Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"I'm not the taliban, I'm English" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im muslim and i regard abu hamza as a terrorist ... sadly many ppl on this forum are very anti-islamic .... cant change that now no matter now multi-cultured a nation can get ....

best place to live is srilanka ... 5 great religions ... no problems between em ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gayboy09)
    Today, the story of the 3 'English' (term loosely used) detainees at camp X-ray in Cuba has been re-ignited. How it makes one sick.
    You are loosely switching from the terms English, and British. Shall I explain it for you? To be "English", means to be born to "English" (typically, white anglo-saxon) heritage parents. To be "British", means to have British nationality, and to share the rights as any other UK national.[/QUOTE]

No, it is not the harsh conditions by which these 'humans' are subjected to, but the fact that they are saying "I'm British" when they are anything but.If you are British, why would you be in Afghanistan? (and not in the British army)
    Firstly, its clear you have a very ignorant and un-informed persepective. Just because you are British, does not automatically mean that the only reason to go overseas is to fight for the British army. Secondly, there are a million and one things a person could be going to Afghanistan. They could be visiting family, visiting their country of desent, they could simply be going to visit the country, as a form of holiday, or they could be going as part of a charity or aid organisation to help rebuild Afghanistan from the damage, and destruction which the "British" army have caused.

What an undesirable place for a holiday, especially when British and American troops are using brute force to smash the Taliban.
    Whats the holiday destination got to do with you? As I have said above, there could be many many different reasons for going to Afghanistan. According to your logic, surely, you should be questioning why thousands of "British" students take gap years every year, and go and visit war torn and LEDC's? There must be an alterior motive right? :rolleyes:

The only reason left is that these prisoners were assisting the Taliban (these prisoners are crucially of eastern origin, none are white whic furthers my belief that they were fighting against our countrymen).
    Thats a good conclusion from someone who appears to know very little, is that what you "national" newspaper "The Sun" told you today?

Surely at that time, they classed themselves as Afghan, or of a non-British nationality, speaking their native tongue also (speaking English would have been lunacy anyway, no one would understand)
    How do you know what they classed themselves as? How do you know that people cannot speak English. I have been to a few Asian countries on my tavels, and every time, I have come accross many hundreds of people all of whom can speak a very high standard of English, and all of whom, speak very highly of the West, and they are not all terrorists or "enemies".

I am disgusted that they can 'switch allegiance' as soon as it favours them, or saves them from the guillotine, because these men may have murdered Britons (however little evidence in the time of war, but possible).
    Proof? Where is your proof? How do you know they "switch allegiance"?????????

Yes, there are other people in this 'torture camp', but the fact that these three bandits have just borrowed nationality in the interim is quite unfair on the other prisoners, who are just as guilty (or less, if you like).
    Where is your proof for any of this???? This is all just suggestion and assumptions. Surely if all these people are "guilty" or "just as guilty", the US/UK governments would have convicted the thousands of people who are being tourtured and humiliated, without any legal rights, and treated in inhumane conditions?

One must understand that by releasing these people back on to the streets, it is risking the lives of British citizens (all races included). This is true if we are to believe the reasons why they were incarcerated - POWs.
    This is a load of rubbish. Its the typical rubbish pumped out by the tabloid trash newspapers. Its only designed to create mas hate and hysteria.

British? Salute the flag and get hung of traitorism.
    And what if people of non-white, anglo-saxon heritage don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Just because your British, doesnt mean you have to uncompromisingly support the actions of your troops.

It should mean that. It is not the Armed forces fault that they were ORDERED to go to Iraq and Afganistahn. The people to blame for that is the current dictatorship of Tony Blair. I will always support the armed forces, but not always (if ever) the government. :mad:

(Original post by SciFi25)
    It should mean that. It is not the Armed forces fault that they were ORDERED to go to Iraq and Afganistahn. The people to blame for that is the current dictatorship of Tony Blair. I will always support the armed forces, but not always (if ever) the government. :mad:
    It's not exactly a dictatorship, I think you're being a tad melodramatic.

Not to say that TB isn't an arse, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    It's not exactly a dictatorship, I think you're being a tad melodramatic.

Not to say that TB isn't an arse, though.
    Grrr. I just hate him so much. I wanna knock his perfect teeth down the back of his throat. Lets see him smile then!! lol!

Grrr. I just hate him so much. I wanna knock his perfect teeth down the back of his throat. Lets see him smile then!! lol!
    I'd rather make Charles Kennedy Prime minister, then see the look on Blair’s face

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather make Charles Kennedy Prime minister, then see the look on Blair’s face
    I would usually say better the devil you know, but in this case I think its better the devil you don't. Not Charles Kennedy though please? I cant think of anything worse than the country being run by a wishy washy liberal. What we need is some hard line neo conservatism!! Bring back IDS!!

I would usually say better the devil you know, but in this case I think its better the devil you don't. Not Charles Kennedy though please? I cant think of anything worse than the country being run by a wishy washy liberal. What we need is some hard line neo conservatism!! Bring back IDS!!
    IDS? Talk about washy washy! If it has to be a Conservative then make it Howard!!

ReputationRep:
    IDS? Talk about washy washy! If it has to be a Conservative then make it Howard!!
    Lol! Howard? Nah, I think I will just incorrectly mark my ballot paper. None of them is even worth a bullet in the head!

Lol! Howard? Nah, I think I will just incorrectly mark my ballot paper. None of them is even worth a bullet in the head!
    I think it would be really funny to mark "Winnie the Pooh" in crayon on a ballot, if there were no candidates I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be really funny to mark "Winnie the Pooh" in crayon on a ballot, if there were no candidates I wanted.
    lol! Good idea, may just do that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    best place to live is srilanka ... 5 great religions ... no problems between em ...
    Yeah, such as those peaceful Tamil Tigers. And the highest suicide rate on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    Guyz now I can say enough is enough,I dont care how many anti muslims are there in the world,but i'm sick of the times that we have to post replys to defend our selves,for god's sake,I still cant understand what is it that we have done to have you all against us,ok so what we are not christians yes we have a different religon that we love and we totaly believe in,in what way would it affect you if a girl wore a haed scarf or not,or prayed onhundered million times aday or not at all,in the end you only have the person who is talking to you to judge not the habits not the traditions not religon,I've seen most of the people attacking islam but no other religon,we have extreamists and we have others also,we have like more than 21 million or more world wide you can't judge them all according to 1000 people not even to 20 million of them,after all we dont ride camels (except when we go to parks or something like that and you have to pay money to do so,like riding a motor bike for a while or something)we have malls we go to cafe'es and hang out and and we brush our hair as a matter of fact and we use shampoo What a joy!!!
    And when I read comments of some people here the word racist pops in to my mind,gee I wonder why??!
    my point is stop these attacks,hate arabs,muslims,Indians...etc as much as you want but dont come here to share your hateness with the whole world.
    we have feelings
    as nil as the net matters to me,sometimes it HURTS!

ReputationRep:
    habosh, calm down boy, you will give yourself a heart attack or an aneurysm! I would like it stated for the record that I did not post anything offensive to anyone, all I said was I support Britains Armed Forces.

ReputationRep:
    you cant really blame muslim citizens for supporting people from countries where their families originated, or any other people who do not have llong history of roots here. Who is gonna stand n watch their family suffer, irrespective of right or wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    I've seen most of the people attacking islam but no other religon,we have extreamists and we have others also,we have like more than 21 million or more world wide you can't judge them all according to 1000 people not even to 20 million of them
    I think the problem Islam is suffering in the UK right now is the media perception - the extremists are over-represented to the level that the ordinary white citizen may hear the word "Muslim" or "Islam" and immediately associate it with jihad, fatwah, 9/11, terrorism, Abu Hamza, etc. There's little coverage given to the "good" Muslim people - the well-respected celebrities (Sting? Mohammed Al-Fayed?) have the potential to promote Islam in a good light.

Whereas for Christianity, the evangelical loons who go around telling gays and non-Christians that they're going to hell are dwarfed by the number of decent, tolerant Christians there are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I think the problem Islam is suffering in the UK right now is the media perception - the extremists are over-represented to the level that the ordinary white citizen may hear the word "Muslim" or "Islam" and immediately associate it with jihad, fatwah, 9/11, terrorism, Abu Hamza, etc. There's little coverage given to the "good" Muslim people - the well-respected celebrities (Sting? Mohammed Al-Fayed?) have the potential to promote Islam in a good light.

Whereas for Christianity, the evangelical loons who go around telling gays and non-Christians that they're going to hell are dwarfed by the number of decent, tolerant Christians there are.
    Also suffer from a bad image brought on by all the bradford badboys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Also suffer from a bad image brought on by all the bradford badboys.
    I feel that gives British Asians as a whole a bad name rather than just Muslims.

(Original post by Jools)
    I feel that gives British Asians as a whole a bad name rather than just Muslims.
    Not really - no-one has a problem with Hindus (they're a harmless, silly people - only a child-like people could have Bollywood).

Its the Muslims we need to deal with. As I said, there should be a tax on Mosques or Muslims themselves to pay for this bloody war on Islamic terror, since it comes from their ranks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Hm, really? I don't think it affects the view of Hindus, or well people with Indian heritage. Or people from Bangladesh. I think most people regard these asians as more gentle, less aggressive. As for Sikhs, they end up with an image of being aggressive, but it's not associated with Bradford Muslims aggression.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.