psychologia
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Are they as bad as everyone says they are?

My plan was to become a lecturer or a clinical psychologist but the university i go to is not overly amazing, what are my chances?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by psychologia)

My plan was to become a lecturer or a clinical psychologist but the university i go to is not overly amazing, what are my chances?
If your motivated enough and sufficently smart then its quite possible. Depends how motivated you are... but i'd look into other careers too. Most of the professors i've worked with are the kinds of people that will still reply to your emails on a bank holiday or even during their own leave (i.e. they are incredibly motivated people). In terms of numbers, even if you get onto a phd course, only a minority of phd students will still be in academia 10/20 years later...
StaffsUniDrew
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by psychologia)

I've been worried about this too, I will admit, but similar to the reply above I would say that it is down to your own motivation and drive. While positions may be low for some psychology-based areas, I think we have 3 options really:

1) Hope that when you've finished your education there will be a job position in psychology that you want to do

2) Get into work as soon as you leave education, in an area that may not be psychology based, but will allow you to practice skills and theory you have learnt. Then later applying for jobs that you really want that have opened up

3) Go into the private sector and work with businesses that require your knowledge as a psychologist (although you would probably need to have a PhD, or MSc minimum, to get anywhere with this)

This is my thinking atm, and I hope I've helped you to think about what your plans are going to be now 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads