Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I want some RAM. But which site is cheapest? I'd prefer something quicker/more reliable than ebay.

This RAM is really just so I can play games, but would 1G of normal RAM be as good as 1G 'gaming' RAM? Or is Gaming RAM 2x as good as normal? Not sure.

Anyway what's a cheap site and some recommended brands?

The type of RAM I need is:

PC3200 400MHz (CL3 - dunno if that's relevant)

ReputationRep:
    'Gaming RAM' will either be more suited to overclocking, or have novelty LED's on the top. For your uses, theres no benefit.

Unluckily for you, PC3200 is now going up in price since its not manufactured (much) anymore. I've got 4x 1GB GeIL Value Sticks in here.

Ebuyer will probably be the cheapest, but since you wont have a busisness account, www.overclockers.co.uk offer better support if you need to return anything or have a query.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'd seen the ebuyer site mentioned here before. I couldn't remember it and thought it was www.newegg.com which sounds nothing like it lol.

I'm thinking of buying a gig will that suffice? Not playing many current games either.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you have at the moment, and what games to be honest.

Batthefield 2 for example almost halves its load times if you give it 2GB instead of 1GB, but others won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. I got a gig. Its just for playing FFXI really

I wanted to get two of these at first - are they any good?

http://microdirect.co.uk/(11645)OCZ-...Hz-Memory.aspx

They look great! Unfortunately my bank had a seizure and I can't shop from there (they ask me for my password which I don't know since they never gave me online details...)

So I bought two Corsair 512MB from Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    'Gaming RAM' will either be more suited to overclocking, or have novelty LED's on the top. For your uses, theres no benefit.

Unluckily for you, PC3200 is now going up in price since its not manufactured (much) anymore. I've got 4x 1GB GeIL Value Sticks in here.

Ebuyer will probably be the cheapest, but since you wont have a busisness account, www.overclockers.co.uk offer better support if you need to return anything or have a query.
    I'm confused by this as overclockers have an absolutely terrible customer service reputation. Ebuyer's used to be bad but they seem to have sorted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixMinuteMile)
    I'm confused by this as overclockers have an absolutely terrible customer service reputation.
    For sales / order enquieires you're straight through to someone on the phone, who have allways been helpful when i've called. I've never known there to be a problem with RMA'ing to them, and thier dispatch times are excellent.

Ebuyer on the other hand, don't expect them to be much use unless you have a business account.

ReputationRep:
    You dont use Ebuyer do you? they are perfect i have never had a problem with them and i have purchased a lot from them. I dont care about delivery speed as i hate paying for it and within 5 days is fine for me.

Phone up ebuyer and you wont be on hold for long they answer very quicky, the only problem with their customer support is the woman sounds boring!

Returns at ebuyer is also great i really appreciate their leniency, they never quibble my returns even the ones which have very minor faults.

ReputationRep:
    advancetec.co.uk - just ordered my pc parts from there, v good prices

as for "normal vs gaming" - stick with relatively cheap but "branded" ones (generic fail very easily etc)

It dosent need to be "high speed" unless you're going to overclock. 533mhz / 667 should be more than fine.

If youre going to OClock then go for 800mhz - the OCZ reaper series are good for this.

James

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.