Turn on thread page Beta

Snobbery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Though playing down intelligence, can at times, be the most intelligent move :cool:
    Its a fool who shows his greatest assests to the world and therefore his enemy also- me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Its a fool who shows his greatest assests to the world and therefore his enemy also- me.
    Good quote-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I had a freind who said when he was asked about his university offers that he was upset that he hadn't gotten any unconditional offers yet - he actualy thought that his GCSE and AS results could get him an unconditional offer - how unlikely is that (yes I know they give out 1 or 2 of them). The same person also said when someone remarked that an equaly clever friend hadn't appied to Oxbridge (the one making the comments was rejected) that "he's no where near oxbridge standard" - when the person in question was going to get As at A-Level.

People now talk about him and his snobbery behinf his back and he deserves it.
    Well that's what happens, isn't it? People like that who think, to the extent of believing they are superior is an attractive quality to universities/employers, yet it isn't at all, particularly when it isn't true. I'm glad he got shown a bit of truth, but I'm guessing he still walks around with his nose up in the air? Maybe one day he'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I had a freind who said when he was asked about his university offers that he was upset that he hadn't gotten any unconditional offers yet - he actualy thought that his GCSE and AS results could get him an unconditional offer - how unlikely is that (yes I know they give out 1 or 2 of them).
    PQ will know for certain, but I was under the impression that they never made unconditional offers to people still sitting their A-Levels.

A friend of mine has been accepted into Music college and they asked for EE conditional. You also hear of places making EE offers rather than unconditional offers if they really want you. I think some Oxbridge colleges set aside a certain proportion of offers like that, and I know of UCL making an EE offer to somebody I know.

I think its all to do with LEA funding etc. If you fail to acheive EE, then you may not be able to apply for student loans etc.

As music colleges audition, they cannot place any value in whether you achieve EE or not, so my hunch is that the lower bound on offers is something financial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Has anyone else noticed that a lot of people on these forums seem to have developed something of a superiority complex which has lead to them being very snobbish about almost everything? For example many people are claiming that very well respected and prestigous universities are cr^p. They are also taking the pis$ out of certain 'mickey mouse' degrees all the time. I've heard one person remark that someone else didn't even get 8 A*s (or some other high number) at GCSE - normaly I would have immediatly thought this to be a joke but now I'm not so certain.

Why is it that these people feel that they have to take away other people self dignity and self respect. Surely these people, no matter waht course or university they go to, will not be very well employable - would you hire someone that you couldn't stand (after all they do say that your degree is secondary to your personalyity that comes across in the interview)?

If you agree with ending this snobbery and abuse that other members suffer then please sign below.
    Have a nice day.
    Chubb

I agree thats there is a lot of snobbery on UKL, which is why I tend to only contribute to general chat

ReputationRep:
    Am I a snob?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Good quote-
    Thanks.

(Original post by happysunshine)
    Well that's what happens, isn't it? People like that who think, to the extent of believing they are superior is an attractive quality to universities/employers, yet it isn't at all, particularly when it isn't true. I'm glad he got shown a bit of truth, but I'm guessing he still walks around with his nose up in the air? Maybe one day he'll see.
    Yeh he still thinks hes amazing - he seems to think that without him all of society will crumble! :eek:

(Original post by dave134)
    PQ will know for certain, but I was under the impression that they never made unconditional offers to people still sitting their A-Levels.

A friend of mine has been accepted into Music college and they asked for EE conditional. You also hear of places making EE offers rather than unconditional offers if they really want you. I think some Oxbridge colleges set aside a certain proportion of offers like that, and I know of UCL making an EE offer to somebody I know.

I think its all to do with LEA funding etc. If you fail to acheive EE, then you may not be able to apply for student loans etc.

As music colleges audition, they cannot place any value in whether you achieve EE or not, so my hunch is that the lower bound on offers is something financial.
    Yeh we call EE offers unconditional since they are normaly made to people who have already passed the EE boundary (I know someone who got 3 EE offers - reduced from AAB type offers too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Am I a snob?
    Not that I've noticed - maybe you are I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Am I a snob?
    Yes you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Not that I've noticed - maybe you are I don't know.
    * pride to be non-snob *

ReputationRep:
    OMG - one of the snobs has actualy sunk so low as to give me neg rep for posting on snobbery! Its unsigned too - theres a surprise - these people are almost always cowards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Am I a snob?
    no you're an engineer, totally different species

ReputationRep:
    I too agree with the original post. Until you come to UKL you think your results are good, but then you suddenly realise that compared to the people here you are really not that great, infact nearly everyone has done better than you.

