The Student Room Group

dropping out from foundation degree

Hi fellow students.

I am currently doing my Foundation in Arts and design in London, but some big crap thing happened in my life I can't really focus on studies at this point, or focus at all.

So my question is what happens with my finance if I drop out. There was actually a delay in the application process so before Christmas holidays we had to do another new application which I just cancelled. So in reality it hasn't been approved yet. So I am wondering if I still would need to pay something back or I can just disappear after informing my college.

It's student finance England and application was for the advanced learners loan.

I hope someone can relate and know the answer or has some opinion :smile:
Original post by livaliva
Hi fellow students.

I am currently doing my Foundation in Arts and design in London, but some big crap thing happened in my life I can't really focus on studies at this point, or focus at all.

So my question is what happens with my finance if I drop out. There was actually a delay in the application process so before Christmas holidays we had to do another new application which I just cancelled. So in reality it hasn't been approved yet. So I am wondering if I still would need to pay something back or I can just disappear after informing my college.

It's student finance England and application was for the advanced learners loan.

I hope someone can relate and know the answer or has some opinion :smile:

If you are doing the course, then you will jave incurred a liability. Somehow that liability is going to be yours. If student finance process your loan then it will juts become standard student finance. If they dont process it then that becomes a debt owed by you and payable now rather than when you earn £21k. they will just pass it over to debt collectors.

You should leave your course properly. In the future you may be able to get them to write it off if you were forced to leave for medical or compelling personal reasons.

You will need to check with SFE. You are normally entitled to funding for the length of degree +1 gift year. that gift year has now been used.
That means that if you do another foundation year, then they will only fund the main degree after the first year i.e you will have to find the money yourself.
the alternative is to find a course with a combined foundation year.

Rather than just disappearing you are better off leaving the course formally.

Go and speak to your SU advisor, just in case I have missed soemthing from advanced learner loans (I may have).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you are doing the course, then you will jave incurred a liability. Somehow that liability is going to be yours. If student finance process your loan then it will juts become standard student finance. If they dont process it then that becomes a debt owed by you and payable now rather than when you earn £21k. they will just pass it over to debt collectors.

You should leave your course properly. In the future you may be able to get them to write it off if you were forced to leave for medical or compelling personal reasons.

You will need to check with SFE. You are normally entitled to funding for the length of degree +1 gift year. that gift year has now been used.
That means that if you do another foundation year, then they will only fund the main degree after the first year i.e you will have to find the money yourself.
the alternative is to find a course with a combined foundation year.

Rather than just disappearing you are better off leaving the course formally.

Go and speak to your SU advisor, just in case I have missed soemthing from advanced learner loans (I may have).

Hey, thanks for the information . I am not really up to just disappearing as they would hunt me down eventually. And I would go for a degree at some point again. I am just wondering if the application hasn't come through yet if there is a chance I wouldn't have to pay them back anything.
Original post by livaliva
Hey, thanks for the information . I am not really up to just disappearing as they would hunt me down eventually. And I would go for a degree at some point again. I am just wondering if the application hasn't come through yet if there is a chance I wouldn't have to pay them back anything.

The question is have you incurred a liability.
When did the course start? Back in October or is it yet to start i.e im Jan.

If its started then you need to check but normally you get to cnancel within 14 days of enrolment. the details will be on the site.

If its not started then you would have a right to cancel and that way you could escape any liability. the details are on the site.

It sounds like you have started and been attending lectures i.e getting soemthing that needs to be paid for. You can try a compelling reasons claim in the future or check with sfe because otherwise if you wnat to do a degree, but you still need a foundation, then they wont pay for your first year of the degree proper, so you would have to find the £9,000 fees yourself plus living. I repeat I havent looked up whether theres anything special about the advaned learner loan, so you need to check on that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending