T171 any thoughts. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark Tucker
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I am thinking about doing T171 next year and would like to hear any thought on the course from
anyone who has already done it.

[email protected]
Dave Crosby
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> I am thinking about doing T171 next year and would like to hear any[/q1]
thought
[q1]> on the course from anyone who has already done it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Hi, currently doing T171. Thoughts. It is as described, an introduction to the OU. Lot's of how to
exercises, Note taking, Report Writing, Group Working, etc. Course content. Very interesting, am
approaching the end of module one: The Story of the PC. A history lesson, but with the advantage of
the main characters still being alive. This module starts with lots of introduction to PC technology
and terms so the beginner won't get lost. TMAs', just one completed, a low weighted intro TMA
designed to get you into the swing of it, with feedback that'll make you shine in future TMAs'.
Overall, not technical enough for me yet. A bit 'arty-farty' maybe, if that's the word, leans a bit
too much into the 'what are your opinions of', 'how do you feel that...', kind of thing. But that's
not a complaint, it's just one part of the course. I have good expectations of the remaining
modules, I guess I'm still being taught 'learning', 'expressing myself', 'academic writing', etc.
The 'totally online' side of things is ok, lots of message boards for discussion, tech help, etc.
Yes, I like it. Liked the sound of it in the prospectus, still enjoying it after two months.
--
Dave Crosby http://www.churners.org.uk Info for UK utilities consumers
Al Howat
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:14:40 +0100, Mark Tucker wrote:

[q1]> I am thinking about doing T171 next year and would like to hear any thought on the course from[/q1]
[q1]> anyone who has already done it.[/q1]

I took T171 last year and enjoyed it. It wasn't particularly taxing (for me anyway) as a lot of it
was 'learning to learn' skills. You don't learn a great deal of new technology - most of it is about
this history and background of computing and the Internet, but it was fun all the same and a good
introduction to working in the OU.

Al
Beallian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Dave Crosby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > I am thinking about doing T171 next year and would like to hear any[/q2]
[q1]> thought[/q1]
[q2]> > on the course from anyone who has already done it.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> Hi, currently doing T171.[/q1]

ditto

[q1]> Thoughts. It is as described, an introduction to the OU. Lot's of how to exercises, Note taking,[/q1]
[q1]> Report Writing, Group Working, etc. Course content. Very interesting, am approaching the end of[/q1]
[q1]> module one:[/q1]
The
[q1]> Story of the PC. A history lesson, but with the advantage of the main characters still being[/q1]
[q1]> alive. This module starts with lots of introduction to PC technology and terms so the beginner[/q1]
[q1]> won't get lost. TMAs', just one completed, a low weighted intro TMA designed to get you[/q1]
into
[q1]> the swing of it, with feedback that'll make you shine in future TMAs'.[/q1]

yep agree with all that. I also just did the first TMA, have got the results back & reasonably
happy with it. I felt one of the questins was a little decieving in what it was asking for, but I
guess thats designed to get you used to reading the question, something which will be needed in
later study.

[q1]> Overall, not technical enough for me yet. A bit 'arty-farty' maybe, if that's the word, leans a[/q1]
[q1]> bit too much into the 'what are your opinions[/q1]
of',
[q1]> 'how do you feel that...', kind of thing.[/q1]

Again agreed. While I'm enjoying the course I do find myself wishing I'd gone for something more
"techie" one of the level one Maths courses for example might have been more useful for what I want
to go on to study later, infact I may well end up doing one of these courses in preparation for some
of the higher level courses I'm hoping to do.

[q1]> But that's not a complaint, it's just one part of the course. I have good expectations of the[/q1]
[q1]> remaining modules, I guess I'm still being taught 'learning', 'expressing myself', 'academic[/q1]
[q1]> writing', etc.[/q1]

yes, the rest of the course looks good, and the skills taught will undoubtedly help me in
future studies.

[q1]> The 'totally online' side of things is ok, lots of message boards for discussion, tech help, etc.[/q1]

Friendly, helpful atmosphere, lots of people with experience & expertise willing to help out those
who need help (both with the course and general computer problems). The ability to meet up with
fellow students in online chat is great too.

[q1]> Yes, I like it. Liked the sound of it in the prospectus, still enjoying it after two months.[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Dave Crosby http://www.churners.org.uk Info for UK utilities consumers[/q1]
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%