Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what is it like studying the politics of Asia & Africa after the UK based politics covered at A level?

is it hard to adjust? would you have to have a really strong interest in asia and/or africa to enjoy the degree and do well?

for a personal statement, would it be wise to mention interest in africa/asia as well as politics in general?

are there any books you would recommend I read that might give me an idea of what to expect from the course? thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to have a fair interest in some of the regions at least. It wouldn't hurt mentioning them in your PS, though my PS was fairly general since I applied in various places.

The first year is very general and broad, its only in the second year where you get your specific region picks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky88)
    is it hard to adjust? would you have to have a really strong interest in asia and/or africa to enjoy the degree and do well?

for a personal statement, would it be wise to mention interest in africa/asia as well as politics in general?

are there any books you would recommend I read that might give me an idea of what to expect from the course? thank you in advance.
    i think you'd probably have to have an interest in asia/africa to enjoy it.

my personal statement had nothing to do with asia or africa but with some humanitarian work (could be in africa or asia haha)

the site says try reading:
    * Politics, A. Heywood
    * Theory and Methods in Political Science G. Poggi
    * Man and Society J. Plamenatz
    * Third World Politics: A Comparative Introduction P. Cammock et al
    * Modern Political Thought R. Plant

http://www.soas.ac.uk/studying/cours...urseinfoid=139

ReputationRep:
    thanks both of you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.