Mythology Watch

delle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If anyone has any questions to do with mythology I would be happy to answer them
Mistletoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to know what the Ancient Britons worshipped and the Anglo-Saxons. I'd like to know why the days are named how they are eg Moonday, Tiw's Day, Wodan's Day, Thor's Day, Frigg's Day, Saturn's Day, Sun's Day, why do certain Gods own these days, is it because of the constellations? Or was there some activity associated with that God on those days. I have lots of questions, but it only pertains to the myths of peoples who inhabited the British Isles.

Also, do you know anything about the Druids? What was their business in Gaul?
JoshDawg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by delle)
If anyone has any questions to do with mythology I would be happy to answer them
As in all mythology ever? U have a degree in it or something?
delle
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshDawg)
As in all mythology ever? U have a degree in it or something?
yeah I suppose all mythology. and no I don't have a degree however I am extremely fascinated by any mythology and read many many mythology books per month
delle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mistletoe)
I want to know what the Ancient Britons worshipped and the Anglo-Saxons. I'd like to know why the days are named how they are eg Moonday, Tiw's Day, Wodan's Day, Thor's Day, Frigg's Day, Saturn's Day, Sun's Day, why do certain Gods own these days, is it because of the constellations? Or was there some activity associated with that God on those days. I have lots of questions, but it only pertains to the myths of peoples who inhabited the British Isles.

Also, do you know anything about the Druids? What was their business in Gaul?
I know that druids were the priests of the Celts and were therefore the holders of most knowledge when it came to what they believed in. they were also the physicians, the wizards, the diviners, the theologians, the scientists and the historians of their tribes. they were people who held high amounts of knowledge within the tribes. all spiritual power and all human knowledge was vested in them, and they ranked second to the kings and chiefs. they were freed from all contribution to the state. their decisions were final and any who disobeyed them were laid under a boycott.
in Gaul they borrowed splendour by imitating their more civilized neighbours. (unfortunately I do not know what their business was in Gaul and the research that I have done prior to me answering you did not provide the evidence that you needed to sufficiently answer this question, sorry).
the Celtic State worship was what is called "solar". All its chief festivals related to points in the sun's progress, the equinoxes having been considered more important than the solstices. it is therefore suggested that the ancient Brittons worshiped the sun and the stars, as nature had a strong influence on there beliefs.

the anglo saxons worshipped many gods as they were pagans. we are only aware of some of the gods that they worshipped such as Woden (he was the chief god and was known as Oden to the Vikings), Eostre (she was a spring goddess and gave her name to the celebration we now know as Easter), Thunor (he was known as Thor to the Vikings), Tiw (he gave his name to the day of the week Tuesday, his attributes were later taken by Thor and Odin, and may once have been the father of the gods, further implying that Tuesday was an important day) and Frigg (she was the wife of Odin and was the highest ranking goddess, her mother Frijia is the woman who the day of the week Friday is named after).

the gods may own the days because they were seen as being important and therefore each day may have been a particular day of worship. however constellations also played a big part at the time and they therefore may have also influenced why the days were named after the gods.

back in ancient Rome it was common practise to name the days of the week after the planets, which in turn were associated with Roman deities. Because Sunday was the first day of the week it was named after the largest heavenly body of the sky, the Sun.

tiu was the god of war and the sky (his day was Tuesday) and this implies that the days were named after things that people found in the sky that were linked to the gods that they believed in. as well as this Thor's day (Thursday) may be named because of things in the sky because Thor was a god of thunder. Frigga was the goddess of the sky which supports what was said above.

hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
15.49%
The paper was reasonable (1006)
55.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (387)
21.4%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
7.47%

Watched Threads