Turn on thread page Beta

employment in application form watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I have some doubts about completing postgraduate application form which I'm about so send to the uni. For my course there's a requirement that I need at least two years experience in a familiar field to the course area. I'm going to start my studies in 2008 and by know I have worked for 1,5 years. In the application form there's a place to write current emloyment and currently I am waiting to sign the contract of emloyment but I don't know if I sign it in two weeks or in a month ( I'm a teacher and services are signed usually in the end of september or in the begining of october and I really want to send my appliction in a week or so)
    do you know if it changes anything if I write nothing in that place? why do they need it?:rolleyes: To make sure I earn enough to finance my studies? and what if my parents are going to finance my studies? Will they reject my application?
    I hope you understood my point and there's someone who can help me

ReputationRep:
    hi sell.

where are you applying to? it's easy to lie on application forms, particularly where they don't require proof of experience. i've exaggerated about my work experience before and nobody has ever checked (i don't even know how they would check!). are you saying that you will havew 18 months work experience by the time the course starts? im guessing your options are to (a) lie in an attempt to get a place on the course or (b) don't apply. i know what i'd go for!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 'going' to Reading and Southampton. I have NOW 18 months experience but to meet their requirements I need 6 more but it's not the problem because I will have it, even more by the time I start the course. I don't know if I need to have it in the time of applying or in the time of starting the course and currently I'm not employed ( I know that I 'll be but in a month probably or so) and in the application form I have to write the name of my former employer ( which again is not a problem because I was employed ) the problem is that I need to write my current employer and I'm afraid that if I write nothing there ( gosh complicated situation) they'll think that I won't be employed and by 2008 I won't get enough experience. Maybe I won't write dates of employment like strickt ones but just a year..do I overreact and exaggerate?

ReputationRep:
    aaaaaah ok.

you're in a better position than i thought.

for many courses it's normal to have the required work experience before your start the course, rather than before you apply. i'd put down 2 years and, if pulled up, say you will have it before you start. you have nothing to lose (apart from a year of your life waiting for the next academic year!).

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot...I think I'll write just years and that I'll be employed and'll get enough experience:/ and this 'nothing' to loose( meaning another year waiting) is too much unfortunately I have a life to live!

ReputationRep:
    indeed. when i said "nothing to lose" i was implying that you either apply now and take your chances, or wait a year. a year is a long time to wait so should apply now!

may i ask what field you are interested in? is it education/special education? if so, i think you will be fine at southampton. i have no idea about reading.

ReputationRep:
    well, I'm interested in Applied Linguistics and some of my lecturers told me that Reading is quite good in this field. I hope one of these universities will accept me

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.