The Student Room Group

[UK] How to find out what's planned for teaching in future?

I'm a mature student (30) currently on my first year of a maths degree and considering teaching. I've heard a lot of negative things re teaching. And whenever it's something postive it seems to be along the lines of
OH well I work 25 hours a day and get paid in oxygen but this one time a child smiled at me.

This seems like such a poor attitude to me. Of course I've exaggerated there but the undertone for these kind of "you have to live it" statements is that no, teaching isn't a good career but if you have the right mental condition you might enjoy it.

This obviously puts off many people who're actually good and passionate about a subject, which is a real shame. 70 hour weeks for around 24K a year doesn't seem like great set up to me.

So is there any way to get a feel for where things are going teaching wise? How's the culture looking? How to find out projected government plans and such for this kind of thing?

would be good to discuss in general as I'm umming and ahhing at the moment.

Also - are there any other forums that are worth looking at?

cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ithinkso
I'm a mature student (30) currently on my first year of a maths degree and considering teaching. I've heard a lot of negative things re teaching. And whenever it's something postive it seems to be along the lines of

This seems like such a poor attitude to me. Of course I've exaggerated there but the undertone for these kind of "you have to live it" statements is that no, teaching isn't a good career but if you have the right mental condition you might enjoy it.

This obviously puts off many people who're actually good and passionate about a subject, which is a real shame. 70 hour weeks for around 24K a year doesn't seem like great set up to me.

So is there any way to get a feel for where things are going teaching wise? How's the culture looking? How to find out projected government plans and such for this kind of thing?

cheers!

I did my training at age 45. This was 6 years ago.

70 hours a week is realistic early in your career. This is unlikely to change. But remember you do have at least 13 weeks recovery time and you really do need it. I still do 60-70 hours a week but because I love it there is no problem.
Reply 2
I did my training at age 45. This was 6 years ago. 70 hours a week is realistic early in your career. This is unlikely to change. But remember you do have at least 13 weeks recovery time and you really do need it. I still do 60-70 hours a week but because I love it there is no problem.

Well no problem other than it puts off many (skilled) people from entering the profession. Which is a loss to the children at school.

To suggest that kind of work schedule (for the money) in a pretty serious position is remotely acceptable is pretty insane to me.

cheers!

70 hours per week is too high for a classroom teacher without additional responsibilities but over 50 hours per week would be quite typical. Don't get me wrong - I have no doubt that some people do put in 70 hour weeks but you can do a perfectly decent job on less time than this. If you are not careful, the job will expand to fill however much time you are prepared to give up.

There is no long term plan. Each Minister (or, in the current case, Prime Minister) makes up some daft ideas on the back of a fag packet (e.g. the expansion of grammar schools) and we all have to endure the consequences. You'll be able to get a handsome training bursary or a scholarship for mathematics so you could give it a try to see how it suits.

Many teachers hang out on https://community.tes.com/. Expect to encounter cynicism and negativity.
Original post by Mr M
70 hours per week is too high for a classroom teacher without additional responsibilities but over 50 hours per week would be quite typical. Don't get me wrong - I have no doubt that some people do put in 70 hour weeks but you can do a perfectly decent job on less time than this. If you are not careful, the job will expand to fill however much time you are prepared to give up.

There is no long term plan. Each Minister (or, in the current case, Prime Minister) makes up some daft ideas on the back of a fag packet (e.g. the expansion of grammar schools) and we all have to endure the consequences. You'll be able to get a handsome training bursary or a scholarship for mathematics so you could give it a try to see how it suits.

Many teachers hang out on https://community.tes.com/. Expect to encounter cynicism and negativity.

It depends whether you want to do a decent job or an excllent job.
Reply 5
thanks
Original post by Mr M

Yes - this is what I was leaning towards (re people just filling their life up with it). But even 50 is reasonably high, that's 10 hours a day (for a working week). Though I'm not sure how you're considering those hours (travel time?).

Original post by Mr M
There is no long term plan. Each Minister (or, in the current case, Prime Minister) makes up some daft ideas on the back of a fag packet (e.g. the expansion of grammar schools) and we all have to endure the consequences.

it's tricky, I don't have any feel for whether things are on the up or not. I know that there is some introduction of Asian maths curricula on a primary level in an attempt to mimic some of their successes, which at least shows some kind of willing. Though unless their willing to import the culture of parents caring for their children's education and teaching being more rewarding as a profession I can't imagine that much coming from it.

Original post by Mr M
You'll be able to get a handsome training bursary or a scholarship for mathematics so you could give it a try to see how it suits.

Yeah, there are a few things for it at the moment to make things a bit easier to get into. I have a lot of value for education (having a distinct lack of it myself when at school) and the idea interests me, but for 70 hours a week I'd rather learn how to predict how much insurance a firm needs to take out on whatever nonsense they're up to or something else.

Original post by Mr M

Ha yes, I expect a degree of moaning of course, the negatives are always louder online. Though what concerns me is that some of the positives I read seem to be pretty nutty in terms of "every fibre of my being is teaching if you don't like it then don't do it" or whatever. I met with a friend recently (PhD, works in engineering) who did a bit of experience in a school as they're interested, didn't leave too impressed though. thanks for the link and that.
Original post by TeachChemistry

I couldn't disagree more. There comes a point where work ceases to be productive. if I were line managing you, we'd be having words about restoring your work/life balance to prevent burn-out.
Well no problem other than it puts off many (skilled) people from entering the profession. Which is a loss to the children at school.

To suggest that kind of work schedule (for the money) in a pretty serious position is remotely acceptable is pretty insane to me.

If the facts of the situation put people off then surely that's a good thing.
Reply 8

If you can't see that working 70 hours for around 24 K is a pretty poor gig then I'm not sure what to say to you to be frank.
Original post by Mr M
I couldn't disagree more. There comes a point where work ceases to be productive. if I were line managing you, we'd be having words about restoring your work/life balance to prevent burn-out.

I am well aware of what I am capable of without burning out. If you were my line manager I would tell you my work/ life balance is my own concern but would thank you for yours.
Reply 10
If the facts of the situation put people off then surely that's a good thing.

Are you actually a troll?

Or perhaps cognitive dissonance has kicked in and you're just so happy to have some security later on in life you're willing to pledge allegiance to whatever insane flag the role comes with?

I think that people like you, and your attitude, are harmful to the industry and the education of children in this country.
If you can't see that working 70 hours for around 24 K is a pretty poor gig then I'm not sure what to say to you to be frank.

It's only 24K for the first year.

It depends what your motivation in life is. I used to work in industry with a salary of 80K. Means nothing. I feel the output of my work is so much more significant now.
Are you actually a troll?

Or perhaps cognitive dissonance has kicked in and you're just so happy to have some security later on in life you're willing to pledge allegiance to whatever insane flag the role comes with?

I think that people like you, and your attitude, are harmful to the industry and the education of children in this country.

You don't even know me so to get offensive is not called for.

I could show you letters of thanks from students and parents that I have received that shows your comments to be wrong.

Having showed your hand I would not suggest teaching is for you.
Yes - this is what I was leaning towards (re people just filling their life up with it). But even 50 is reasonably high, that's 10 hours a day (for a working week). Though I'm not sure how you're considering those hours (travel time?).

I wasn't including travel time. Expect to do 7/8 hours in school and an hour or two at home each day and half a day at the weekend. You'll also need to allow for one meeting per week after school and Parents' Evening etc. 50 hours would be a minimum really.

it's tricky, I don't have any feel for whether things are on the up or not. I know that there is some introduction of Asian maths curricula on a primary level in an attempt to mimic some of their successes, which at least shows some kind of willing. Though unless their willing to import the culture of parents caring for their children's education and teaching being more rewarding as a profession I can't imagine that much coming from it.

Things aren't on the up in secondary maths. The Shanghai stuff is an irrelevance. We have a new National Curriculum, a new GCSE and new A levels in maths and further maths so there is a lot of change. Fortunately SATs resits have been abandoned for the time being. Schools are going to have to manage significantly reduced budgets shortly.
I am well aware of what I am capable of without burning out. If you were my line manager I would tell you my work/ life balance is my own concern but would thank you for yours.

You'd be surprised. I have seen many teachers burn out (many never to return to the profession). Few saw it coming.
Original post by Mr M
You'd be surprised. I have seen many teachers burn out (many never to return to the profession). Few saw it coming.

If it came to it I could retire tomorrow and live a comfortable life. I choose not to.
Reply 16
It depends what your motivation in life is. I used to work in industry with a salary of 80K. Means nothing. I feel the output of my work is so much more significant now.

Yes, I've no doubt your output is more meaningful now (assuming that you're doing a good job ). However I find your attitude nonsense. Going around claiming that 70 hours a week for poor pay is OK is just mental. You're promoting a culture that STOPS skilled people entering the industry?? Insane.

(edited 7 years ago)
If it came to it I could retire tomorrow and live a comfortable life. I choose not to.

Well that's fine then. Most people are not in such a fortunate position though so it is important they are mindful of their well-being.
Reply 18
Original post by Mr M
I wasn't including travel time. Expect to do 7/8 hours in school and an hour or two at home each day and half a day at the weekend. You'll also need to allow for one meeting per week after school and Parents' Evening etc. 50 hours would be a minimum really.

Things aren't on the up in secondary maths. The Shanghai stuff is an irrelevance. We have a new National Curriculum, a new GCSE and new A levels in maths and further maths so there is a lot of change. Fortunately SATs resits have been abandoned for the time being. Schools are going to have to manage significantly reduced budgets shortly.

re the hours, fair.

Re the "on the up", that's concerning. I had read that the GCSE would be graded differently and that the problems would be a bit more meaningful? In terms of some proof introduction and such.

You mention the reduced budgets - what would that mean for someone getting into the profession? What's the first thing to go with a reduced budget at least?

cheers

I think I'll be taking suggestions from yourself pretty lightly.

In which case, good luck with your teaching application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending