The Student Room Group

Spanish Improvement GCSE - There's a reason I'm posting this in the A-level thread!

Hi ya'll,
So i got a B in my Spanish GCSE mock in December. If i work hard my teacher said that shes sure i could get an A* ( i know it might not seem so considering i need to bump up 2 more grades) but she's seen my other grades which are majority A* and i have got A*'s in small individual spanish tests before. The reason i posted in the a-level thread was i need advice from those who got A* last year for your actual GCSES. Can you please tell me how you revised for listening/reading mock? How early you started and websites or resources etc
Thanks a lot!
An A* is not out of the question at all considering you got a B in your mock.
If I remember correctly, I got a B/C in my Spanish Mock in January and bumped it up to an A* for GCSE.
Likewise, for Maths I received a C in my January Mock but I managed to bump that up to an A* for GCSE (lol saw the opportunity to brag a bit, but at the same time it proves that it isn't too late and as along as you're willing to put the work in, you can get the grade)

If you really want that A*, you're going to have to work hard for it, but it's definitely possible if you are determined.

For the listening, it can be hard understanding people so just make sure you listen to a lot of different types of listening.
I used BBC Bitesize for listening as they have a lot of questions and tasks relating to Spanish Listening with lots of clips for you to lisen to.
It's going to be quite likely that you won't be able to understand everything that is said in a listening exert so what I usually did was pick out key points.
Read the question first and look for what it's asking. Is it talking about holidays? If it is then look out for key vocab in the listening that relates to holidays and listen to points around that.

For the reading, it is largely vocab and grammar based.
For the vocab, I used 'Memrise'. It's an interactive website for courses to help you learn vocab for subjects such as Spanish and there are courses tailored to certain exam boards so you can ensure you are revising all the relevant stuff.
You could use Memrise for grammar too, but I don't think I did.
I used the CGP book to help me with my grammar and it has a lot of nice exam tips regarding reading and listening, it tells you ways of avoiding certain mistakes, what to look out for and what to include. It has quite a lot of nice examples and it definitely helped me in getting the A*.

Last but not least, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Past papers are one of the best ways to do this.
They tend to ask the same style of questions a lot of the time with the occasional different type to throw you off.
If you keep practicing you'll know how to approach the question/what to look out for and how to answer them.

I didn't do this, but a nice addition would be to read the examiner's reports. They are a useful resource and they comment on the questions answered by students i.e. mistakes, what were done well, if things were mistaken and why that could be etc etc. You can learn a lot from them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JaredzzC
An A* is not out of the question at all considering you got a B in your mock.
If I remember correctly, I got a B/C in my Spanish Mock in January and bumped it up to an A* for GCSE.
Likewise, for Maths I received a C in my January Mock but I managed to bump that up to an A* for GCSE (lol saw the opportunity to brag a bit, but at the same time it proves that it isn't too late and as along as you're willing to put the work in, you can get the grade)

If you really want that A*, you're going to have to work hard for it, but it's definitely possible if you are determined.

For the listening, it can be hard understanding people so just make sure you listen to a lot of different types of listening.
I used BBC Bitesize for listening as they have a lot of questions and tasks relating to Spanish Listening with lots of clips for you to lisen to.
It's going to be quite likely that you won't be able to understand everything that is said in a listening exert so what I usually did was pick out key points.
Read the question first and look for what it's asking. Is it talking about holidays? If it is then look out for key vocab in the listening that relates to holidays and listen to points around that.

For the reading, it is largely vocab and grammar based.
For the vocab, I used 'Memrise'. It's an interactive website for courses to help you learn vocab for subjects such as Spanish and there are courses tailored to certain exam boards so you can ensure you are revising all the relevant stuff.
You could use Memrise for vocab too, but I don't think I did.
I used the CGP book to help me with my grammar and it has a lot of nice exam tips regarding reading and listening, it tells you ways of avoiding certain mistakes, what to look out for and what to include. It has quite a lot of nice examples and it definitely helped me in getting the A*.

Last but not least, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Past papers are one of the best ways to do this.
They tend to ask the same style of questions a lot of the time with the occasional different type to throw you off.
If you keep practicing you'll know how to approach the question/what to look out for and how to answer them.

I didn't do this, but a nice addition would be to read the examiner's reports. They are a useful resource and they comment on the questions answered by students i.e. mistakes, what were done well, if things were mistaken and why that could be etc etc. You can learn a lot from them.

Thank you so much, rest assured your time has not been wasted! I know it's a bit too early to say, but if you sort of remember this post I'll pm you my results.
Thanks a lot again:-)
Original post by GcSe KiD
Thank you so much, rest assured your time has not been wasted! I know it's a bit too early to say, but if you sort of remember this post I'll pm you my results.
Thanks a lot again:-)

Not a problem! I hope I helped.
If you're in need of any more help or would like me to help you practise, feel free to PM me.
I'm currently taking Spanish for A-level so I guess it would benefit us both :smile:

Btw, there is an app I use which is called 'HelloTalk' which could be very useful for you.
It allows people from all around the world to talk to each other. The main purpose of the app is to help people improve their fluency in any language.

It's like a WhatsApp. You can filter by country, so you could look for people from Spain and start having a conversation with them to help your Spanish (They will usually correct you if you have said something incorrectly) The more you speak with others, the more confident you'll become : )
Reply 4
Original post by JaredzzC
Not a problem! I hope I helped.
If you're in need of any more help or would like me to help you practise, feel free to PM me.
I'm currently taking Spanish for A-level so I guess it would benefit us both :smile:

Btw, there is an app I use which is called 'HelloTalk' which could be very useful for you.
It allows people from all around the world to talk to each other. The main purpose of the app is to help people improve their fluency in any language.

It's like a WhatsApp. You can filter by country, so you could look for people from Spain and start having a conversation with them to help your Spanish (They will usually correct you if you have said something incorrectly) The more you speak with others, the more confident you'll become : )

Ok, :-)
Thx again

Quick Reply

Latest