double vs triple science gcse - does it actually matter?

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Triple science feels like a lot more work for me which could bring the rest of my grades down and my school is frankly appalling at teaching. do universities actually care about whether you have taken double or triple science - surely they just want to see that you have achieved As across the board at GCSE level and are more interested in your A levels and personal statement ect.

I achieved an A in core science and have been entered for the triple science award. it just seems like a lot of work for not much gain - what would you suggest?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Bertbassett
John10101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No lol, once you leave GCSE's you will see they are pointless, at A-Level you will most likely cover maybe 1 topic from triple science but not a big enough advantage to take away your time from revising from other subjects. Oxford and Cambridge only really care about them so if you don't plan on going there, take it easy trust me.
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't need to make the same thread twice.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by John10101)
No lol, once you leave GCSE's you will see they are pointless, at A-Level you will most likely cover maybe 1 topic from triple science but not a big enough advantage to take away your time from revising from other subjects. Oxford and Cambridge only really care about them so if you don't plan on going there, take it easy trust me.
for oxford and cambridge do you think they would consider not offering you a place because you didnt take triple yet still got As/A*'s in double?
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nah it really doesn't.

I'm doing physics A level, i did triple at GCSE and my friend did double and he's literally A* in everything. (A's in AS as A* isnt real then)
Loopy91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take double, you'll just be making more unnecessary work for yourself otherwise.
John10101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
for oxford and cambridge do you think they would consider not offering you a place because you didnt take triple yet still got As/A*'s in double?
Well the more A/A*s you get will definitely help you get into the university but I dont think they care much if its double or triple
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to do science(s) at A - Level or University, you need to do triple science, preferably IGCSE course if possible. Those that continue from double science do struggle, as they've been having an easy ride for a few years, whereas those who have done triple often recognize a lot of the A - Level course material, making that easier.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
thank you all for the replies. some people have said that they dont matter and that the advantage of taking triple isn't worth it while others have said that triple is nescessary. tbh im not sure.
LisaNikita
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no university course that requires a GCSE triple science. Currently
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are you planning to do at A level?

From the point of view of universities, they really don't care whether you did double or triple - there are loads of people on my (science) degree course who did double and many schools don't offer triple science/ only for students in the top classes. Universities understand that not everyone had the opportunity at secondary school to take triple science. Also, they really don't care anyway - it's not going to be any help for non-science degree subjects, and if you're applying for a science degree you presumably did science A levels which cover the triple science content and more. So either way, they aren't going to even look at whether you did double or triple science GCSE.

However, if you're planning to take lots of science subjects at A level then it would be helpful, since you'd have a stronger background in sciences to start off with rather than having to catch up on some of the triple science content. Some of my classmates who only did double science GCSE found the step up to A level a bit harder, struggled a bit with the extra workload, and therefore ended up with slightly lower grades. That's not to say that there weren't plenty who got A*/As though, if you put the work in at A level it really doesn't matter all that much, you could cover the important content from triple science in a few days anyway...
peach927
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's ideal to take triple science, especially if you enjoy science generally. As in A-levels you just develop on the triple science topics. Also triple gives you the foundation to work on if you're going to take A-level science/s. This will make AS levels less challenging as you won't slack as much as if you've done double.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I always find it interesting when children think they're appropriately qualified to cursorily dismiss the standard of teaching at their school as 'appalling' or some such. Is your school in Special Measures or something?

To answer your question, it depends what you want to do next. If you're thinking of doing a science degree, then triple science is going to stand you in better stead.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I always find it interesting when children think they're appropriately qualified to cursorily dismiss the standard of teaching at their school as 'appalling' or some such. Is your school in Special Measures or something?

To answer your question, it depends what you want to do next. If you're thinking of doing a science degree, then triple science is going to stand you in better stead.
If you were given the option to study triple science, you would at least expect to be taught it in lessons wouldn't you? Well, in my school we are not even going to be taught it (eventhough we were told we would be two years ago) because the teachers are so bad at planning. If we didn't spend 3 months 'revising' for core science in class last year (which by the way was basically doing nothing in class) maybe we would be able to learn something from triple, thus i think that is is quite appropriate to call the standard of teaching appaling.
Eehaj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do double, it makes no difference, you just need to get as many A/A* as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
WannaBMedStudent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're a good student who is planning to science as a career it's useful to have mostly because it makes you more comfortable with A-Level and even First Year University concepts of science. It doesnt make you any smarter or better than people who did Double Sceince but I am glad I took T-science because
1. I realised that there was soooo much more to science than GCSES's tend make it out to be ( Triple was soooo interesting and we actually had fun learning it all)
2. Gave me a solid foundation for my a levels and uni ( I did All three sciences and am doing Biomed at Uni)
3. The " more work-load" ( it's hilarious saying that about GCSE's lmao) prepares you a bit for a levels in terms of question type and content. It's good to push yourself.

But no- Universities and even colleges don't care too much waht you do. Not doing it would probs make your life easier. It all depends on your long term plans.

GOOD LUCK.
Taypen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is absolutely no point in triple, i done double and am now doing A level chemistry and Biology, and had the option of physics. My friends that done triple and have done sciences say there was no point. Save the hassle and do double

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tunsley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Find out:Will your college/school let you do Physics, Chemistry or Biology 'A' Level if you've done double science?It's a big jump up as you would only studied two thirds of each subject!?
Doctor_C
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am unsure I agree with this. If a student is choosing a specific number of GCSEs and their option is 'Triple' vs 'Double 1 more GCSE', then ask yourself this question ... which is more work for someone who is good at science, the extra work to go from Double to Triple, or one whole (different) GCSE? I suspect for most, it is the former (if you are good at science).
Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
If you want to do science(s) at A - Level or University, you need to do triple science, preferably IGCSE course if possible. Those that continue from double science do struggle, as they've been having an easy ride for a few years, whereas those who have done triple often recognize a lot of the A - Level course material, making that easier.
This is not true. Double science GCSE requires AS level knowledge aswell as Triple Science. I am doing Biology for a levels and I do double science at the moment. It may require less work, but it does not mean we will find it harder at a level, based on an exam from when we were what, 12/13? If I had the work ethic then that I do now, I would be doing triple. I am on track for A’s, and will prove the stereotype wrong and do biology for a level and work hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.61%
I'm not sure (45)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (306)
29.8%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (499)
48.59%

Watched Threads