The Student Room Group

Cambridge, STEP and IB maths

Hi guys,
So I am considering applying for maths at uni but have noticed a slight drawback... I would really like to go to a prestigious maths uni, and think I am capable of getting in (predicted a 7 in HL maths), however Cambridge and Warwick both advertise a requirement for STEP papers. This would mean that 1 month after my IB exams finish I'll sit step 2and 3, then I won't get the step results until 6weeks after my IB results! I would love to do maths at Cambridge, but am worried that all the extra exams required, which are outside of my IB schedule (and when all my friends are travelling and enjoying summer☹️) will just make me really stressed. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any ways around it (eg sit STEP in year12, or sit another paper?) and will a Cambridge/ Warwick offer always include STEP?
Original post by Falcon11
Hi guys,
So I am considering applying for maths at uni but have noticed a slight drawback... I would really like to go to a prestigious maths uni, and think I am capable of getting in (predicted a 7 in HL maths), however Cambridge and Warwick both advertise a requirement for STEP papers. This would mean that 1 month after my IB exams finish I'll sit step 2and 3, then I won't get the step results until 6weeks after my IB results! I would love to do maths at Cambridge, but am worried that all the extra exams required, which are outside of my IB schedule (and when all my friends are travelling and enjoying summer☹️) will just make me really stressed. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any ways around it (eg sit STEP in year12, or sit another paper?) and will a Cambridge/ Warwick offer always include STEP?

You won't be able to sit STEP in Year 12 because you simply won't know enough (the clue is in the name "Sixth Term Examination Paper"). If you want to go to Cambridge you will need to bite the bullet and take their entrance examination papers.

Quick Reply

Latest