Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello...just a little bit of advice needed, i know I'm a newbie and that but i just need an intellectual interpretation of my problem, I'm 17 and I like a man who is 27, do you you think age is an issue? please help. thanks guys. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberries)
    hello...just a little bit of advice needed, i know I'm a newbie and that but i just need an intellectual interpretation of my problem, I'm 17 and I like a man who is 27, do you you think age is an issue? please help. thanks guys. :confused:
    In the words of Niles Crane (from Fraiser) - "Its doesn't matter what I think - you already know what you think; like all patients you are just seeking me to confirm that you have made the right choice"

However in the words of me - Just remember when you are 40 he will be 50. If you think it could last then go for it though.

ReputationRep:
    The general consensus is that in an adult relationship, an age gap of ten years or under usually raises no eyebrows.

ReputationRep:
    Age gap is too big in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Well it would depend if you're the kind of person who likes acceptance, if you do, then yes age should matter and going for a younger guy would be your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    does the guy like you?

ReputationRep:
    Well no I don't think age matters unless:
    One of the people is under 16
    The age difference is greater that it actually seems, ie the older person is extremely mature for their age or the younger person is extremely immature for their age
    The two people are living in different worlds, ie if one is married with kids wheras the other is still at school
    The age gap is massive

I cant really comment on what I think about your situation because I don't know what you, or the guy involved are like. If you are quite mature and he is young at heart then you may be fine. 10 years is pushing it as to how bit an age gap i would be happy with but it really does depend on the people involved.

In general though if you're living in the same kind of worlds and you feel mature enough to be in such a relationship then I don't think you should say no straight away because of the age gap. It's the mental age gap and how it effects your relationship that matters the most.

Just dont get too serious too soon with someone a lot older than you cus its easy to end up missing out on being young a little bit when they've already had the chance to do that.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you what to do - flip a coin, look at the result and then deside what heads and tails represents - you will be longing for one of them to win.

However I have to agree with imasillynarb about the gap.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and with a 34 year old... we love each other *loads* but the age gap is definitely an issue, more for him than for me. I don't want to write all about his feelings on here as they are private, and I guess it varies from relationship to relationship. What does he think about it?

ReputationRep:
    he has said he likes me, and i feel he likes me, but I know the age gap is on his mind and what others think,

ReputationRep:
    he has said he likes me, and i feel he likes me, but I know the age gap is on his mind and what others think,
    Yeah, what others think seems to be an issue with my bloke too. Would you say you were mature for your age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I'm 18 and with a 34 year old... we love each other *loads* but the age gap is definitely an issue, more for him than for me. I don't want to write all about his feelings on here as they are private, and I guess it varies from relationship to relationship. What does he think about it?
    I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 24. Before i met him i always used to think girls who has bfs more than a year or two older than them were mad, so never say never. It isn't a big deal for us as I'm quite mature for my age and hes a big kid - infact i think i act older than he does sometimes! I still do the same immature, teenagerish things as I used to when I'm with him....I've never tried to make him think I'm more "grown up" than I am.

Maybe when i finish uni at 21 and hes 27 ill notice the age difference more but until then things are great and I'm just going to see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    yeh...fairly mature

ReputationRep:
    yeh...fairly mature
    Maybe you could elaborate on the situation? Has anything happened between you?

ReputationRep:
    Is he your teacher then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Is he your teacher then?
    I was just thinking that...

If so, I'd say that maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to get involved with him, because then things become really complicated and he could lose his job

ReputationRep:
    One of my good friends, when she was 16 met a guy that was 26. She moved in with him and has been with him for the past 4 years. He is 30 this year and they are still going strong.

ReputationRep:
    *putting the pieces together, although perhaps in the wrong way*

You cannot go out with your teacher! Besides, a ten year age gap when the youngest person is below 20 very rarely works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Besides, a ten year age gap when the youngest person is below 20 very rarely works out.
    *cries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    *cries*
    *consoles*

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.