The Student Room Group

Teach me how to study!

Hey guys, I'm finishing university this year, with a good grade (hopefully) and I managed to get through school and first couple of years of uni with virtually no studying. I would do less than the minimum required and still end up with a 2:1. As I now wish to pursue a career in Academia I need to learn how to sit my a** down and study. I find it extremely hard, I keep looking for shortcuts and "clever" ways to write good essays but I can't keep doing this. I've been diagnosed with mild ADHD but I don't want to take pills, at least not every day!
Anybody feels the same? Similar experiences? Tips?
:albertein:
Original post by elekro
Hey guys, I'm finishing university this year, with a good grade (hopefully) and I managed to get through school and first couple of years of uni with virtually no studying. I would do less than the minimum required and still end up with a 2:1. As I now wish to pursue a career in Academia I need to learn how to sit my a** down and study. I find it extremely hard, I keep looking for shortcuts and "clever" ways to write good essays but I can't keep doing this. I've been diagnosed with mild ADHD but I don't want to take pills, at least not every day!
Anybody feels the same? Similar experiences? Tips?
:albertein:

Have you spoken to student support about your ADHD? Are you doing what you can to work with it instead of against it? I tend to find I need to study in sort brusts or my reading goes downhill because of my dyslexia, there is no answer for everybody as everyone's brain is different unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Have you spoken to student support about your ADHD? Are you doing what you can to work with it instead of against it? I tend to find I need to study in sort brusts or my reading goes downhill because of my dyslexia, there is no answer for everybody as everyone's brain is different unfortunately.

That's the thing I don't want to take pills cause I want to learn to work with it. Up to now I made it, but when it comes to masters and PhD there's gonna be a LOT more reading. The way I work is random sparks of inspiration to study, or when I'm under pressure I work very well as I kind of separate my attention on two things: the pressure, and the study. But it's exhausting and it prevents me from getting firsts. The uni support is just additional time for exams and extended deadlines. :/ Meh...
Original post by elekro
That's the thing I don't want to take pills cause I want to learn to work with it. Up to now I made it, but when it comes to masters and PhD there's gonna be a LOT more reading. The way I work is random sparks of inspiration to study, or when I'm under pressure I work very well as I kind of separate my attention on two things: the pressure, and the study. But it's exhausting and it prevents me from getting firsts. The uni support is just additional time for exams and extended deadlines. :/ Meh...

I m not trained so dont take my word as gospel but from what I've read adhd medications are only prescribed to children apart from really severe cases as an adult so I dont think you could get pills even if you wanted to but i can see where you are coming from, no such thing exists but i wouldnt take medication to treat my dyslexia and dyspraxia if such a thing existed ( i know caffiene is a drug and i drink coffee whilst studying but that doesnt count:P)
Your uni didn't offer you a study support tutor then? Have you asked for specific feedback about why they didnt award a first?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I m not trained so dont take my word as gospel but from what I've read adhd medications are only prescribed to children apart from really severe cases as an adult so I dont think you could get pills even if you wanted to but i can see where you are coming from, no such thing exists but i wouldnt take medication to treat my dyslexia and dyspraxia if such a thing existed ( i know caffiene is a drug and i drink coffee whilst studying but that doesnt count:P)
Your uni didn't offer you a study support tutor then? Have you asked for specific feedback about why they didnt award a first?

I actually was prescribed medication, but even my doctor told me not to take it every day and only take it when I really really really need to sit down and work. But even with that, I start writing an essay 30 mins later(instead of 10 without the pill) I find myself cleaning the house and I don't even remember how I got there. It's annoying because my family keeps saying that I'm just lazy because I'm clever and I don't try hard enough. But it's not the case!

Were you 'stigmatised' at all due to the dyslexia or were people more understanding and accepted it?
Original post by elekro
I actually was prescribed medication, but even my doctor told me not to take it every day and only take it when I really really really need to sit down and work. But even with that, I start writing an essay 30 mins later(instead of 10 without the pill) I find myself cleaning the house and I don't even remember how I got there. It's annoying because my family keeps saying that I'm just lazy because I'm clever and I don't try hard enough. But it's not the case!

Were you 'stigmatised' at all due to the dyslexia or were people more understanding and accepted it?

I'm sorry about your family, that's not the attitude you want to be dealing with. My family have always been supportive, school was awful but since uni pretty much I've experienced fairly accepting attitudes.
Sounds a bit strange but if I m having a day where I really hate my brain, I read my diagnostic report to remind myself that on paper yes I have weaknesses but the things I am good at I m incredibly good at and that my brain is making up for it in some ways so I believe that I m intelligent again.
Reply 6
I'm sorry about your family, that's not the attitude you want to be dealing with. My family have always been supportive, school was awful but since uni pretty much I've experienced fairly accepting attitudes.
Sounds a bit strange but if I m having a day where I really hate my brain, I read my diagnostic report to remind myself that on paper yes I have weaknesses but the things I am good at I m incredibly good at and that my brain is making up for it in some ways so I believe that I m intelligent again.

Haha that's a great idea! I'll start doing it too :P

Thanks for the support :smile:
Original post by elekro
Haha that's a great idea! I'll start doing it too :P

Thanks for the support :smile:

Glad you think it's a great idea, no problem glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply