Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought I was quite a clever student academically:

I got a bunch of a* at GCSE and 3A's (maths, englit, history) a B (french) (and an A in Critical Thinking at AS Level.) (My A's however not being that high..)

However, spending a few hours on this has changed my mind, everyone seems to get straight A's with 120/120 or suchlike in all their modules, and I'm beginning to change my mind about studying law, at the top uni's as i'd always wanted to with such competition...

Am I being silly, or does anyone feel the same? do you think i should lover my standards (was thinking of durham, bristol, warwick, notts, leicester) and do you think i should try and carry on 4 subjects instead of dropping french?

???

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel depressed about it at all. The fact is, you should never compare yourself to others, only to yourself.
    If you're working to the best of your ability, be proud of yourself, and make the choices that suit you.
    Your grades are great, so don't drop your standards just because people on here might have even higher grades; aim for what YOU want and let the universities be the judge, not the members of TSR.

ReputationRep:

I got a bunch of a* at GCSE and 3A's (maths, englit, history) a B (french) (and an A in Critical Thinking at AS Level.) (My A's however not being that high..)

However, spending a few hours on this has changed my mind, everyone seems to get straight A's with 120/120 or suchlike in all their modules, and I'm beginning to change my mind about studying law, at the top uni's as i'd always wanted to with such competition...

Am I being silly, or does anyone feel the same? do you think i should lover my standards (was thinking of durham, bristol, warwick, notts, leicester) and do you think i should try and carry on 4 subjects instead of dropping french?

???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkadotprincess)

???
    You've got good grades, but what you're realising now is that a lot of other people do as well. That's why you really have to want to study the course that you've chosen and really really want to go to a particular uni. It's good that you know what you want to do as it sets you apart from a lot of other people. Anybody can get A grades in exams if they sit and memorise all the answers. Top universities will be looking for more than that; ability to cope with demands of the course, commitmentand enthusiasm amongst other qualities. It's not all about grades and subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkadotprincess)

???
    I know how you feel. I think TSR is disproportionately populated by high-achievers. Also, the only people who normally advertise their grades in their signatures are people with extremely high grades, not mediocre grades, so this makes you think that everyone around you is much cleverer than you are. You are very clever academically and I imagine are in the top 20% (at the very least) more of the people who take A levels.

You don't have to put module marks on your UCAS form, but you do now have to put what grade you achieved in each module - so since you got a low A, this may be apparent by what grades you got for each module, or it may not (for instance, if you managed to get a low A in all six modules for an A level subject, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between you and someone who got a high A in all six modules).

Law is the most popular course and is extremely competitive at the top universities. However, with 3-4 As you should be fine. Make sure you apply to a good spread of universities, perhaps 5 ambitious choices and then two middle-ranking choices for safety.

Don't lower you standards. I feel the same about my GCSEs... I don't want to give up though and I don't think you should either. Just because people manage to get full marks it doesn't make them any better than you are. Be proud of what you've achieved and try not to compare yourself to other people. I know it's hard (I do it!). Also, not every single student in the UK comes on TSR. In fact, I'm pretty sure only the really dedicated students come on here. Hardly anyone I know has even heard of this forum! Only 25% in state schools manage to get A grades at A level... I doubt for one minute that this forum represents all of those who are aspiring to go to top universities. Keep your chin up. You've done brilliantly and you shouldn't put yourself down. Unis also take into account your PS, reference and general dedication. Don't give up the dream of studying law. You'll only regret it.

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:
    TSR always does that!
    But don't base anything on what you see here. TSR is not a fair representation of the country. There are so many people here that do amazingly well...just don't look at them :p:!
    Be confident with what you've got and go for it! Good Luck!

It's up to you whether or not you take 4 A levels. If you do drop one, I'd drop the one you least enjoy. You've got a good bunch of subjects there... not one is vocational and you definitely sound clever enough to study law. There isn't any harm in trying. With those grades I can imagine you would be offered a couple of conditional offers, at least.

ReputationRep:
    TSR is NOT representative of young people. If you've achieved your expectations, then you have done well, and you have to be proud of yourself for that.

ReputationRep:
    Spend more time in Chat.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If it makes you feel better I got a BCC at A level and I'm not going to a top uni But I am doing what I want to do and that I enjoy so who cares really. Getting top grades isn't all that to me.....

Basically, don't get hung up on what other people have got. Find something you enjoy, at a uni that you like

ReputationRep:
    TSR is a disproportionate representation - not a surprise really, because its very nature as a student/academic forum would only attract the people who are most school-oriented. At my school if you got one A at A level you are considered a genius; compared to the national average your grades are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Do not lower your standards! Why should you give up something you have always wanted to do because of someone else?

You have to understand that there is a hell lotta competition, but that doesn't mean that you gotta be scared, and lose hope.
    So, what if you see people getting full marks and what not? You do great already. Don't let other people get you down. Concentrate on yourself, and doing YOUR best, and don't for one moment think that your best isn't good enough.

If you're always looking for someone better than you, you're always going to find it no matter who you are, and how great (or not) you think you might be.

So, stop comparing!

ReputationRep:
    only the people that did really well tell you their grades.
    it does seem that an unusual number of people on here got really high grades, but realistically it is not that many people, but the smae people posting lots so you are constantly reminded of how well theyve done

ReputationRep:
    They're probably lying just to look smart dont worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackswan)
    They're probably lying just to look smart dont worry about it
    lol xD so true xD jk jk :P

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it gets you to grips with the reality of academic standards and competition. All the "most intelligent" people are spread out throughout the country, so it's not a surprise you only run into (some of) them online...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, sometimes not.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I didn't feel as happy as I thought I was going to about my AS results because everywhere you look everyone had AAAAA.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.