Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so as the little hope of light is fading on the fact I probably wont get a hall changed to get a car parking space. Where can you get part time work in loughborough, or anywhere thats not far away from loughborough.

I really don't want to go back into retail, but I assume I have very little choice in the matter, I hated every day of 2 years at BHS and now my helpdesk job is great fun, problem is its in sheffield!

I have been offered a part time Casual stuward job, but because its casual I didn't think it would bring in a steady amount of money.

Either way I know theirs Tesco's nearby, a sainsburys and I assume various other shops in the centre of loughborough.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't suggest getting a job at all for your first year. Very few people do unless it's working at the union. You can survive on your student loan without needing a job so make the most of your first year not counting and have some fun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to get a job at the union so how's the best way of going about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holty-Dave)
    I'm planning to get a job at the union so how's the best way of going about it?
    By going to the union..? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The money issue scares me, tis mainly why I want a job.

£3000 for Accomodation (Maintainance). £3000 for tuiton fees and I have saved up £2000 of my own monies and I can get a £2000 over draft.

Is that enough to live off o_O? I am also assuming I do fulltime/parttime work during the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Well I went to uni with NO money saved up and a £1000 overdraft...so yes, you'll be fine!! lol Plus I managed to buy stupid amounts of shoes during my first year

ReputationRep:
    I wont be getting a loan/grant as im a foundation student.. is it hard to get a job at the student union? I mean, is it competitive?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine so, with the amount of students at the university looking for work

ReputationRep:
    There are three basic areas of work at the union. Bars, Sercury, and VenueCrew.

The best way of geting a job is to approach someone directly within the union, almost anyone working there will be able to point you in the varous right directions, or find someone who can.
    - Get there at the biggining, and dont be afraid to get stuck into it.

The largest area is obvously as bar staff, as theres a lot of them, and also a fairly high turn over of people (lots of people start, and find they would actaully rather be the other side of the bar!)
    - The moneys not bad, the hours not to extreme, but the work is pritty intense while your there!
    - You have to work a minimum of once a week, on wednesday or fridays (the two main days). And then usally a-another shift thoughout the week.

Other options is crewing, which is what i do.
    - Duing the freashers bizzare they will be on the main stage in room one with a load of gear up and running recruting. Get your name and email address put down, then you will be conected, and invited to a welcome meeting, where further information about training/work will be given.
    - Again, half the people that apply tend not to ever turn up again, but if your like me, you will serously enjoy it, and i would deffonatly recomend it.
    - The money is £45/50 per night worked after your first few trial/induction shifts and the hours between 3-5pm start, 2-3am finsh usally. With shifts being very very flexable, on a very much first-come-first-serve basis. Crew meeting every thurday to determin the weeks shifts.

I too really wouldnt suggest working a boring job just to make money, thats not what first years about.
    - But i really enjoy working my shifts at the union, and just did what i wanted to do for fun, with the odd £50 jsut being a bonus really! lol.
    - So much so that im going to try and fit in some shift this year too, even tho im on a placment year paying £300 a week! It just fun. ANd hard work!

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    Sugar, i really don't see how you can survive on your student loan, i have been given max loan (~£3,600) my halls are £4,000 and my course fees are also paid under the student loan £3,070. My parents are giving me £20 a week, that means that the £-400 will be back in 20 weeks.

Which means, no going out and getting drunk during freshers or any time during the course. explain how you did it sugar baring in mind we don't all have rich parents!

ReputationRep:
    Em (e_clark) and Dan (dhutch) both have Union jobs, so when they are next on they can tell us how they got their jobs!

This is the Loughborough job page thing, but not much on it atm - better off applying elsewhere tbh, and will probably get a better wage too!! There's quite a lot of stores in the town, i would recommened applying for jobs sooner rather than later

-x-

ReputationRep:
    Well I was in the most expensive hall, managed to go out 2, 3 times a week, bought a helluva lot of shoes and clothes, had no savings and didn't get any help from my parents. Plus with my overdraft I even managed to pay to go to America...so I don't see why people are complaining tbh! lol

ReputationRep:
    im not planning on going into my overdraft!

ReputationRep:
    Miles i already got you a job =( i know i was drunk and so was craig, but we meant it =( its fun and you get to be a geek all day!

ps matt *****ed at me for not giving you a capital M... so i hope you appreciate your bold cap ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I only use my overdraft when I don't want to withdraw money from my savings accounts.... I like to know that I could pay it back immediately if the bank ever called me to withdraw my overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanTurton)
    im not planning on going into my overdraft!
    I didn't touch my overdraft surprisingly...and I had 3 available to me...but then my parents were very generous...

ReputationRep:
    I have £1400 interest free over draft with natwest.
    - So i stuck £1000 in a nationwide savings account, at 5.5%.
    - Theres your first £55 a year towards beer money, might as well.
    - Same with you student loan, even if you dont need it, take it all!

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a part time Casual stuward job, but because its casual I didn't think it would bring in a steady amount of money.
    I'd recommend Showsec event stewarding to any Uni student looking to make a little extra cash, and not just because I offered to give you a reference for a start Miles.
    Our nearest operational office to Loughborough is based at Nottingham, and we provide security & stewards for a plethora of different venues and events e.g. Nottingham Arena, Derby County FC, Download festival, Huntingdon Racecourse & Charnwood Borough Council to name but a few.
    Not many people can say that they get paid £5.50ish an hour to stand around watching concerts/football matches, plus fuel compensation if you happen to drive other staff to a gig.

As far as the regularity of work goes, I'd be lying if I told you that you could book onto 4-5 shifts EVERY week, as our industry is seasonal and tends to slow somewhat during the late Feb-early March period. That being said, do you really want to be working 5 nights a week ANYWHERE during your first year at Uni?

Several of my colleagues started out at Showsec as event stewards, and used the job as a bit of 'play money' during term, then did the festival circuit (Download, Wireless, Hyde Park Calling, Full Ponty, Rockness, Bestival, Creamfields, V etc) through the Summer for a great experience while earning decent money. One of those colleagues is now a director of the company (and my boss), and while I wouldn't recommend it as a career path for everyone, it's certainly a good experience with good people... and who wants to go back to their parents all summer after months of independence anyway? :P

NB: Yes I know that our website is pants at the minute, but here's hoping for the future.

ReputationRep:
    I survived on the minimum loan (non means tested) for the year, working for a few days over the holidays... it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarExplosion)
    Well I was in the most expensive hall, managed to go out 2, 3 times a week, bought a helluva lot of shoes and clothes, had no savings and didn't get any help from my parents. Plus with my overdraft I even managed to pay to go to America...so I don't see why people are complaining tbh! lol
    I thought The Holt (self catered) and DC (catered) were the most expensive halls? Meh, either way i agree with you - plenty of people get by just fine without going crazily into debt, just don't waste your money!! Oh random q - do you still have that fab coat?... lol!! Still want to nick it! :p:

-x-

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.