Worst films of 2016? Watch

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
2016 has been a pretty great for movies, but as always there have been some real disasters as well! So, TSR, what was the worst movie you saw this year?

For me, it was London Has Fallen. Incomprehensible plot, hammy acting, god-awful dialogue, terrible CGI and horrendous action chroeography are terrible enough to witness, but when you can see them trying to disguise the rest of the film's crap with on-trend techniques like the one-take action scene that's all the rage, and it's even worse. Top it off with a smattering of borderline racism and the fact that it's just so damn boring, and you've got a pretty much irredeemable excuse for an action movie.
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tend to only watch the films that get good reviews unless I really wanted to see something or didn't know going into it, so I've definitely not seen the worst film of 2016, but out of the films I did see I didn't enjoy Central Intelligence, Suicide Squad, BvS or Sausage Party. Jason Bourne was a let down, I didn't get on the Zootopia hype or Sully. But none of these will be the worst of the year.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The turtles film! the worst one without a doubt and by far. Full of hope and with the expectation it could be a fairly film, but my friends and I was wrong.
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
The turtles film! the worst one without a doubt and by far. Full of hope and with the expectation it could be a fairly film, but my friends and I was wrong.
Pro tip: Anything released post-2000 with Michael Bay's name on it can be assumed to be terrible until proven otherwise.

(Original post by AndrewSCO)
I tend to only watch the films that get good reviews unless I really wanted to see something or didn't know going into it, so I've definitely not seen the worst film of 2016, but out of the films I did see I didn't enjoy Central Intelligence, Suicide Squad, BvS or Sausage Party. Jason Bourne was a let down, I didn't get on the Zootopia hype or Sully. But none of these will be the worst of the year.
The DC films win the award for biggest disappointments for me this year, and Suicide Squad is a valid pick for worst film of the year if people were lucky enough to avoid some of the real garbage. BvS was a colossal letdown, partly because the pre-release marketing gave away the entire plot and partly because the film wasn't very good despite some excellent performances and awesome visuals and music. I'm glad the Ultimate Cut was quickly released, because it does make substantial improvements and creates a moderately acceptable film. Suicide Squad is just plain bad, and an obvious attempt to shoehorn the success of Guardians of the Galaxy into a DC film. The only things missing were a coherent plot and characters we actually gived a damn about, so quite a lot really.
AndrewSCO
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Pro tip: Anything released post-2000 with Michael Bay's name on it can be assumed to be terrible until proven otherwise.

The DC films win the award for biggest disappointments for me this year, and Suicide Squad is a valid pick for worst film of the year if people were lucky enough to avoid some of the real garbage. BvS was a colossal letdown, partly because the pre-release marketing gave away the entire plot and partly because the film wasn't very good despite some excellent performances and awesome visuals and music. I'm glad the Ultimate Cut was quickly released, because it does make substantial improvements and creates a moderately acceptable film. Suicide Squad is just plain bad, and an obvious attempt to shoehorn the success of Guardians of the Galaxy into a DC film. The only things missing were a coherent plot and characters we actually gived a damn about, so quite a lot really.
Yup 2 most anticipated of the year and the 2 biggest disappointments
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
2016 has been a pretty great for movies, but as always there have been some real disasters as well! So, TSR, what was the worst movie you saw this year?

For me, it was London Has Fallen. Incomprehensible plot, hammy acting, god-awful dialogue, terrible CGI and horrendous action chroeography are terrible enough to witness, but when you can see them trying to disguise the rest of the film's crap with on-trend techniques like the one-take action scene that's all the rage, and it's even worse. Top it off with a smattering of borderline racism and the fact that it's just so damn boring, and you've got a pretty much irredeemable excuse for an action movie.
Birth of the Dragon.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Pro tip: Anything released post-2000 with Michael Bay's name on it can be assumed to be terrible until proven otherwise. (...)
Thank you for tip. Personally I think that your opinion about London has fallen was a bit too harsh. Sure there were some points where you are right. But this hammy acting as you said was one of the reason that I liked the film. It is a typical disaster film with American spirit and American touch, that is to say a lot of thrilling action scenes with lot of patters and the victory of the world police USA with a happy end. This pathetic patriotic Amercanism combined with bloated action is so funny to watch.
AndrewSCO
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
London Has Fallen is a what it says on the tin kinda film that just happened to not be as good as even it could have been. I actually really like Olympus Has Fallen, sequel wasn't as good but I wouldn't put it in worst category just because I was never expecting/hoping it would that great a film
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Thank you for tip. Personally I think that your opinion about London has fallen was a bit too harsh. Sure there were some points where you are right. But this hammy acting as you said was one of the reason that I liked the film. It is a typical disaster film with American spirit and American touch, that is to say a lot of thrilling action scenes with lot of patters and the victory of the world police USA with a happy end. This pathetic patriotic Amercanism combined with bloated action is so funny to watch.
I can fully appreciate a "so bad it's good" film, but for me that sort of movie has to have some sort of charm or endearing quality. This is just an overwhelmingly inept film with virtually nothing to elevate it above the status of wholly unamusing. I think what I said is a fairly accurate surmation, I honestly struggle to recall a single redeeming quality about it not only from a technical perspective, but simply that there was nothing I enjoyed about this film.
Mr Moon Man
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hollow point, BvS, suicide squad, ghostbusters, gods of Egypt and so many more. 2016 wasn't a great year for films.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr Moon Man)
Hollow point, BvS, suicide squad, ghostbusters, gods of Egypt and so many more. 2016 wasn't a great year for films.
Would say that you was just unlucky in the choice of yours. See it positive: you have not watched the turtles in contrast to me.
doggyher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Suicide Squad wasn't just a complete disappointment, it was for me one of the worst movies of this year. I feel like they were too nice to be considered bad guys. They were doing the standard cliche which was "I act like im a bad guy and I do bad things and I dont care but really im very nice" which just makes me cringe. Harley quinns lines and quotes were super cringy too. The Joker was good, shame we only saw like 5 mins of him.

Not only did characters like Deadshot seem so nice but the plot was a complete disaster.
retardis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Batman v. Superman or Suicide Squad, were hyped up too much and just didn't deliver.
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by doggyher)
. I feel like they were too nice to be considered bad guys.
Five minutes into the movie: "I've rounded up the worst of the worst"

Ten minutes into the movie: We've got two good guys, an innocent woman we blackmail into killing people, a slightly mental girl, a glorified bodybuilder with a skin condition, an alcoholic Aussie who throws things, and a bloke who climbs stuff. Then there's a kill-anyone assassin who actually won't kill anyone, and the one guy with actual superpowers who's actually reformed and pretty cool now.

And apparently they all bond as a family, to the point where half of them perform complete character U-turns, over the course of about twelve hours. I think beyond being one of the worst films of the year, it could be one of the worst ensemble-centric movies made in a long time.
doggyher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Five minutes into the movie: "I've rounded up the worst of the worst"

Ten minutes into the movie: We've got two good guys, an innocent woman we blackmail into killing people, a slightly mental girl, a glorified bodybuilder with a skin condition, an alcoholic Aussie who throws things, and a bloke who climbs stuff. Then there's a kill-anyone assassin who actually won't kill anyone, and the one guy with actual superpowers who's actually reformed and pretty cool now.

And apparently they all bond as a family, to the point where half of them perform complete character U-turns, over the course of about twelve hours. I think beyond being one of the worst films of the year, it could be one of the worst ensemble-centric movies made in a long time.
Exactly! The whole thing made me cringe. I honestly had high expectations. However I did hear somewhere that the writers had only 2 weeks to come up with this silly plot. Even the extended cut didn't do it much justice.

I hoped for great plot twist and an exploration of their characters but it turns out they turn good for what seems to be a plot designed to suit 12 year olds with overprotective mothers who only let their children watch movies with a moral ending. At least they didn't ruin the Joker, he's still a badass.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by retardis)
Batman v. Superman or Suicide Squad, were hyped up too much and just didn't deliver.
Agree. The beginning where the young Bruce Wayne came up by flying bats around him was so confusing, the film itself was so bad in story telling and had some illogical moments that I was sooo disappointed to watch it with friends.
username2834970
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Need I say more?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (78)
37.14%
I really love the subject (55)
26.19%
I don't know what else to do (26)
12.38%
I can't get a job (15)
7.14%
My parents want me to (5)
2.38%
I don't know... I just do (31)
14.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise