xfootiecrazeesarax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started a masters in september but due to personal circumstances i have been depressed for about 18 months, and I was hoping the masters would help me delete all the depression but it hasn't and is effecting my productivity.

b) does it dramatically reduce my chances of getting a PHD if I drop out- my undergrad is in maths and physics, masters is in maths,
(i was speaking to a friend who ended up using her maths to do a phd in neurology or something, and so the first year consisted of a masters pretty much in neurology..this sort of phd, would I still have a chance?)

I'd go when circumstances are better and the depression has gone...

Many thanks.
Len Goodman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Was your undergrad degree a BSc or a MMath/MSci? If the former, then you will likely need a Masters to go onto a PhD, if the latter, you should be good to go straight to PhD.

Of course this all depends on the quality of your application, your undergraduate grades, the reputation of your undergraduate university, and the reputations of the universities you plan to apply to. At the lower ranked universities there's a slight chance you'll get away with just a BSc as they tend to struggle for bums on seats when it comes to PhD applications.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)
I started a masters in september but due to personal circumstances i have been depressed for about 18 months, and I was hoping the masters would help me delete all the depression but it hasn't and is effecting my productivity.

b) does it dramatically reduce my chances of getting a PHD if I drop out- my undergrad is in maths and physics, masters is in maths,
(i was speaking to a friend who ended up using her maths to do a phd in neurology or something, and so the first year consisted of a masters pretty much in neurology..this sort of phd, would I still have a chance?)

Many thanks.
Well, a bad Master won't help either, so maybe just battle depression first and then begin again? A PHD won't become easier, hence in case your only barrier is your illness, then you probably have to reduce that barrier at first to at least to a level, that you are able to study again.

In case you have a good reason for dropping out of a course, it should not harm you to progress in the long run. It doesn't make it easier, of course, but worst case scenario is a really bad Master plus you still being to depressed or even more depressed anyway, so maybe not able to do a PHD anyway.

Are you able to take a break due to illness and then finish the Master?
Maidenhair
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing exactly what you are trying to do - a PhD without a masters.

Honestly, masters seems *harder* than a PhD, it just takes less time. Honestly, 3.5 years of masters would have killed my love of math.

My reason for dropping out of masters was that I experienced stress and also headaches that did not subside until leaving London (accomodation was old, busy roads everywhere).

For me it wasn't so much depression as being out of touch with nature. Scientists are now quantifying this somewhat bleedingly obvious issue (no green plants/trees = depression and despair).

So to answer your question chances are >0, it depends on people you want to study with, but probably not Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick/London, but the actual people (mathematicians) would be most important. Definitely work out what you want to study and who, then try contacting them.

For anxiety I would recommend Talking to people, Exercise, Dark Chocolate, Valerian Root, and the True/Purple Passionflower. Not sure about depression, except don't whatever you do, under any circumstances, take pharmeceutical antidepressants. Even St Jon's Wort is a bit weird, and that's natural, let alone the super-dodgy synthetic stuff that big pharma peddles.
Nathanielle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maidenhair)
... except don't whatever you do, under any circumstances, take pharmeceutical antidepressants.....
On what evidence do you base that horrible advice? You are totally free to decide for yourself not wanting to get help etc., but don't advice others not to get the help they might need.
Cranfield University
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)

Many thanks.
First of all- and most importantly- I hope you do recover from the depression. And it is possible to recover. Get help from a professional who should be able to ascertain the underlying causes of the depression and then recommend a treatment for it- not necessarily medical.

You can get into a PhD without a MSc. It is possible as long as you have excellent grades for your undergrad and at A-Levels. And you wrote a very good undergrad dissertation. Make sure you have thought of a specific area and you've written an excellent PhD research proposal before you make the PhD application.

If the area is not well-populated with researchers, then that increases your chances. Luckily, Maths and Physics are amongst those areas.

Perhaps not Oxbridge and Russell Group universities but it is certainly possible to get into a PhD degree without a Masters- and you won't be the first to do so! Good luck with that!
Len Goodman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cranfield University)
First of all- and most importantly- I hope you do recover from the depression. And it is possible to recover. Get help from a professional who should be able to ascertain the underlying causes of the depression and then recommend a treatment for it- not necessarily medical.

You can get into a PhD without a MSc. It is possible as long as you have excellent grades for your undergrad and at A-Levels. And you wrote a very good undergrad dissertation. Make sure you have thought of a specific area and you've written an excellent PhD research proposal before you make the PhD application.

If the area is not well-populated with researchers, then that increases your chances. Luckily, Maths and Physics are amongst those areas.

Perhaps not Oxbridge and Russell League universities but it is certainly possible to get into a PhD degree without a Masters- and you won't be the first to do so! Good luck with that!
That's Russell GROUP. Not that you'd know, of course.
Cranfield University
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Len Goodman)
That's Russell GROUP. Not that you'd know, of course.
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (426)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.43%

Watched Threads