Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have an issue with DVD playback on my laptop whereby the sound is very quiet (where you cant hear what people are saying). I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 and this has been a problem for ages. It is strange because playing MP3s in iTunes is very loud to the point i never have it on full volume.

I have heard of this problem with copied DVDs, but mine are all genuine. I know enough about computers to set the volume to full in Control Panel etc. its just very quiet?

Can anyone offer advice as to increase the volume? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Either the volume on the DVD is low, which it could be if its a downloaded DVD.

More likely though is that your laptop soundcard just isn't very good and the max volume isn't very high. Invest in a dvd player? They're only cheap. Or I spose you could rip the dvd to your hard drive and convert the DVD to AVI, boost the volume with virtualdub then play it off the HD as an AVI :p:

I have heard of something called AC3Boost or something too which I think increases DVD volume, not sure. Anyway maybe try buying a soundcard for your laptop? External one or something? Or get a DVD player.

Sound is always bad on laptops;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toto8462)
    Can anyone offer advice as to increase the volume? Thanks.
    Are you trying to play the DVD with the surround sound tack? (I presume you are using 2.0/2.1). The 'vocal' track could easily be lost, resulting in low volume or hard-to-hear sound, with poor down mixing (5.1 to 2.0/1). Also, DTS and Dolby Digital audio tracks can have massive volume differences (making them really awkward to compare; but that's a different issue), so basically try changing the audio track of the DVD if you can.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.