How do I improve this exam question? (DNA)

Watch this thread
arisakha7
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Exam Question:
How does Dennis Kelly present John Tate as a leader?

I wrote:
John Tate is represented as a leader who rules by fear. When John Tate bans the word 'dead' after Lou and Danny keep repeating it. The audience get an aura of dictatorship over the two. John Tate then threatens them in order to feel in control, Danny and Lou then say nothing as a consequence of the threat meaning his leadership creates a sense of fear among the gang. This reflects the social hierarchy in society and how people will follow others in order to not be bullied or hurt by others. It creates a sense of security for young people and a sense of belonging.

John Tate then questions Danny and then asks him if he is on Richard's side or on his side. Richard says that they are "mates now," which suggests they have history which could mean they both fought for leadership before. This creates a sense of tension between the group. This reflects on young people who almost fight to be important or more powerful and in control to their peers.

Dennis Kelly represents John Tate as a leader who rules by fear. John Tate tells everyone he has been trying to keep everyone together and how things are better.
After John Tate says he has been keeping everyone together, Richard steps forward hesitantly which suggests Richard is confident but has a little fear perhaps he does not want to anger John Tate. Richard then provokes John Tate by questioning what will happen if he threatens him. John Tate asks Danny whose side he is on meaning he is trying to scare Danny into being on his side in order to make Richard feel small and less powerful.
This could reflect on society and bullies meaning bullies make other people feel inferior in order to make themselves feel like they are in control and more powerful. Dennis Kelly does this by Richard provoking John Tate and him then scaring Danny into being on his side.

(It was not my best answer but I would like to know how to improve. Thank you!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.53%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.02%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
17.54%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
24.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.18%

Watched Threads