Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is it worth starting IB after a year of A levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started A levels in September this year and so far I've hated them. I did relatively well at GCSE, achieving mostly A*/A and this year I really miss the breadth of subjects studied at GCSE. I've done some research on the IB and it sounds much more suited to me but obviously I've already started A level courses and it would take me an hour to get to a school which offers it. Is it worth completing this year and then starting the IB in September?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my friend had exactly the same problem. She is doing the IB with me now and thinks it's great. Don't do something you don't find motivating. It may be a bit uncomfortable being a year older than everyone else when you start again in September, but it's totally worth it if A Levels aren't your thing.
    Also, my journey to college also takes at least one hour each way, and it's still worth it.
    Talk to some IB students to see if it would really suit you, but I'd say go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind that whilst you do more subjects in the IB, each subject is not necessarily easier than an A level. You'll have to do 3 subjects at higher level, each of which is generally a little harder than a full A level; in addition to that, you'll have to do 3 standard levels, which are generally a bit harder than AS levels. The IB is hard work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigeon26)
    I started A levels in September this year and so far I've hated them. I did relatively well at GCSE, achieving mostly A*/A and this year I really miss the breadth of subjects studied at GCSE. I've done some research on the IB and it sounds much more suited to me but obviously I've already started A level courses and it would take me an hour to get to a school which offers it. Is it worth completing this year and then starting the IB in September?
    I think it's worth completing your first year of A levels before you make a final decision. The IB isn't like GCSE's. Do you know anyone who has studied the IB who you can talk to about it? From personal experience, having studied it myself, I remember not fully enjoying every part of it although I felt that it was definitely worth it in the end. Especially seeing as you've started A Levels, you don't wanna have any regrets if the IB turns out to be a lot worse than you expected. IB is a lot more full on and likely more stressful than A Levels, so I'd recommend you look into what subjects you may choose to study, look further into what they cover and then consider if you're still up for it

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.