Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that a lot of people on these forums seem to have developed something of a superiority complex which has lead to them being very snobbish about almost everything? For example many people are claiming that very well respected and prestigous universities are cr^p. They are also taking the pis$ out of certain 'mickey mouse' degrees all the time. I've heard one person remark that someone else didn't even get 8 A*s (or some other high number) at GCSE - normaly I would have immediatly thought this to be a joke but now I'm not so certain.

Why is it that these people feel that they have to take away other people self dignity and self respect. Surely these people, no matter waht course or university they go to, will not be very well employable - would you hire someone that you couldn't stand (after all they do say that your degree is secondary to your personalyity that comes across in the interview)?

If you agree with ending this snobbery and abuse that other members suffer then please sign below.
    Have a nice day.
    Chubb

ReputationRep:
    What poll?

I didn't get a single A at GCSE, i think i must be a little slow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    What poll?

I didn't get a single A at GCSE, i think i must be a little slow
    I forgot to click the box (must be the lack of As) If a mod sees this please post a poll with the folowing options:
    No theres no snobbery
    Yes there is but I like it
    Yes there is and it needs to stop
    Snobby comment about the poll

ReputationRep:
    have you graduated from oxford? if not you are crap!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I forgot to click the box (must be the lack of As) If a mod sees this please post a poll with the folowing options:
    No theres no snobbery
    Yes there is but I like it
    Yes there is and it needs to stop
    Snobby comment about the poll

yeah must be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    have you graduated from oxford? if not you are crap!
    I take it that that was a joke no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Has anyone else noticed that a lot of people on these forums seem to have developed something of a superiority complex which has lead to them being very snobbish about almost everything? For example many people are claiming that very well respected and prestigous universities are cr^p. They are also taking the pis$ out of certain 'mickey mouse' degrees all the time. I've heard one person remark that someone else didn't even get 8 A*s (or some other high number) at GCSE - normaly I would have immediatly thought this to be a joke but now I'm not so certain.

Why is it that these people feel that they have to take away other people self dignity and self respect. Surely these people, no matter waht course or university they go to, will not be very well employable - would you hire someone that you couldn't stand (after all they do say that your degree is secondary to your personalyity that comes across in the interview)?

If you agree with ending this snobbery and abuse that other members suffer then please sign below.
    Have a nice day.
    Chubb
    Sadly I can name quite a few members who have a tendency to do the above but I don't think it's the majority.

ReputationRep:
    i can see wot u mean
    i was proud of my one A* at GCSE
    but to some people on here thats just not good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Sadly I can name quite a few of members who have a tendency to do the above but I don't think it's the majority.
    Yeh I know (sorry if it sounded like I thought it was the majority).

BTW - I'm glad to see that people are responding in a positive manner.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you've tried your best then you have every right to be proud of any grade you get. I was proud of my B's although not my D in english which i retook god knows how many times to get a C

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, I'm not sure if I'd call folk snobs, but ambitious.

Particularly if you go through the Oxbridge subforums, "What if I don't meet my AAA offer". Or "Will Oxford accept me with only 5A*'s and 5A's". It's good to try, but it seems like people think their lives are going to come to an end if they don't get into the university/career they want. The reality is, they are going to be successful, they are intelligent and they will get somewhere, no one can take that away from them even if they don't meet their AAA offer.

It is quite sad, as I said try, but letting it rule your life is selfish. To get 5A*'s you are very lucky and talented, and it's not a good to make people who don't achieve this feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    I play down my intelligence and act stupid in the company of other intelligent people because I feel like I cannot compare to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I play down my intelligence and act stupid in the company of other intelligent people because I feel like I cannot compare to them
    Though playing down intelligence, can at times, be the most intelligent move :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It is rather sad and pathetic that people that know they are clever feel they have to re-emphasize the point by claiming they are far superior to everyone else. If anything it is a sure pointer that they are not intellectually mature at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Its better to not to say anything and risk being thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Surely these people, no matter waht course or university they go to, will not be very well employable - would you hire someone that you couldn't stand (after all they do say that your degree is secondary to your personalyity that comes across in the interview)?

That is all too true.

I have been on a year out of uni, while changing course. I was working in a low-paid data-entry job for just under 6 months. During that time I met people who had left school at 16 with no qualifications at all, not even sitting their GCSE's. That person is only 23, but has shown drive and enthusiasm and been promoted to management.

Equally there were graduates, some still living with their parents late into their thirties, and had not even climbed the first rung of the ladder, they were still employed through temping agencies, like I was. I had no problem with this, as I was definite about what I wanted to do, and was just counting off the days until I was back at Uni. These graduates though had nothing in front of them, and no desire to "make it" in the world.

Before anyone asks, no they were not happy where they were. One woman was always moaning about living with her parents (she was 35), no boyfriend (fairly obvious when you are still with your parents at 35), no car, no money, no job security or satisfaction etc. Yet even with all these moans, and a degree, she was still just sitting there, acting exactly the same as myself. and a girl who was also sitting out a year, after her industrial placement collapsed.

ReputationRep:
    i've come across a few 'snobs' on ukl taking the piss out of my grades, i just ignore it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I agree with you, I'm not sure if I'd call folk snobs, but ambitious.

Particularly if you go through the Oxbridge subforums, "What if I don't meet my AAA offer". Or "Will Oxford accept me with only 5A*'s and 5A's". It's good to try, but it seems like people think their lives are going to come to an end if they don't get into the university/career they want. The reality is, they are going to be successful, they are intelligent and they will get somewhere, no one can take that away from them even if they don't meet their AAA offer.

It is quite sad, as I said try, but letting it rule your life is selfish. To get 5A*'s you are very lucky and talented, and it's not a good to make people who don't achieve this feel bad.
    I had a freind who said when he was asked about his university offers that he was upset that he hadn't gotten any unconditional offers yet - he actualy thought that his GCSE and AS results could get him an unconditional offer - how unlikely is that (yes I know they give out 1 or 2 of them). The same person also said when someone remarked that an equaly clever friend hadn't appied to Oxbridge (the one making the comments was rejected) that "he's no where near oxbridge standard" - when the person in question was going to get As at A-Level.

People now talk about him and his snobbery behinf his back and he deserves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Intellectual arrogance is a sign of a second class mind.

Einstein said that, I think.
    Indeed, "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."- Confucius

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.