Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of getting a new soundcard (to plug my guitar into)

A lot of them say that they will sound better than the standard soundcards in most Motherboards for MP3.

Question is - is this true? I have some fairly good speakers and the soundcard I am using is liek a 7.1 that was inbuilt in the mobo but seems fine for my use.

What do you reckon?

Do they offer THAT much of an improvement?

ReputationRep:
    You should get a bit of an improvement, the ADC convertors on the line/mic will be of better quality. Your CPU usage will drop a bit too if youre that bothered.

One of my housemates uses a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer as a preamp:

The XLR is handy too if you ever want to lay down some vocals or use a rackmount effects unit.

ReputationRep:
    I was using the onboard sound with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec), but when it broke I bought Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio Sound. To be honest I haven't really noticed that much difference. I am running them through Bose Companion II speakers which are really good at non-loud volumes, so perhaps MP3's are only enhanced with played at high volumes (which is often when they start to sound crap)?

I am pretty sure there is a noticeable difference - but only when you look for it. Had someone changed my onboard to the Creative card, I wouldn't have been any the wiser though. Having said that, the Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio Sound is by no means top end, so maybe that plays a bigger role on 'improved' sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spin2)
    Having said that, the Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio Sound is by no means top end, so maybe that plays a bigger role on 'improved' sound?
    Yeah, the Extreme Audio isn't a true X-Fi chip, so you'll miss out on the features the higher models have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Yeah, the Extreme Audio isn't a true X-Fi chip, so you'll miss out on the features the higher models have.
    Thanks, that doesn't surprise me.

I was really annoyed when my onboard died. I was always planning on getting a sound card anyway, but when it died, I couldn't afford getting a high end one at that time. So I'm probably going to get a good one in the future and be left with the Extreme Audio one! Typical !

ReputationRep:
    By the fairly decent speakers, I assume that you're still using that nice set of Creative Gigaworks T20 2.0 set that I recommended you get a few months back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    By the fairly decent speakers, I assume that you're still using that nice set of Creative Gigaworks T20 2.0 set that I recommended you get a few months back?
    Yup, they were certainly better than the ones I had

Piemaster - how much is that thing in ur pic above?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look into a Line 6 GuitarPort too.

http://www.line6.com/guitarport/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Piemaster - how much is that thing in ur pic above?
    About £30, nice piece of kit. I have the 16 channel bigger brother of it too, but that was £160:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    About £30, nice piece of kit. I have the 16 channel bigger brother of it too, but that was £160:p:
    what exactly does it do? is it an alternative to getting a better soundcard so i can plug my guitar in directly?

ReputationRep:
    Its a mini-mixer, which you can use to give pre-amp to your soundcard, as well as input from multiple sources.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.