The Student Room Group

Why is it so important for some to get into a top university?

I understand that when you apply for your real job, the manager will be impressed that you went to a good university but is that really it? Yes, you're more likely to get a job. But, why do people make it top priority? Are they just scared that people will make fun of them and compare them?
Original post by emerald7770
I understand that when you apply for your real job, the manager will be impressed that you went to a good university but is that really it? Yes, you're more likely to get a job. But, why do people make it top priority? Are they just scared that people will make fun of them and compare them?

You stated the reason , you get paid more and are much likely to get a job. Also companies go to these universities , offer internships and sometimes directly recruit from them. The jobs market is getting more competitive and its only going to get more competitive. A degree from a top uni in some industries gives you a MASSIVE edge into getting a job.
Original post by fleky6910
You stated the reason , you get paid more and are much likely to get a job. Also companies go to these universities , offer internships and sometimes directly recruit from them. The jobs market is getting more competitive and its only going to get more competitive. A degree from a top uni in some industries gives you a MASSIVE edge into getting a job.

That's true. Thanks.

Yes, it may be desirable, but it really doesn't make a difference at all. In fact, many graduates that finish university happen to be employed within 6 months. When you are applying for a job, the employer will look at the experience that you have gained whilst doing a year out in industry for example rather than what university you went to.
Most want to break in Investment Banking, and you cannot do that unless you go to the Target Unis - LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, Oxbridge.
Original post by emerald7770

Because you will pay virtually the same fees for London Met as you will for Oxford - which would you rather have. DO you think the best tutors will say - "ach you know what.... that little teaching job at Cambridge - I spit on you - mmm Greenwich university for me1"
You should not make it a top priority, some of the courses at these top unis are extremely demanding and so you should choose a course that you know you're going to be able to complete with a good grade. If you drop out the only way you'll be able to get the full funding again is if you can convince a doctor you had illness during your first attempt, otherwise, you're completely scuppered with regard to student finance and it'll take years of saving to make another attempt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigMan Ting
Yes, it may be desirable, but it really doesn't make a difference at all. In fact, many graduates that finish university happen to be employed within 6 months. When you are applying for a job, the employer will look at the experience that you have gained whilst doing a year out in industry for example rather than what university you went to.

I want to do banking/hedge funds and in this industry it does make a massive difference! When I say massive , I mean MASSIVE! It depends on the industry though
I want to do banking/hedge funds and in this industry it does make a massive difference! When I say massive , I mean MASSIVE! It depends on the industry though

It's who you know, rather than what you know that will get you into IB. If you have good networking skills, I'm pretty sure you will be in great company knowing that you have connections to get an internship. People that have attended Eaton and studied at Oxbridge will have parents that already know someone in the industry, so it makes it more easier for them as they hardly have to do any work.

Why not take a year in industry with one of the Big 4? If you can show you have good team work skills, you are basically employable to any employee. Work hard, whilst showing the necessary skills at work and you'll be fine regardless of which uni you attend.

If you are still not comfortable with that idea then do a Masters at a higher tier uni in IB or Management.
It's who you know, rather than what you know that will get you into IB. If you have good networking skills, I'm pretty sure you will be in great company knowing that you have connections to get an internship. People that have attended Eaton and studied at Oxbridge will have parents that already know someone in the industry, so it makes it more easier for them as they hardly have to do any work.

Why not take a year in industry with one of the Big 4? If you can show you have good team work skills, you are basically employable to any employee. Work hard, whilst showing the necessary skills at work and you'll be fine regardless of which uni you attend.

If you are still not comfortable with that idea then do a Masters at a higher tier uni in IB or Management.

Companies directly recruit from top unis and offer internships
I don't get the fascination really. It's just a societal thing, because we are made to believe that getting a degree from a top 10 uni is going to change your life, and job prospects.

But, in all honestly it's just nonsense, because your job prospects are defined partly by your degree classification and level of education, but more importantly by your own intuition and personality. So if you're a go getter and charismatic you will find it easier to get a job. Also, the courses at lower ranked Universities tend to be better sometimes, particularly ones that offer sandwich degrees.
You will be more competitive in the job market with a well respected degree but also - if you're a high achiever and work hard then you want to get into a university which fits with that
to get into investment banking
Reply 13
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Because you will pay virtually the same fees for London Met as you will for Oxford

To be fair in the US, top universities cost 100x more than an average university, so this point is basically moot

*Eton

I disagree. A degree from a top university will make it much easier to get a good job. It demonstrates academic ability to an employer. That's not the only important thing, but it is a major factor.

In most careers, there are a huge range of abilities. 'Top' employers pay for the most able candidates, who are more likely to have gone to 'top' universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending