Living with a boyfriend in halls?

Watch
KieraDee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey Guys, so there must be loads of questions similar to this, but I'm just wondering is it possible to live in hall with my boyfriend if he doesn't attend the uni?
Myself and my boyfriend already live together in our home town, we would have been together 5 years by the time I start university in September so living apart isn't really an option.
Is there a way I could still have the "full uni experience" and live in halls with him or what are the alternatives?

Thank you in advance!!
doggyher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KieraDee)
Hey Guys, so there must be loads of questions similar to this, but I'm just wondering is it possible to live in hall with my boyfriend if he doesn't attend the uni?
Myself and my boyfriend already live together in our home town, we would have been together 5 years by the time I start university in September so living apart isn't really an option.
Is there a way I could still have the "full uni experience" and live in halls with him or what are the alternatives?

Thank you in advance!!
wtf no that's pretty selfish, him taking up space and resources even though he isn't even going to attend the uni. Pretty weird that you'd think this is okay.
John10101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, the alternative is to just find private accommodation. Unfortunately that means you cant have the "full uni experience" but it does depend what this means to you in the first place. The uni experience can vary from person to person and i am sure you will get aspects of it no matter where you live.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Non students can't live in halls.
KieraDee
Rep:
?
(Original post by doggyher)
wtf no that's pretty selfish, him taking up space and resources even though he isn't even going to attend the uni. Pretty weird that you'd think this is okay.
When did i say i thought this was okay? I was asking what my options are? Obviously i wouldnt expect him to stay there rent free...
John10101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When did i say i thought this was okay? I was asking what my options are? Obviously i wouldnt expect him to stay there rent free...
So you expect him to pay the university half the rent? of which will probably be covered in your loan?... I don't understand the thought process, you have to think about the other people in the halls as well.
doggyher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Student halls are for students, it's in the name. He's not a student, therefore he shouldn't be there. Besides it would be pretty weird for a jobless loser to be surrounded by students.

If you wanna be with him, get yourself private accommodation instead of taking the mick and bringing your boyfriend with you to student halls. That's your only option.
orange565
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If your boyfriend's not going to uni, what will he be doing? Or is he going to a different uni close to yours? Why don't you just rent an apartment together, close to your campus to have the 'full uni experience'?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thank you in advance!!
simple answer to that is generally No for undergrads and post grads ( vs staff or RAs) unless you have children when university MQs may be an option ...
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by John10101)
So you expect him to pay the university half the rent? of which will probably be covered in your loan?... I don't understand the thought process, you have to think about the other people in the halls as well.
Halls in my uni town are MUCH more expensive than private accom, definitely not half rent or covered in the loan.

OP - you cant live in halls with him and if he's working I definitely wouldn't suggest it anyway. You could try and find private accommodation, you'd just have to make a really effort to meet people in the first fresher week etc.
I wouldn't normally recommend that to people but you've been together so long I don't see the issue.
RainMakesWhisky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most halls won't place couples together even if they're both students because its not fair on the other flatmates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is not an option for any university owned accommodation hall. Most universities have enough of a student body that the university fills every available housing spot with a student. The only possibility I see, besides renting a private flat together, and not having the "full experience" is to see if the city your uni is in has privately owned halls. Companies have come into many university towns and have built privately owned accommodation halls. They MAY be more flexible. The set up is more like a traditional hall but it will cost a fair amount more. Also...... does your bf want to move away from his town, job, life to follow you? Is there a uni in/near your hometown that you can attend? I know people who (if there is space in the halls and that isn't always the case) even though they live in the same town as the uni they live in accommodation to get that 'full experience'. This would allow you to still see your bf regularly and live in halls. Good luck!
KieraDee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hopefully1)
It is not an option for any university owned accommodation hall. Most universities have enough of a student body that the university fills every available housing spot with a student. The only possibility I see, besides renting a private flat together, and not having the "full experience" is to see if the city your uni is in has privately owned halls. Companies have come into many university towns and have built privately owned accommodation halls. They MAY be more flexible. The set up is more like a traditional hall but it will cost a fair amount more. Also...... does your bf want to move away from his town, job, life to follow you? Is there a uni in/near your hometown that you can attend? I know people who (if there is space in the halls and that isn't always the case) even though they live in the same town as the uni they live in accommodation to get that 'full experience'. This would allow you to still see your bf regularly and live in halls. Good luck!
Thank you for such a helpful answer!!
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generally you won't be able to live in any student accommodation with your boyfriend - they can't have non students living there as then the property would be liable for council tax. This will apply to private halls too. You'll have to make the decision whether you want to live with him and miss out on the uni experience or live in halls and miss out on some of the experience with him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads