Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right...

I'm doing my personal statement at the moment and I have a really bad feeling about the amount of work-experience that I have done. My current work-experience is as follows...

2 weeks vet-clinic
    1 week dairy farm
    1 week at Leahurst (large animals)
    Every saturday for a year worked with horses.
    Plus learnt how to ride a horse (does that count as work-experience? not entirely sure)

I was also supposed to get a week at Reaseheath for a residential about husbandry, but it was cancelled due to the foot & mouth scare. However they are re-scheduling it so i'll still be going on it in the future.

My main problem is, is that enough work experience to have done at this point? I'm certainly doing plenty more throughout my A2 year, and I will mention that on my personal statement, but is it enough to have done at this point in time?

I'm applying for Liverpool/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Glasgow (in that order of preference)

Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well, at the personal statement stage you dont have to say the exact amount of work experience. Talk about spending time at xyz, interesting cases, let them know you were generally paying attention. That way you can collect more experience before they ask you for the details. You can even say that you have abc planned for the following months/summer.

I would guess that what you have atm isnt too far off, from what i know they like to know you have spent time at more than 1 establishment (which we chatted about in all my interviews) for example more than 1 small animal clinic, more than 1 farm so try and vary your experience. Rambling here but just things that come into my mind atm but if you can try and go at interesting times, for example tuberculosis testing of cattle, more unique surgical procedures (eg I organised a trip to observe a Tibial plateau levelling osteotomy), if you can goto an abatiore thats a good talking point.

Probably more suited to someone who is starting their work experience not finishing it off, but the above things in particular were life savers at all my interviews and personal statement. Liverpool for example asks at one of the stations for a case you have been particularly interested in.

ReputationRep:
    You have plently large animal but all u need is a couple more weeks veterinary. Its fine to say that you have it organised - give dates so its more official and they know you're not just making it up.

Theres a sticky about work exp that u really should have posted this in lol!

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking :p: I didn't make that thing for fun

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2007

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.