The problem is i think that UKL creates an unrealistic view of what the average 17/18 year old applying to university is like. It makes you feel like your at the bottom end if you get BBB at A-Level for example when in reality, BBB is extremely good when you take into account every A-Level student in the UK.

The average student on UKL has miles better grades than even the good students in most "normal" schools and i think this looses some people a lot of confidence and makes them feel like that are not as intelligent/do not have as much to offer as they really do.

This isn't all to do with snobbery, its an academic forum so obviously most people here are going to be academic and it's not their fault they are amazingly clever and they should indeed feel very happy and proud of themselves. However.....like the original poster said it is the way some people here look down on those with what seem to the rest of us as very good grades and those who go to very good universities but to them are just not good enough. These kind of people will get a shock when they leave their top unis and enter the real worlds and find you need a lot more than just good grades to succeed in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    no you're an engineer, totally different species
    We're pretty much the lowest of the low :rolleyes:

* gets back to his greasy rags and spanners *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    These kind of people will get a shock when they leave their top unis and enter the real worlds and find you need a lot more than just good grades to succeed in life.
    In the words of Guns n Roses - "Welcome to the Jungle"

ReputationRep:
    You're probably referring to me as one of the "snobs" on this forum. But I'm actually not at all - snobbery means thinking you are superior to someone else based on your intellect, status, employability, etc. I don't - as I keep on saying, having an Oxbridge degree, a high-flying career, fame, money etc doesn't necessarily mean your life is better than someone else's. Look at the tabloids and every day you'll see more millionaire celebrities with wrecked lovelifes and high-flying businessmen in corruption scandals. At Oxford there's loads of people suffering depression. Do you think people who are stressed out about getting AAA, or a 1st, happy, and satisfied with their life? There's people who left school at 16 without qualifications without a high-flying career more content and happy with their life than any "snob".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    You're probably referring to me as one of the "snobs" on this forum. But I'm actually not at all - snobbery means thinking you are superior to someone else based on your intellect, status, employability, etc. I don't - as I keep on saying, having an Oxbridge degree, a high-flying career, fame, money etc doesn't necessarily mean your life is better than someone else's. Look at the tabloids and every day you'll see more millionaire celebrities with wrecked lovelifes and high-flying businessmen in corruption scandals. At Oxford there's loads of people suffering depression. Do you think people who are stressed out about getting AAA, or a 1st, happy, and satisfied with their life? There's people who left school at 16 without qualifications without a high-flying career more content and happy with their life than any "snob".
    I wouldn't say you were a snob at all. Going to oxford and getting good grades doesn't make you a snob, as i said in my post. It's your attitude with makes you a snob or not, and I don't think you have a snobby attitude.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Jools]You're probably referring to me as one of the "snobs" on this forum.QUOTE]
    Nope not noticed anything from you either - none of the snobs has dropped by yet though in fairness I probably wouldn't remember that it they were one of the snobs (therefore by that logic you could be one of the snobs and I've forgotten :rolleyes: - my memory weird - good at some things and terrible at others).

(Original post by *Riz*)
    I wouldn't say you were a snob at all. Going to oxford and getting good grades doesn't make you a snob, as i said in my post. It's your attitude with makes you a snob or not, and I don't think you have a snobby attitude.
    Dam right Riz - its who you are not where you've been - if it weren't then it would make us snobs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    What kinda fame?

i get called a snob quite a lot but i am not snobbish when it comes to exam results and universities and careers. I am happy to be a drama student and yes i get abuse about it not being worth a degree and not requiring much intelligence but i just ignore it. Some people just need to learn that oxbridge is not the only good place to be or that anything slightly different is worthless. I am not trying to say that everyone who does this well is like this or everyone who wants to go to oxbridge is a snob because i am not. My boyfriend is going to oxford and when he tells me drama is a bit of a mickey mouse subject i know he is only joking (mostly) but there are few who are not...

At Oxford there's loads of people suffering depression. Do you think people who are stressed out about getting AAA, or a 1st, happy, and satisfied with their life? There's people who left school at 16 without qualifications without a high-flying career more content and happy with their life than any "snob".
    certainly true and a valid point...my friends brother dropped out of oxford because he was fed up and my friend has just left school after AS to do her part time job full time for a while because school was making her miserable with all the university pressure over oxbridge and medicine. Now she is really happy. So don't let people tell you what to do just because they think it is the best way to do it..

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.