Williamsc978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Evening all,
Thought this might be a good place for people to chat to each other and talk offline prior to OASC/ IOT.

Wondering if anyone is on OASC on the 24th Jan 17?

I seem to be just waiting for the date to come so if anyone wants to team up to do some prep please ask!
HFC26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Williamsc978)
Evening all,
Thought this might be a good place for people to chat to each other and talk offline prior to OASC/ IOT.

Wondering if anyone is on OASC on the 24th Jan 17?

I seem to be just waiting for the date to come so if anyone wants to team up to do some prep please ask!
I'm on OASC on the 24th
SamAbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm going on the 17th Jan
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think my prep is okay, are you all feeling confident?
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im going for RPAS pilot, what about you?
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sounds cool! What part are you most nervous about?
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SamAbs)
I'm going on the 17th Jan
Hey I'm also on OASC 17th Jan, how's your preparation going?
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So far so good i think. Trying to do abit more prep for planning exercises. Hows yours going? You struggling with anything?
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alright thanks feel like its been a long time coming for this applied a year ago.

Yeah doing the same seeing as that's 2/5 on Day 1, only just started doing bleep test so think I might struggle with that if I pass day 1.

You said above that you're going for RPAS, do you mind if I ask why that instead of pilot?
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I decided to go for RPAS because I just think its so new and exciting. Theres lots of work going on at the minute with intoducing the new protector RPAS aircraft which will eventually replace the reaper. Also spoke to a sensor operator from Waddington who was saying thar after the F35 its highly likely that the next combat jet aircraft will be unmanned. BAE systems are working on such a project now called Teranis which if you look it up online, looks very exciting. What are you going for?
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hmm that's an interesting way at looking at it, I'm going for Pilot with RPAS as my 2nd choice.

I know the Typhoon has been extended until 2030 in the RAF and presuming the F-35 will be around for longer than that due to its fifth generation capabilities.
Naomih200
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mathgrad94)
Alright thanks feel like its been a long time coming for this applied a year ago.

Yeah doing the same seeing as that's 2/5 on Day 1, only just started doing bleep test so think I might struggle with that if I pass day 1.

You said above that you're going for RPAS, do you mind if I ask why that instead of pilot?
I'm going on the 17th too..how are you finding the planning for the planning exercises? How come it's been a year?
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I couldn't imagine the F35 being retired until 2050 at the very least. Id love to maybe get involed in the development of the Taranis if I could after flying the Reaper and/or Protector
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, alright thanks, think as well as getting a route, its more about how you get a route as in going about the problem logically not just trying to make a plan up as you go along. Think SDT will be a key factor though.

Many complications due to medical screening but finally got here.

What have you applied for? How are you finding it also?
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I couldn't imagine the F35 being retired until 2050 at the very least. Id love to maybe get involed in the development of the Taranis if I could after flying the Reaper and/or Protector
Yeah one of the main reasons I'm going for pilot is that after training it would be ideal time to go on an OCU for F-35, as long as I get streamed fast jet that is.

That would be awesome, has there been much released about the Taranis? I remember looking into it a while back and couldn't find much.
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as I know, not much has been released about the Taranis. All I know is that it will have a stealth capability that is designed to operate alongside typhoon and the F35, although I don't think orders will be taken much before 2030 so I doubt whether it will ever see service with the Typhoon. With regards to operational performance and what sort of weapons it will carry is still pretty Unknown.
mathgrad94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I thought that might be the case, that's cool to work with F-35. Think they'll always be an argument for manned vs unmanned aircraft, and I would say I'm split on the topic, as you take away the risk to life with unmanned, but think the maneuverability and usefulness of RPAS isn't quite upto speed as manned aircraft.

Was just thinking this is good practice for the group discussion at OASC.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As far as I know, not much has been released about the Taranis. All I know is that it will have a stealth capability that is designed to operate alongside typhoon and the F35, although I don't think orders will be taken much before 2030 so I doubt whether it will ever see service with the Typhoon. With regards to operational performance and what sort of weapons it will carry is still pretty Unknown.
Taranis is a demonstrator, not a finished article. The programme is designed to prove that BAE can build a UCAV and have it be of operational standard.

The aircraft they build afterwards, from the tech they've proven in the Taranis, will be the one that may be considered and bought for the RAF.
SamAbs
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I thought that might be the case, that's cool to work with F-35. Think they'll always be an argument for manned vs unmanned aircraft, and I would say I'm split on the topic, as you take away the risk to life with unmanned, but think the maneuverability and usefulness of RPAS isn't quite upto speed as manned aircraft.

Was just thinking this is good practice for the group discussion at OASC.
Yes I think at the moment both manned and unmanned aspects are obviously vital. I think it would be a long time before we became reliant on unmanned platforms alone, purely because we still have lots of research and testing to explore the capabilities. The sensor operator I met said that our research and development of RPAS platforms is roughly equal to the stage we were at when we just introduced biplanes into conventional aviation so we still have alot to discover!
Naomih200
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, alright thanks, think as well as getting a route, its more about how you get a route as in going about the problem logically not just trying to make a plan up as you go along. Think SDT will be a key factor though.

Many complications due to medical screening but finally got here.

What have you applied for? How are you finding it also?
SDT will definitely be key! The planning section is what I'm most nervous for but I'm just trying to find more examples to do...have you got any?
I'm applying for a MSO, what about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads