale to the Tories.

I remember talking to Alan Duncan who stated that during the '04 elections a few Tory MPs had gone out to the states to campaign for John Kerry as opposed to George Bush.
Reply 44
Nikuhiru
You're not alone in that. I share the same feelings...the Democrat party really isn't left wing...I'd place them at a similar end of the political scale to the Tories.

I remember talking to Alan Duncan who stated that during the '04 elections a few Tory MPs had gone out to the states to campaign for John Kerry as opposed to George Bush.

Like I said previously...you have to realize that the United States and many countries have a different idea of Left and Right wing compared to political sensibilities in the UK. Basically take the whole political spectrum as you know it in the UK and shift it way over to the right. The Democrats are now somewhere near the middle of the road and the Republicans are way to the right. Granted I'm not saying this is always the case...but you need to acknowledge that the United States is a FAR FAR more right wing country than the UK or any nation in Europe. I constantly encounter fellow Americans that seem totally unwilling to accept this as even a possibility.

Latest

Trending

Trending