what is A level government and politics like? Watch

Bethhmaii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thinking about taking it, sounds interesting and sounds like something I would enjoy. Although I have small knowledge about it. Has anyone done the course and have some info about?
Loopy91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Politics side of the course is actually quite interesting, but you have to jump through hoops in the exam to get it right.
Government side is booooring but eaaasy. You learn about the mechanics of the constitution and it's just ughhh
I did the Edexcel specification by the way. Politics is Unit 1 and Government is Unit 2 for AS.
Bethhmaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loopy91)
The Politics side of the course is actually quite interesting, but you have to jump through hoops in the exam to get it right.
Government side is booooring but eaaasy. You learn about the mechanics of the constitution and it's just ughhh
I did the Edexcel specification by the way. Politics is Unit 1 and Government is Unit 2 for AS.
Thank you for the reply, this helped!!
bioenthusiast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm currently an AS Government and Politics student on Edexcel.
Personally, I don't find it too hard and I find it very interesting. However do beware it is very essay heavy and the exam timings are horrendous - 80 marks in 80 minutes!
Unit 1 on my exam board is about the Politics side, you have 80 mins in the exam and you choose 2 out of 4 topics to answer. Each section has a 5, 10 and 25 marker.
Unit 2 is government based and we learn about the logistics and set up of the UK's government. The exam for this is also 80 marks in 80 minutes, with 4 topics and you choose 2. The first question is another a, b, c type with a 5, 10 and 25 marker. Then the second question is source based and then there's a 40 mark essay.

Overall, it's a great subject to take and I strongly recommend it.. what are you planning to do after sixth form? That may factor in whether it's a good choice
Bethhmaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
Hi, I'm currently an AS Government and Politics student on Edexcel.
Personally, I don't find it too hard and I find it very interesting. However do beware it is very essay heavy and the exam timings are horrendous - 80 marks in 80 minutes!
Unit 1 on my exam board is about the Politics side, you have 80 mins in the exam and you choose 2 out of 4 topics to answer. Each section has a 5, 10 and 25 marker.
Unit 2 is government based and we learn about the logistics and set up of the UK's government. The exam for this is also 80 marks in 80 minutes, with 4 topics and you choose 2. The first question is another a, b, c type with a 5, 10 and 25 marker. Then the second question is source based and then there's a 40 mark essay.

Overall, it's a great subject to take and I strongly recommend it.. what are you planning to do after sixth form? That may factor in whether it's a good choice
Thank you, i'm planning to do something in law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads