Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all !

It's getting closer and closer to the UCAS applications and I've just had some major second thoughts, perhaps you could help me out

I've been doing French for about 15 years and started German when I was 14 [3 years ago] and have REALLY enjoyed it. The only reason I took German GCSE and not Latin was because my dad convinced me that whereas Latin provides bases for derivations etc of other languages, German would be much better CV-wise and also from a business perspective. I was also planning to just take German at university but then realised I needed something a bit more if I wanted to land a dream job

So all summer I've had in my head that I'm going to apply for German and Italian [ab initio] and now 3 days before going back to school I'm considering changing that completely and replacing Italian with something like Mandarin or Russian.

I understand English is in the Germanic language family too but French being a romance language of the Italic family and German being in the Germanic family is probably what made me enjoy it so much - because it's pronounciation and appearance is so very different. Given that, I'm beginning to put myself off doing Italian merely because it'll be like French which if I'm honest - is a bit boring now.

What to do TSR ???

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd do German and French with those fantastic results AS results! Even though you find it rather boring now, you do not have to have it as a major focus to your degree. Or alterntively, if you find it easy, why not take it as a third language in a degree?

I personally think that it'd be such a waste of a talent if you did not take it to degree level.

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks but I've been learning it since I was 2 and I'd still like to continue it when visiting France etc. - just not at university. I'm looking for something new, French just seems a bit "plain" for my liking?

ReputationRep:
    Purely from what I've heard about it, if you like the German cases and that sort of thing then Russian would be good.

ReputationRep:
    Italian is supposed to be pretty similar to French, so if you're getting a bit bored of Romance languages now and want something different and more of a challenge, either Russian or Chinese would be good, whichever you think you'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    People keep telling me German and Russian is a good combo for business, because of Germany and Russia's dominance in eastern Europe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2007

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.