Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I go to an all girls school (in Year 11 this year), but ever since I joined I feel out of place with the other girls in my form. They're really loud and expressive but I'm shy and I always hate the pranks they pull on teachers and the way they talk about other girls behind their backs.

The reason I know this is because two years ago when I was in Year 8 three of the girls I sat next to in a chemistry lesson asked what I did on the weekend. I misled them to believe I did nothing but play video games all day. My twin sister (who sits to the other side of me) put down some science equipment for this experiment and I went to fetch some more. As I came back the apparatus that was already out had been moved to where these girls were sitting, and when I asked my sister where it had gone she just said, "I don't know."

Ever since those girls started intimidating me (although they've left now) I don't see myself as part of the form anymore, just because I don't want to go out shopping all the time and I don't have a proper social life outside of school. I feel really depressed about it. What can I do about it other than grin and bear it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Try to find other girls to be friends with. (if thats possible)

At the end of this year, you could always go elsewhere to do your A-levels. (if theres a sixth form at your school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyYear)
    I go to an all girls school (in Year 11 this year), but ever since I joined I feel out of place with the other girls in my form. They're really loud and expressive but I'm shy and I always hate the pranks they pull on teachers and the way they talk about other girls behind their backs.

The reason I know this is because two years ago when I was in Year 8 three of the girls I sat next to in a chemistry lesson asked what I did on the weekend. I misled them to believe I did nothing but play video games all day. My twin sister (who sits to the other side of me) put down some science equipment for this experiment and I went to fetch some more. As I came back the apparatus that was already out had been moved to where these girls were sitting, and when I asked my sister where it had gone she just said, "I don't know."

Ever since those girls started intimidating me (although they've left now) I don't see myself as part of the form anymore, just because I don't want to go out shopping all the time and I don't have a proper social life outside of school. I feel really depressed about it. What can I do about it other than grin and bear it?
    Hmm, in my experience I decided to grin and bear it, but my situation was at a mixed college, I tried to transfer colleges after my first year but I couldn't, I had nothing in common with anyone there, I'm more alternative/mosher and well no one else was...in the slightest, the girls were ridiculously *****y and the lads were so immature. I have always had the large majority of my friends being guys, but I couldn't hold a conversation with the ones at my college.
    I ended up spending as little time there as possible and inbetween lessons and things I would go to the library to study or read or whatever. I felt like such a loner.. but I think I got through it because I had a few friends outside of college who were 2 years older than me. They were actually on the same wave length, in sense of humour, music taste and just general stuff. When I was in year 11 I hung out with all the 6th formers.

I'm not sure what advice to give you, try making friends with some different girls like kirsty said, I'm sure some might actually share the same views with you -i.e. girls being ****'eds, and if you;re going to 6th form, make sure you chose a mixed college! I could never imagine a same sex school -*cringe*

you've done well to get this far :P

ReputationRep:
    I do have a couple of friends in the other forms of the year, but they're a bit apprehensive about talking to me when in the form room.

EDIT: Sadly I'm sticking at this school for sixth form, as my parents would be mad if I changed for seemingly no reason (I might have the same problem there too) and it's one of the best schools in the area so I have trouble making friends outside school.

ReputationRep:
    I would stick it out for the next two years until you get into University. It's not worth it to change now, but if you really want to then talk to your parents without hinting that you want to change. If they disagree, then continue where you are. You never know.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, have you thought about when you're 16 (if you arent already) getting a job? Alot of people meet friends from where they work as well

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean about your parents being angry about moving for no reason, but there is a reason -you're not happy.

I thought the same thing when I wanted to move college, but I just kind of hinted for a while, e.g. Parents: how was college? Me: was ok..kind of rubbish really. there's no one that has the same interests as me ..and they all have their groups. then gradually I'd explain how it was worse.. and then I like dropped a hint/joke/exaggeration about how Id rather go to newman (the college i wanted to move to)..and then because i kept mentioning it.. and gettin more serious my mum was like..are you really that unhappy at college? and i explained how it wouldnt affect my courses or anything because they just transfer your grades..and she let me apply..but no luck because i was too late applying.. worth a try though..I duno..If you think you can bear it. then you might as well. because now im well excited about uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiise)
    I know what you mean about your parents being angry about moving for no reason, but there is a reason -you're not happy.

I thought the same thing when I wanted to move college, but I just kind of hinted for a while, e.g. Parents: how was college? Me: was ok..kind of rubbish really. there's no one that has the same interests as me ..and they all have their groups. then gradually I'd explain how it was worse.. and then I like dropped a hint/joke/exaggeration about how Id rather go to newman (the college i wanted to move to)..and then because i kept mentioning it.. and gettin more serious my mum was like..are you really that unhappy at college? and i explained how it wouldnt affect my courses or anything because they just transfer your grades..and she let me apply..but no luck because i was too late applying.. worth a try though..I duno..If you think you can bear it. then you might as well. because now im well excited about uni!
    But I wouldn't fit in at any other sixth form is what I'm worried about. I've told my parents these worries before and they think it's my fault because I don't have similar intrests. My mom says I should try and make friends in the form despite everyone having formed friendships by now. Nobody seems to understand how I feel, not even my own twin that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyYear)
    But I wouldn't fit in at any other sixth form is what I'm worried about. I've told my parents these worries before and they think it's my fault because I don't have similar intrests. My mom says I should try and make friends in the form despite everyone having formed friendships by now. Nobody seems to understand how I feel, not even my own twin that much.
    aww that sucks so much. I guess one thing that might help -when I was being all lonery I just stayed positive, instead of seeing college as a social thing I just saw it as an opportunity to do well academically, hence spending time in library.
    I didn't change myself to fit in, because I knew that wasn't who I was, in a way i felt kinda special and unique because I didn't fit in, I didn't fit in with all the people I thought were *****y, or whatever because I didn't want to be that person who I knew I didn't like -does that make any sense? I just worked towards getting my grades to go to uni -so I could meet people who are like me, where there was a more diverse group of people to meet. And you never know, as you go into 6th form some of the girls there might mature a bit and change -like everyone does, and you might find that you click with some people who you previously didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose an up side of not having many friends at school/college is that at least you have plently of time to concentrate on your work, instead of having distractions of going out/doing stuff with your friends that having a social life brings...

ReputationRep:
    yeah -that's what got me into uni! ^

that and last minute revision.

hmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    I suppose an up side of not having many friends at school/college is that at least you have plently of time to concentrate on your work, instead of having distractions of going out/doing stuff with your friends that having a social life brings...
    That's true (although lately I haven't been doing as much work)... I never thought of it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore them. All the girls in my year were the same, totally superficial and *****y. Now we are all a bit older they are sensible and we are all friendly and civil to each other when we see each other around. It's just the way some girls are at that age, try and be glad that you're more mature than they are

ReputationRep:
    And plus, you wont waste your money on crap like you do when you go places with friends like cinema etc...

ReputationRep:
    And plus, you wont waste your money on crap like you do when you go places with friends like cinema etc...

I agree. You won't go and waste money on having fun and enjoying life. Good point there. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dolgeniog)
    I agree. You won't go and waste money on having fun and enjoying life. Good point there. :rolleyes:
    Trying to come up with positive points seeing as there doesnt seem to be much she can do to change her situation at the moment, so yea, trying to get her to have a positive outlook on the situation, how stupid of me :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You'll also be surprised by how much people grow up between 16 and 18 (very few people on my A-level course talked about each other behind people's backs) so you never know you might feel differently then.

For the moment, grin and bearing it seems the best way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I went to an all girls' school from year 7-13 and I had pretty much the same problem. I hated it, and really wanted to move for sixth form, but I didn't think it'd be different anywhere else- I decided to stay, mostly because my school is one of the best in the area too. I was really surprised how much some people changed in sixth form, and by the end of it I'd actually got some really good friends and had an alright time. If not, sixth form is for working hard, so you can always put everything into studying.

ReputationRep:
    :yy:
    Trying to come up with positive points seeing as there doesnt seem to be much she can do to change her situation at the moment, so yea, trying to get her to have a positive outlook on the situation, how stupid of me :rolleyes:
    Well maybe if she went out a little more (not loads, once a week etc) with the friends she has, she might meet a few more people and not find herself in this predicament. Then again, she could just take your advice and continue to have no friends. :yy:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is your twin sister on your side? does she support you?
    My twin sister is at the same school and even though we have separate friendship groups it's always good to know that if we have any friendship troubles there will always be at least one person in the school who is unconditionally there for me and vice versa. However I would also incourage you to find friends that are like minded and people who will not take advantage of your shyness. I think it is very impressive that you have not just follwed suit and joined in with these girls.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.