The Student Room Group

US expels 35 Russian diplomats for alleged election intervention

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
Nice "contribution", mate :wink:

Am I supposed to respond seriously for someone calling for Russia to 'pay the price badly'.

Are you volunteering for the war effort?
The Russians don't fear us, but with the right leadership, they will. Trump might be hemmed in by the decent people in his administration (like General 'Mad Dog' Mattis), or we might have to wait four years for the leadership we need. But Russia has sowed the wind and so shall it reap the whirlwind

Any big talk is pointless.

Russia has enough nukes to wipe the US off the map if it wants, so it doesn't need to "fear" the US any more than the US fears them.

Now if the US could cyber disable all their weapons systems it might be a game changer but even then lets be honest if the US could nuke Russia and not have any retaliation it would still make the US worse off, it would be a bigger global shock than the financial crisis and the US would be worse off economically so there isn't a win there either.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Russia has enough nukes to wipe the US off the map if it wants, so it doesn't need to "fear" the US any more than the US fears them.

That's preposterous. Russia isn't going to start a nuclear war over harsh sanctions and cyber punishments. The fact they have nuclear weapons is neither here nor there when assessing questions of cyber-deterrence.

So yes, they should fear what we can do to cripple their economy and isolate them from the civilised world. They can't punish us in the way we can punish them. They are the laughable shadow of their former self, the US is still the world superpower. The balance in that relationship should be quite clear; if the Russians have forget, they should be made to remember.

As mentioned above, it's hilarious how right-wingers are suddenly peace activists when it comes to their beloved fascist leaders Putin and Trump
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Now if the US could cyber disable all their weapons systems it might be a game changer but even then lets be honest if the US could nuke Russia and not have any retaliation it would still make the US worse off, it would be a bigger global shock than the financial crisis and the US would be worse off economically so there isn't a win there either.

The new right-wing dispensation on foreign policy appears to be, "Russia has nukes therefore we should just do what they say. If you disagree, you're a warmonger who wants World War 3". Pathetic.
Original post by Maidenhair
Yeah, thanks Russia. Also thanks for carpet bombing Aleppo, you are a moral force of profoundly great integrity. Russia is so good and America is so bad, innit. I support Putin and I'm not stupid at all, no.

More strawmans. Please come back when you actually learn how to debate properly.
They called this the evidence? Lol. Okay...here are some questions..

1) how did the agents get those names ( page 4)? Illegal techniques?

2) how do the agents know they are really Russian spies? Just a possibility?

3) how do the agents know those spies made Clinton a loser?

Do they have any better evidence? Frankly,the documents are just crap!

However,this is good news for the world! :-)

https://www.rt.com/news/372256-putin-diplomats-expulsion-rejects/

Obama, the meddling kid, did fail (again).

1483109450607.jpg

1483109470411.jpg

1483109490007.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't agree that it looks like that, at all.

We need to respond, very strongly. Russia needs to fear us, and they don't because President Obama's foreign policy has been shamefully weak. Foreign powers construe his "coolness" as weakness.

Russia has to pay, big time, for this. An attack on our election is an act that touches on our most sensitive and grave national interests. We should be **** them up in a big cyber attack; cripple their banking network, switch the power grid on and off in Moscow, make it clear who is the superpower and who is the laughable, pathetic shadow of its former self. They won't respond because they cannot maintain escalation dominance, and they can't afford to lose as much as we can afford to. Fundamentally, if a foreign power feels they are able to act in this way, then the whole point of the military and intelligence agencies (to protect us from being coerced and manipulated by foreign powers) has failed. We need to re-establish our dominance.

But that will be costly. And ultimately, President Obama is to blame. It is his weakness that the Russians have responded to. They must be made to pay, but President Obama must take the lion's share of the blame.

Or the democrats could have fielded a candidate and election campaign capable of defeating trump. A handful of rogue Russian diplomats does not win an election on their own.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Or the democrats could have fielded a candidate and election campaign capable of defeating trump. A handful of rogue Russian diplomats does not win an election on their own.

It's unclear how the sufficiency of the Democratic candidate makes Russia's hacking and interference in an American election okay. But I suppose these days the hard left and the alt-right will say and do pretty much anything to justify their anti-Clinton hysteria and pro-Russian bootlicking.
It's unclear how the sufficiency of the Democratic candidate makes Russia's hacking and interference in an American election okay. But I suppose these days the hard left and the alt-right will say and do pretty much anything to justify their anti-Clinton hysteria and pro-Russian bootlicking.

Or Liberals could take some responsibility for endangering liberal democracy by playing fast and loose with neoliberal economics. The people screwed over by the american oligarchy wouldn't have felt the urge to vote for trump if the Democrats were capable and/or cared about helping them.

It doesn't matter what the morals are. Powers do this sort of thing. You have to factor that in. America does and has done it as well. The irony of the CIA publicly complaining about a foreign fright wing power interfering in an election. Russia did not finance a coup or anything, the democrats just played a piss poor job of defeating someone who should have been easily defeatable no matter how of any Russian interference.
I agree that in reality, Trump gains nothing politically from his Putin love-in (going forward at least; the hack was extremely helpful). He seems to genuinely believe in this, and there is no question that the alt-right loves Putin. Hence you have Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State and Michael Flynn as National Security Adviser, both could be considered friends of the Russian president.

We probably haven't seen a pro-Russian figure this high in the US government since the days of Alger Hiss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alger_Hiss

Trump, straight after the election, should have cut off Putin and said, "Although these actions may have benefited me, I do not support them. Russia will pay for its presumption as I did not seek or want their help". But of course he won't.

Questions are being asked about whether Trump isn't just ideologically pro-Russian but actually has been recruited as an agent by Russian intelligence. A former CIA counterintelligence officer believes so, and claims he has evidence

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/veteran-spy-gave-fbi-info-alleging-russian-operation-cultivate-donald-trump

At a minimum my coping mechanism is that the advisers Trump has hired are silly and will be forced by circumstance to give up their admiration of Russia for the sake of America. And I hope Trump has already realised this. Though it's good if he humours Putin for now and keep him at bay until we are in a stronger position. The expulsion of the diplomats could possibly force him to skip that though.

But I am very spectical about Trump being "hired" by Russia- really? What does a self centred billionaire German care about Russia or whatever "pay" it can offer?
Original post by LibertyMan

But I am very spectical about Trump being "hired" by Russia- really? What does a self centred billionaire German care about Russia or whatever "pay" it can offer?

Pay is only one of the ways intelligence services recruit people. Others are ideology, or flattery, or manipulation, or blackmail.

We do know that Trump has been kept afloat by Russian money (commercial money, but Putin basically owns everything in Russia anyway in the way Kim Jong Un owns everything in North Korea. Legal ownership is irrelevant when you can seize whatever you want and businessmen are constantly fearful of government scrutiny). Trump is far less rich than he claims and his entire empire is built on debt, which means it's a constant game of musical chairs to find financing so you can cover interest payments as they come due (which they do frequently when your credit is bad, as you can only obtain short-term credit)

Trump is also part of the Alex Jones crowd who adore Putin for, in their eyes, "opposing the New World Order". Also, if Trump is flattered by the Russians and he's made to feel as though he's important to them, he'd likely be willing to provide them with information and work with them. And once he's done that, he's locked in; they can blackmail him at any time by threatening to release recordings of their meetings. Trump is an extremely stupid and gullible individual, it wouldn't be hard, at all, to manipulate him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pay is only one of the ways intelligence services recruit people. Others are ideology, or flattery, or manipulation, or blackmail.

We do know that Trump has been kept afloat by Russian money (commercial money, but Putin basically owns everything in Russia anyway in the way Kim Jong Un owns everything in North Korea. Legal ownership is irrelevant when you can seize whatever you want and businessmen are constantly fearful of government scrutiny). Trump is far less rich than he claims and his entire empire is built on debt, which means it's a constant game of musical chairs to find financing so you can cover interest payments as they come due (which they do frequently when your credit is bad, as you can only obtain short-term credit)

Trump is also part of the Alex Jones crowd who adore Putin for, in their eyes, "opposing the New World Order". Also, if Trump is flattered by the Russians and he's made to feel as though he's important to them, he'd likely be willing to provide them with information and work with them. And once he's done that, he's locked in; they can blackmail him at any time by threatening to release recordings of their meetings. Trump is an extremely stupid and gullible individual, it wouldn't be hard, at all, to manipulate him.

I can see where you are coming from, though I still don't quite agree. There is a point at which debt stops to matter, ie when you are an old man with numbered days, and you are the president of the United States. Yes, it would pass on to his children, but even Trump and they can see the bigger picture- what is debt when he has reached such a height? Would Trump be a person who would respect debt when his mark on history has been made and he is absolutely unobliged to pay?

He also really is not an alex jones type of person. He has already worked with enough politicians to know there is no world order conspiracy, though that doesn't stop him from exploiting the dumb infowars crowd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending