Konstantin B
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi
I'd like to study physics at oxford (starting 2008) but i have a few problems.

First of all: I'm german but i finished A-Levels in England.
Results: A2: AAA (Physics, Maths, Chemistry)
AS: A in French, E in History
Do you think i could get in?

I didn't do the UCAS application when everyone else was doing it because i thought i'll go to uni in germany. Now with my results here i'm thinking about Oxford.
Is there still enough time to apply for 2008 and how am i going to sit the test and go to the interview?

And since i didn't listen to what the teachers said about applying to uni i have no idea.
What do i have to do? Do i have to apply with UCAS?
I heard that i have to apply to 5 Unis when doing the UCAS application but i only want oxford.
And do i need some work experience, anything from my teachers (telling how good i am)...?

Please, please, please, please help
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if everyone else has already sent off UCAS applications I think you're too late, you could take a gap year and go for it next year though.
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you're not too late to apply for 2008/9 entry. The deadline i think is early october.
Yes, you fill in the ucas form online, as well as the oxford application form. Oxford must be one of your choices on your ucas form. You don't have to apply anywhere else if you don't want to, although you should definitely consider imperial college london for physics.
Talk to your school- you should be able to apply through them, which will make references a lot easier. Basically, they'll give a reference on their section on the ucas site.
sng
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You will have to do a maths and physics test in october which will determine whether you get an interview or not. The top half in the test will be invited for interview, the bottom half will be rejected
Konstantin B
Thanks for the answers.
But my problem is that i finished school and now i'm in germany (and the school is in England).

And aboutthe colleges:
How do i decide which one to take (if i have a choice) and
how much time do i have to think about the colleges and everything else (accomodation etc.)?
sng
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Konstantin B)
Thanks for the answers.
But my problem is that i finished school and now i'm in germany (and the school is in England).

And aboutthe colleges:
How do i decide which one to take (if i have a choice) and
how much time do i have to think about the colleges and everything else (accomodation etc.)?
It doesn't matter, they accept people who apply after a level. It says so on the faq section of the webiste, www.physics.ox.ac.uk.

College choice is just a matter of which one you like. About half the people get reallocated after the test anyway so that all colleges have about 2.5 applicants per place. You will have (assuming you are in the top 50% after the test) 2 interviews at your first choice, 1 at a RANDOMLY CHOSEN college (chosen by a computer, that is), and you will also be given a 3rd choice which you are not told about. They do not interview you but can still give you an offer. You can make an open offer and let the computer decide your 1st choice college too.

Accomodation is sorted out for you. I'm going in 3 weeks and I have not received any info regarding ammomodation, they say they are providing it and that is that. Being an international student you must make sure that your college offers 4 years of accomodation. Most do, but just check.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Be aware that as an international student, unless you have lived in the UK for 3 or more years you will have to pay the full cost of tuition fees (~£10K a year) and also college fees of around £5k per year.

Your grades are good, so i would think it worth applying if you would like to. the specific deadline is October 15th by which time you must have submitted both the UCAS form and the Oxford application form.
Konstantin B
Well, i was only for 2 years in England but i'm european citizen. I thought that means i don't have to pay that much
I mean 15k a year plus money for accomodaion, food etc is quite a lot.

Do i have to fly over to england for every test and interview?
JoMo1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The tests are either taken at your school or with the interviews and all the interviews happen at one time. So you'd have to fly over, stay at your chosen college for a weekend for interviews then fly back.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, i was only for 2 years in England but i'm european citizen. I thought that means i don't have to pay that much
In that case you'll only be charged at the home/EU rate.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I mean 15k a year plus money for accomodaion, food etc is quite a lot.

Do i have to fly over to england for every test and interview?
ahh yes, EU is exempt i think
Konstantin B
Oh wonderful, thanks for the answers.
Does anyone know where to get sample tests (and answers) from?
I don't really think i'm good enough to pass it without practice.
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just to clarify, you have to have lived in an EU country for the three years prior to starting your course, rather than merely have citizenship.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by thomasjtl)
Just to clarify, you have to have lived in an EU country for the three years prior to starting your course, rather than merely have citizenship.
Yes, that's right, but the OP has spent the past three years in Germany and the UK (unless I misunderstood his initial post), so he should be fine.
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh wonderful, thanks for the answers.
Does anyone know where to get sample tests (and answers) from?
I don't really think i'm good enough to pass it without practice.
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissio...sicssample.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads