Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not the nicest of topics, but does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
    I struggle to cough it out, and have done since I was a child. It's like the technique didn't come naturally or something.
    Unless it comes right up to the back of my throat by itself, i find it extremely difficult to shift. When it comes out, it's not particularly sticky or thick, so it shouldn't really be difficult to get out..

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do some moderate exercise then get some one to pat you on the back firmly to cough it up works for me

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen titanic? I think Jack teaches her how to cough it up. It's kinda hard to explain, I would have to make the sound for you, maybe ask someone in real life....

ReputationRep:
    haha, i have seen titanic, but a long time ago.. I'll have to watch it again.
    My dad tried to explain, and made that noise, but I couldn't seem to do it myself.
    Excercise is a good idea, it must loosen it up.
    Oh well, I'll keep trying. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I hate it, but it has to be done sometimes.

Sometimes I dry reach trying to do it, it is sooo gross :s:

ReputationRep:
    I had trouble with it too, but I eventually learned how to do it. I used to gag when I tried doing it. It takes practice.

ReputationRep:
    I usually just cough really hard, works most of the time but doesn't get rid of it all.

ReputationRep:
    for some advice on how to treat it you could get a chesty cough bottle which deals with phlegm in the lungs and chest. alternatively there are some products which deal with breaking up the phlegm, to make your coughs more productive...try Covonia Cattarh formula, you can pick it up at a chemist!

ReputationRep:
    oh and if the phlegm has a wierd odour or an odd colour then it could be a chest infection so youd need to get some medicine from the doctor!!

ReputationRep:
    I had trouble with it today! *this is disgusting* there was the hugest lump of phlegm ive ever seen back there. euugh. i was glad to be rid of that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.