Dropping out of masters due to depression

Watch
This discussion is closed.
xfootiecrazeesarax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in a massive, emotional arguement with my sister for about 18 months now, and it's made me really depressed.

I started a masters in september and ive done around half of the work i would have done without the depression due to this.

If I drop out :
a) I'm guessing I loose all money and still need to pay everything full
b) does it dramatically reduce my chances of getting a PHD- my undergrad is in maths and physics, masters is in maths,
(i was speaking to a friend who ended up using her maths to do a phd in neurology or something, and so the first year consisted of a masters pretty much in neurology..this sort of phd, would I still have a chance?)

I'd go when circumstances are better and the depression has gone...

Many thanks.
academic_sloth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not doing a masters, but I had a bad time of it with depression last year which nearly resulted in me dropping out of uni. Instead I spoke to my course leader and it was agreed for me to take the rest of the year off and come back to restart the year in September, basically they just postponed my degree so that I could focus on getting better. Depression can feel like you're never going to get better at the worst times, but believe me you will, you just need the time to heal so maybe speak to your personal tutor or the uni wellbeing service about an alternative? At least even if you could put the course off until next Sept and then decide whether you want to go back or not, you've given yourself some time to recover and clear your mind.

Depression sucks, but please hang in there, and please, speak to your uni wellbeing service - they are there to help you and get you through this, you're definitely not on your own.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You dont need to pay all the fees usually just the first third of the year if you drop out now. I dropped out in January after a breakdown from social anxiety where I thought people were plotting against me and went back two years later. My social anxiety was still as bad and I had a more severe drink problem by then on top so I should have just stick the first masters out.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd talk to your university, my bet is that they'd allow you to switch to part time.
Eva1993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I know you wrote this a long time ago but hoping you can give me some insight to this. I hope you’re feeling better now though then you were last time you wrote! I dropped out at the very end of my masters due to very bad anxiety and depression which is been dealing with all year. I now am in a better place and would love to go back and do a masters, however that year was so stressful I don’t want to get back in touch with my supervisors but I would need to in order to get a reference to apply elsewhere, did you have to deal with this at all? Thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed