The Student Room Group

How do I revise History?

Hi,
I'm having the worst time revising History GCSE. I'm trying to revise the Germany topic and I know what I have to revise but just not hot to put revision into practice. I can't think of any good methods of revision other than just copying up notes from a textbook which I realise is totally not an efficient way of revising and literally nothing is going in! Someone help me please because I go back to school in a couple of days and I have a huge exam first day back on the topic of Germany
Are you doing Edexcel History?

These are the revision methods that I used which proved to be effective:
- Mindmaps
- Making condensed notes
- Flashcards
- Writing short notes on post it's (stick to wall, wardrobe or wherever you want but you should at least read it once a day)
- Testing your knowledge (Pastpaper questions, essay plans) Write essays and give it to your teacher to mark it for you then act on the feedback and redo it if you didn't get full marks.
- Teaching it to someone (friends and family or even your pet - by teaching it you'll have a better understanding of the topic)

Resources:
I found these resources to be helpful when I was revising:

http://vle.brighouse.calderdale.sch.uk/frogweb/Parents%20Information/History/GCSE%20History%20revision/Germany/revision%20notes%202015.pdfhttp://vle.brighouse.calderdale.sch.uk/frogweb/Parents%20Information/History/GCSE%20History%20revision/Germany/revision%20notes%202015.pdf

Apps:
- Slideshare - PowerPoint presentations on topics
- Memrise
- Quizlet
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Workangel_24
Are you doing Edexcel History?

These are the revision methods that I used which proved to be effective:
- Mindmaps
- Making condensed notes
- Flashcards
- Writing short notes on post it's (stick to wall, wardrobe or wherever you want but you should at least read it once a day)
- Testing your knowledge (Pastpaper questions, essay plans) Write essays and give it to your teacher to mark it for you then act on the feedback and redo it if you didn't get full marks.
- Teaching it to someone (friends and family or even your pet - by teaching it you'll have a better understanding of the topic)

Resources:
I found these resources to be helpful when I was revising:

http://vle.brighouse.calderdale.sch.uk/frogweb/Parents%20Information/History/GCSE%20History%20revision/Germany/revision%20notes%202015.pdfhttp://vle.brighouse.calderdale.sch.uk/frogweb/Parents%20Information/History/GCSE%20History%20revision/Germany/revision%20notes%202015.pdf

Apps:
- Slideshare - PowerPoint presentations on topics
- Memrise
- Quizlet

Thankyou! This will really help I'm sure. I'm doing AQA but revision resources are revision resources right! Wish me luck
Original post by sophie080802
Thankyou! This will really help I'm sure. I'm doing AQA but revision resources are revision resources right! Wish me luck

Good luck for all of your exams!! I'm sure you're going to ace those exams with the positive mindset that you have :-) Advance Happy New Year too!
Original post by Workangel_24
Good luck for all of your exams!! I'm sure you're going to ace those exams with the positive mindset that you have :-) Advance Happy New Year too!

Haha! Thank you! Happy new year to you, let's hope 2017 is better than 2016 for everyone!
Reply 5
Hi

There are some great revision resources out there - it's finding them that's hard - maybe do a search on Google as well as the TSR.
One other way is listening to podcasts etc as I can do this whenever I want - it seems to work for me :smile:
Please don't take this as bragging...but I got 100% on the paper when I did it in 2014, so maybe I can help you revise and learn?
Send a PM if there's anything you need at all, I'm willing to help where I can :smile:
D
Original post by SkyRees
Please don't take this as bragging...but I got 100% on the paper when I did it in 2014, so maybe I can help you revise and learn?
Send a PM if there's anything you need at all, I'm willing to help where I can :smile:

Did u do A level History?
Original post by Blancosdos
D

Did u do A level History?

Yup! Ended up doing Germany again at A2 :smile:
Original post by SkyRees

Wow thats amazing! Thank you, next time I've got a test I'll for sure be asking you, although we're now doing the Cold War but for my end of year exams Germany comes back into play so that would be really helpful :smile:
Original post by sophie080802
Wow thats amazing! Thank you, next time I've got a test I'll for sure be asking you, although we're now doing the Cold War but for my end of year exams Germany comes back into play so that would be really helpful :smile:

Ahh, I only did the Vietnam part at GCSE. Did the rest at AS, but I'm not sure I can advise so much there haha. No go for it, happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending