Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I was wondering what and where are the best food shops in Leeds, or if it is better to go to markets etc.
    With this I mean reasonable prices, good quality vegetables, fresh meat and wide range of choice among almost everything. I know this might seem strange and beautiful-and-impossible, but I was wondering if anyone of you found a secret and great place very worth the ride. I will be living in Lupton, so something near there would be great, but also shops towards city centre are fine...

I am used to some typical mediterranean products that I will miss a lot once in Leeds! (well, I will try typical British products and maybe fall in love with them , so it would be a partner-change)
    I think I can find mozzarella and some special kind of dried tomatoes,but at a very bloody special price!

Cheers
    Tom.

ReputationRep:
    If you go over to the far side of Headingley theres a restaurant called Salvos, they have a shop next door that sells all Italian stuff but its expensive I think. If you get on the number 1 bus to the end it comes to a big Asda, its probably best if you just order online though lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lupton is right near Somerfield which is a small but okay supermarket. They have a salad bar with some fresh stuff which can be nice and the prices for meat (I buy chicken etc from there) is pretty good.

Leeds Market is in the city and they have tons of stuff, especially fruit and packaged things like biscuits/frozen items. I've never bought meat from there but they do sell a lot of it.

As Elipsis says, Asda is the biggest supermarket in Leeds (there's also Morrissons in the city itself but I hate that shop, it's depressing and has no windows so feels all cramped and claustrophobic). Asda has a couple of buses that go right to it so you can get there quite easily and there's lots to choose from.

As for 'exotic' ingredients, depends what you want really. In the Hyde Park area of Leeds there's various asian shops like Abu Bakars or the International Supermarket that sell things that are harder to find elsewhere, maybe you'll be in luck there? Mediterranean food isn't THAT rare in the UK, my dad has jars of sundried tomatoes and peppers in his cupboards, and mozarella in the fridge :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarromantic)
    Mediterranean food isn't THAT rare in the UK, my dad has jars of sundried tomatoes and peppers in his cupboards, and mozarella in the fridge :P
    Whooops! Sorry ! :-P

So people told me wrong things, if your father has mozzarella! Here many friends told me "you will miss mozzarella", since they told me that mozzarella is typically mediterranean (something in which I believed just a little, since I thought "well, mozzarella comes from milk, milk comes from cows and cows grow EVERYWHERE, not just here, so why wouldn't they have mozzarella?!?). For instance I know extra-virgin olive oil is expensive in Britain (since olive trees are not made for British climate), but I can't do without. I never use other types of oil!

Anyway I believe that maybe that type of food is not rare, but anyway it is less common for the average people to eat it (I suppose), so there is a little less and prices are higher.

Just for curiosity: where do those sundried tomatoes in your father's cups come from? Are they british made or imported?

Speaking about pasta, I am used to eat the typical brands we produce here (Barilla, Voiello...), and I know I can find them in England too (at a higher price though), but years ago in Ireland I started buying local pasta brands (like pasta "ROMA", a brand I have NEVER heard of) and they are good as well... you have to pay attention to cooking time VERY STRICTLY, 30 seconds more and pasta turns to glue!

Thanks for the advices!

Cheers
    Tom.

ReputationRep:
    I just asked him, he says they're imported because the sundrying process can't be done here! Not sunny enough

Britain has, in the past, been seen as not very culturally advanced, especially amongst food. But recently people have been more explorative and often eat 'foreign' type stuff - you should be fine finding lots of types of pasta etc, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodolatex)
    Whooops! Sorry ! :-P

So people told me wrong things, if your father has mozzarella! Here many friends told me "you will miss mozzarella", since they told me that mozzarella is typically mediterranean (something in which I believed just a little, since I thought "well, mozzarella comes from milk, milk comes from cows and cows grow EVERYWHERE, not just here, so why wouldn't they have mozzarella?!?). For instance I know extra-virgin olive oil is expensive in Britain (since olive trees are not made for British climate), but I can't do without. I never use other types of oil!

Anyway I believe that maybe that type of food is not rare, but anyway it is less common for the average people to eat it (I suppose), so there is a little less and prices are higher.

Just for curiosity: where do those sundried tomatoes in your father's cups come from? Are they british made or imported?

Speaking about pasta, I am used to eat the typical brands we produce here (Barilla, Voiello...), and I know I can find them in England too (at a higher price though), but years ago in Ireland I started buying local pasta brands (like pasta "ROMA", a brand I have NEVER heard of) and they are good as well... you have to pay attention to cooking time VERY STRICTLY, 30 seconds more and pasta turns to glue!

Thanks for the advices!

Cheers
    Tom.
    we eat LOTS of mozzarella! overpriced though.

xx

ReputationRep:
    overpriced? you can get it for like 70p, same sort of price as normal cheese. this is fairly low quality stuff tho, I doubt an Italian would appreciate it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1hundredreasons)
    overpriced? you can get it for like 70p, same sort of price as normal cheese. this is fairly low quality stuff tho, I doubt an Italian would appreciate it lol.
    Ok then. NICE mozzarella is overpriced )

xx

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is a question about what you mean for "mozzarella"... it can be a "juicy"-"watery" mozzarella, or a "dried"-"solid" mozzarella (more similar to a tender cheese)...
    Here we have both, generally the "dried"-"solid" one is more used for cooking (pizza and other stuff in which you do not want too much water in the food).

Instead if you want to eat it "alone" (with salad for instance) the "juicy" mozzarella is used!

This is the point: is it common for "juicy" mozzarella to be found in England? I already asked this, but I wanted to point out the difference between those two types, in case someone did not understand what I meant at the beginning...

Thanks, and sorry for being so tedious and mozzarella-mad!

Cheers
    Tom.

ReputationRep:
    I think I know the kind you mean, we have holoumi (spelling!?) as well which is also 'juicy', haha.

ReputationRep:
    yeh the one i refer to above is 'juicy' ie its surrounded by whey or brine whatever it is.

u can also get the solid mozerlla, often grated, and can be used on pizza as you say.

ReputationRep:
    Also Morrisons in town is being refurbished, so far weve only half-done the produce department, but its looking much more light and spacious. It should be near enough finished in about 5 weeks

ReputationRep:
    mozzeralla balls, that come in a packet, and surrounded with liquid
    and mozzeralla pre-grated that comes in a paket
    and sundried tomatoes
    olives
    cheap extra virgin olive all
    can all be found in LIDL and ALDI
    as they sell foreign branded foods
    and all very nice

often sell vine leaves as well

however i am unaware of any locations of these in leeds

altho there is a netto in kirstall

ReputationRep:
    There's an ALDI just about to open in Halton I think.. keep driving past it and they're loading all the food into the shop all the time. bit far for the uni I guess though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1hundredreasons)
    Also Morrisons in town is being refurbished, so far weve only half-done the produce department, but its looking much more light and spacious. It should be near enough finished in about 5 weeks
    thank god, for the last two years it has been possibly the worst supermarket i've ever seen! there's only one morrisons near me at home but that's still like 25miles away so i'd never been to one til leeds, was not impressed lol

ReputationRep:
    Also there is a Sainsburys local opening near Morrisons on Woodhouse Lane (its the old wedding shop next to Varsity) This is due to open in the next couple of weeks, so I'm sure quite a lot of Morrisons' business will be taken by it, as a lot of shoppers in Morrisons (Merrion) only want a few things at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliclare)
    There's an ALDI just about to open in Halton I think.. keep driving past it and they're loading all the food into the shop all the time. bit far for the uni I guess though
    There's one in Meanwood. I've never been because it involves talking two buses though.

I shopped at Netto last year but I'll be living in Montague Burton this year so it'll be too far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisA86)
    thank god, for the last two years it has been possibly the worst supermarket i've ever seen! there's only one morrisons near me at home but that's still like 25miles away so i'd never been to one til leeds, was not impressed lol
    The Merrion centre Morrisons hasn't really had anything done to it since the 1980s and seems to attract low income shoppers from Little London, and students. The Merrion Centre is in the process of being re-clad, and with the opening of Sainsburys, it may have to change.

Incidentally, there will be another Sainsburys opening in one of the units in the refurbished Lewis's building (now known as Broadgate) on the Headrow.
    http://www.broadgateleeds.com/retail.asp#

ReputationRep:
    Morrisons do indeed plan a refurb of their Merrion Centre store soonish.

ReputationRep:
    Did you do a poll then and sit outside Morrisons all day to see what customers were going in?

Hmmmm

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.