Turn on thread page Beta

"I'm not the taliban, I'm English" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today, the story of the 3 'English' (term loosely used) detainees at camp X-ray in Cuba has been re-ignited. How it makes one sick.

No, it is not the harsh conditions by which these 'humans' are subjected to, but the fact that they are saying "I'm British" when they are anything but.
    If you are British, why would you be in Afghanistan? (and not in the British army)
    What an undesirable place for a holiday, especially when British and American troops are using brute force to smash the Taliban.
    The only reason left is that these prisoners were assisting the Taliban (these prisoners are crucially of eastern origin, none are white whic furthers my belief that they were fighting against our countrymen).

Surely at that time, they classed themselves as Afghan, or of a non-British nationality, speaking their native tongue also (speaking English would have been lunacy anyway, no one would understand)

I am disgusted that they can 'switch allegiance' as soon as it favours them, or saves them from the guillotine, because these men may have murdered Britons (however little evidence in the time of war, but possible).

Yes, there are other people in this 'torture camp', but the fact that these three bandits have just borrowed nationality in the interim is quite unfair on the other prisoners, who are just as guilty (or less, if you like).

One must understand that by releasing these people back on to the streets, it is risking the lives of British citizens (all races included). This is true if we are to believe the reasons why they were incarcerated - POWs.

British? Salute the flag and get hung of traitorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gayboy09)
    If you are British, why would you be in Afghanistan?
    To see your family?

ReputationRep:
    You don't get arrested for seeing your family, otherwise the entire Afghan people will be in prison (except the blind).

ReputationRep:
    My mate was arrested in Iraq for six weeks for allegedly trying to help al-Qaeda, when he was in fact just there to see the situation from a first-person viewpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    My mate was arrested in Iraq for six weeks for allegedly trying to help al-Qaeda, when he was in fact just there to see the situation from a first-person viewpoint.
    Ignorance has a major role to play where such issues are concerned..Maybe a trip to afghanistan has a sentimental value for someone rather than any other attractions...maybe you go there to aid some charity or project..who's to know! :rolleyes:
    Jools is right..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Ignorance has a major role to play where such issues are concerned..
    Jools is right..
    It does have a major role to play, just look at what you believe.
    It is credulous to suggest all three members were visiting their families (the three are unrelated and probably only first met when in the camp), again, it is hard to get arrested for staying indoors otherwise all the men of Afghanistan would have been imprisoned.

How blatantly ignorant you are.

ReputationRep:
    .[/QUOTE]British? Salute the flag and get hung of traitorism.[/QUOTE]

What exactly does it mean to be 'british' then! Britain is a hotbed for multiculturalism so what exactly is being a true Britain tell me !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    British? Salute the flag and get hung of traitorism.[/QUOTE]

What exactly does it mean to be 'british' then! Britain is a hotbed for multiculturalism so what exactly is being a true Britain tell me ![/QUOTE]

I took this in to consideration (which is why I said all races in my original thread), because, judging by your name, you are as just as much British as I am.

However, if the detainees fought against the side of the British, it virtually means you are fighting against yourself, as they classed themselves as British.

That by no means is British, because there is no alignment with them.

War against your own nation under orders of an opposing faction? Not British.

Yes, one of these "British" detainees now back here was born in Nigeria, worked in London for a few years, then went to Afghanistan, and then back to Nigeria where later he was arrested.

HOW THE HELL IS HE BRITISH?????

ReputationRep:
    They are British, they lived in Britain, they hold british passports. If they are guilty (if there is even evidence of this) then they should be tried here in Britain. It is not acceptable for the americans to treat citizens of a country that they apparently have a "special relationship" with like this. They should atleast trust as to look after prisoners that come from this country.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand, you are all ignorant *****! Our fellow countrymen of islamic faith will explain everything to you when you see them after their Friday prayer at the Finsbury Mosque with the most merciful and tolerant Mr Abu Hamza, who never misses a chance to embrace our cultural diversity and include as many women and gay people in his congregation as he can. :rolleyes:

You don't understand, those poor three men went to Afghanistan for different purposes. One went to visit his parents, and evil white Christians will of course say-why do his parents live in Afghanistan if he's African-born. Of course not many people know that Afghanistan is the ultimate holiday destination. It offers a wonderful selection of fine hotels, wonderful infrastructure, a lot of culture (theatres, museums and cinemas are on every corner), free poppyseed and heroin, and a lot of entertainment for women (as long as you wear a black burka and don't speak. (Also don't forget to bow to men you don't know). This made the first guy's parents retire in a picturesque green village in rural Afghanistan, where only the roosters and the sound of missiles can wake you up in the mornings.

The other two guys said to you clearly-they've been to Afghanistan to do computer courses. People are so islamophobic and racist, they want poor muslim boys to go to *****y Oxford to do computer courses. Afghanistan is the capital of education in the world. It IS the place to go.

Do you still not understand?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any friend who were Muslim because if you did you may not have such misconceptions about them. There was a boy in my year who goes to that Mosque and he is a nice guy, very friendly and he doesn't hate Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gayboy09)
    However, if the detainees fought against the side of the British, it virtually means you are fighting against yourself, as they classed themselves as British.
    Just because your British, doesnt mean you have to uncompromisingly support the actions of your troops. I'd rather not be regarded as British if the character and loyalties of my nation of millions is going to be decided by the very few people who decided to take us into war.

Anyway, does it really matter what nationality they said they were?? Whatever nationaility they say they were (bear in mind nationality is a very contentious, subjective concept to which no-one can provide an unequivacal test for), they, as human beings, have the right to be treated as any other person regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    They are British, they lived in Britain, they hold british passports. If they are guilty (if there is even evidence of this) then they should be tried here in Britain. It is not acceptable for the americans to treat citizens of a country that they apparently have a "special relationship" with like this. They should atleast trust as to look after prisoners that come from this country.
    I agree. What a pity we don't have a nationalist as our Prime Minister. However, according to US law anyone who kills a US citizen outside their country can be tried for capital crime in their own country. If we did that with with one of their citizens they won't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any friend who were Muslim because if you did you may not have such misconceptions about them. There was a boy in my year who goes to that Mosque and he is a nice guy, very friendly and he doesn't hate Britain.
    I am not tarring all Muslims with the same brush, but the problem we have in this country is that many muslims are very reluctant to integrate and many are reluctant to learn English. This is very different from people who come from other parts of the world-Eastern Europeans, Jamaicans, Hindus all become a part of this country very quickly. Many Muslims don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason0506)
    You don't understand, you are all ignorant *****! Our fellow countrymen of islamic faith will explain everything to you when you see them after their Friday prayer at the Finsbury Mosque with the most merciful and tolerant Mr Abu Hamza, who never misses a chance to embrace our cultural diversity and include as many women and gay people in his congregation as he can.
    Because of course Abu Hamza represents the views and desires of every British muslim. Much like Adolf Hitler represents the views of every German, George Bush represents the views of every Christian, and Germaine Greer represents the views of every woman.

You have no idea how tedious it is having to make this tired old point to people like you over and over and over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Because of course Abu Hamza represents the views and desires of every British muslim. Much like Adolf Hitler represents the views of every German, George Bush represents the views of every Christian, and Germaine Greer represents the views of every woman.

You have no idea how tedious it is having to make this tired old point to people like you over and over and over and over again.
    Of course he doesn't. I can't think of anyone who would have thought he did.
    Other foreign imams preach tolerance and peace in every mosque on this island, and all of them wholeheartedly reject this vile one-eyed creature.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he doesn't. I can't think of anyone who would have thought he did.
    Our fellow countrymen of islamic faith will explain everything to you when you see them after their Friday prayer at the Finsbury Mosque with the most merciful and tolerant Mr Abu Hamza, who never misses a chance to embrace our cultural diversity and include as many women and gay people in his congregation as he can.
    You by the looks of that quote. You make an uneasy connection between the views spouted by Abu Hamza outside Finsbury mosque with those held by "our fellow countryment of islamic faith" - clearly implying that British muslims all think like that.

If you didnt mean that, try phrasing your posts a bit better!

ReputationRep:
    I am not tarring all Muslims with the same brush, but the problem we have in this country is that many muslims are very reluctant to integrate and many are reluctant to learn English. This is very different from people who come from other parts of the world-Eastern Europeans, Jamaicans, Hindus all become a part of this country very quickly. Many Muslims don't.
    I think it is probably more the ,minority who don't intergrate, I live in an area which has a fairly large muslim population and they on the whole seem intergrated.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is probably more the ,minority who don't intergrate, I live in an area which has a fairly large muslim population and they on the whole seem intergrated.
    I know many people that speek english better than some british people and integrate as much as they can but they are rejected by the society.It's no longer their fault when that happens..
    abuhamza doesn't represent all british muslims..in fact some people regard him as a terrorist,this is a view i've observed amongst many people.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.