a) 2-methylpropan-2-ol
b) 2,4-diethylpentane
c) 3,4-dimethylhexane
wannabe_lawyer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Remember to count the longest c chain and number an additional groups. This should help with naming groups.
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As for Q3, start with with main chain. For example, for a) 1-chlorobutan-1-ol, your main chain is butane which is 4 carbons. Draw your 4 carbons then put the additional groups. You have a chlorine and an alcohol group (OH) both on the first carbon.Then just fill in the Hs.
Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
Remember to count the longest c chain and number an additional groups. This should help with naming groups.
Thanks for that could you help me out with the displayed formulas
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  1chlropenta1ol.png
Views: 136
Size:  5.7 KBshould look something like this
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lucky10)
Thanks for that could you help me out with the displayed formulas
no problem, I remember when I really struggled with organic last year but it gets better with practice. Lemme know if you need any help, I'm lurking around TSR rn
Lucky10
Rep:
?
no problem, I remember when I really struggled with organic last year but it gets better with practice. Lemme know if you need any help, I'm lurking around TSR rn
Thank you!! How about 4A and b?
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For 4a, the longest chain is 7 (as you've highlighted) and there's 3 additional groups. So your main chain is heptane and regardless of where you start numbering on this one, you have 3,5-dimethyl and 4-propyl (C3H7 on the 4th carbon). Now you just put everything together. You write the name in alphabetical order so dimethyl goes first so the name is: 3,5-dimethyl-4-propylheptane.
Lucky10
Rep:
?
For 4a, the longest chain is 7 (as you've highlighted) and there's 3 additional groups. So your main chain is heptane and regardless of where you start numbering on this one, you have 3,5-dimethyl and 4-propyl (C3H7 on the 4th carbon). Now you just put everything together. You write the name in alphabetical order so dimethyl goes first so the name is: 3,5-dimethyl-4-propylheptane.
oh right i see thank you
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you!! How about 4A and b?
Name:  2chlorohexen-4-ol.png
Views: 127
Size:  7.5 KB
For b), this is known as the skeletal formula. The best thing to do here is to redraw it as a displayed formula. For every 'corner/dip' that is a carbon atom (as I drew in green). Naming this is a bit tricky since it is both an alkene and an alcohol. Firstly always find the longest carbon chain, here it's 6 so it's hexENE (or hex-1-ene since the double bond is on the first carbon however it makes it simpler if we just leave it as hexene). Now no. the functional groups, you have a cl on the 2nd carbon (2-chloro) and an OH on the 4th carbon (-4-ol). Putting it all together, you have 2-chloro-hexen-4-ol.
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Name:  2chlorohexen-4-ol.png
Views: 127
Size:  7.5 KB
For b), this is known as the skeletal formula. The best thing to do here is to redraw it as a displayed formula. For every 'corner/dip' that is a carbon atom (as I drew in green). Naming this is a bit tricky since it is both an alkene and an alcohol. Firstly always find the longest carbon chain, here it's 6 so it's hexENE (or hex-1-ene since the double bond is on the first carbon however it makes it simpler if we just leave it as hexene). Now no. the functional groups, you have a cl on the 2nd carbon (2-chloro) and an OH on the 4th carbon (-4-ol). Putting it all together, you have 2-chloro-hexen-4-ol.
Thank you so much its helped alot
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much its helped alot
no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (470)
66.67%
No (235)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed