catherin.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm planning to take the A-levels: English Literature, Spanish and Biology.
My intention is to take English Literature at University (or possibly Law, but I think I am more heavily weighted to choosing to do Literature as opposed to Law.)
I suppose taking History instead of Biology would be more beneficial, but then I felt that it would be too humanities-based and there would be a lot of essay-based subjects all at one go?
I figured that taking Biology may make my A-levels a little more well-rounded and show that I have knowledge elsewhere (Especially if I choose to do Law.)
But I'm not sure whether History or Biology would be best. I could probably do better in History, but I'm not very keen or enthusiastic with it. If I took Biology, I think I would be a bit more interested but would probably not do as well.
Also, I was considering taking an EPQ - but was wondering, whether universities look at that qualification/value it, or whether it makes you stand out in your application?
username1675443
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do what you enjoy!

I got all 5 of my offers to study English Lit with Eng, Bio, Chem and Physics A-Levels. I simply said I wanted to write Sci-Fi so I found it's not really what you take, but how you explain your choices.

Personally, if I could go back, I would choose History 100% as it was what I actually enjoyed. I thought I loved science (and I did really well at GCSE) but the jump to A-Level is phenomenal and completing 2 years of something you hate is awful. So if you enjoy Biology more than History take it; it will also show that you are an all-round, capable student. My advice is take only what you enjoy - I didn't enjoy my A-Levels at all and almost dropped out as a result.

Even if you might do less well, I'd still say do what you like. I was really good at Bio but I hated it. As a result my grades dropped as I focussed on other subjects and avoided it if I could.

I also did an EPQ. It was not worth it as my uni choices did not care about it at all - only Southampton showed an interest by giving me a conditional lower offer. It was just added stress. I would advise strongly not to waste time on it.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by catherin.e)
My intention is to take English Literature at University (or possibly Law, but I think I am more heavily weighted to choosing to do Literature as opposed to Law.)
I suppose taking History instead of Biology would be more beneficial, but then I felt that it would be too humanities-based and there would be a lot of essay-based subjects all at one go?
I figured that taking Biology may make my A-levels a little more well-rounded and show that I have knowledge elsewhere (Especially if I choose to do Law.)
But I'm not sure whether History or Biology would be best. I could probably do better in History, but I'm not very keen or enthusiastic with it. If I took Biology, I think I would be a bit more interested but would probably not do as well.
Also, I was considering taking an EPQ - but was wondering, whether universities look at that qualification/value it, or whether it makes you stand out in your application?
Hiya,

I'm really sorry I can't offer much advice with subject choice but I have done an EPQ this year. It is generally beneficial because you can talk about it in your personal statement and interviews e.t.c as it shows a developing interest in a subject. At some universities, if you get an A or an A*, they will lower your offer by a grade. However, it is a lot of work (lots of things involved e.g. production log and presentation) and will take time away from your other subjects.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nothing wrong with too many humanities/essays I do 4 essay subjects.:P
whoisme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My school makes it compulsory to do an EPQ and I'm glad. It's extra work, yes, but it's useful to show your independent learning and an extra qualification can do you no harm especially when uni admissions are so competitive.
Take which subject you enjoy the most, and also think about what doors these subjects can open up for you (what can you do with Bio alone?)
History is more useful if you want to do Lit/Law. It's especially helpful if you want to get into a law degree.
Don't think about making it well rounded, think about what benefits you.
catherin.e
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hiya,

I'm really sorry I can't offer much advice with subject choice but I have done an EPQ this year. It is generally beneficial because you can talk about it in your personal statement and interviews e.t.c as it shows a developing interest in a subject. At some universities, if you get an A or an A*, they will lower your offer by a grade. However, it is a lot of work (lots of things involved e.g. production log and presentation) and will take time away from your other subjects.
Does the topic/subject you choose to do for your EPQ have to directly relate to your chosen course at Uni? I was thinking of taking an EPQ in Creative Writing or a science subject. Even though it's a lot of hard work I feel like it would help with my application maybe, because tbh, I don't have a lot of 'achievements' or things to talk about.
catherin.e
Rep:
?
(Original post by whoisme)
My school makes it compulsory to do an EPQ and I'm glad. It's extra work, yes, but it's useful to show your independent learning and an extra qualification can do you no harm especially when uni admissions are so competitive.
Take which subject you enjoy the most, and also think about what doors these subjects can open up for you (what can you do with Bio alone?)
History is more useful if you want to do Lit/Law. It's especially helpful if you want to get into a law degree.
Don't think about making it well rounded, think about what benefits you.
My main issue is that I'm not entirely sure of what course I want to do at Uni for definite. I keep debating whether it would be worth doing law for 3 years when I could do a subject I enjoy more (in this case, English) and take a Law conversion course. Or whether simply taking Law would be a lot easier/quicker. The topics within A-level History aren't the most interesting, but I think that I could succeed a lot better with History - since Biology is not one of my best subjects but I do enjoy it.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gwaggy)
Do what you enjoy!

I got all 5 of my offers to study English Lit with Eng, Bio, Chem and Physics A-Levels. I simply said I wanted to write Sci-Fi so I found it's not really what you take, but how you explain your choices.

Personally, if I could go back, I would choose History 100% as it was what I actually enjoyed. I thought I loved science (and I did really well at GCSE) but the jump to A-Level is phenomenal and completing 2 years of something you hate is awful. So if you enjoy Biology more than History take it; it will also show that you are an all-round, capable student. My advice is take only what you enjoy - I didn't enjoy my A-Levels at all and almost dropped out as a result.

Even if you might do less well, I'd still say do what you like. I was really good at Bio but I hated it. As a result my grades dropped as I focussed on other subjects and avoided it if I could.

I also did an EPQ. It was not worth it as my uni choices did not care about it at all - only Southampton showed an interest by giving me a conditional lower offer. It was just added stress. I would advise strongly not to waste time on it.
I agree
catherin.e
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Nothing wrong with too many humanities/essays I do 4 essay subjects.:P
Which subjects did you take, if you don't mind me asking?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does the topic/subject you choose to do for your EPQ have to directly relate to your chosen course at Uni? I was thinking of taking an EPQ in Creative Writing or a science subject. Even though it's a lot of hard work I feel like it would help with my application maybe, because tbh, I don't have a lot of 'achievements' or things to talk about.
Hiya,

It's something you have lots of freedom with as it can be about a hobby/interest or something to do with any of your subjects as long as the topic area is narrow enough to be able to do it well in the time
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which subjects did you take, if you don't mind me asking?
Geography history politics and english
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (353)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed