Acne/Ugly - debilitating. Doctors/Counselling, or not? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I have had bad acne & redness for pretty much all my teen years - I "normalised" it. At university, I cannot leave w/o concealing it w/ makeup; this is just to make me look average/blend in. I will not leave my room w/o makeup and, although I have not done so yet, will skip lectures/seminars if I am unable to cover up.

I have recently tried a skin care routine but (obviously, it may be early days) but I have not observed any effective results. I would like to go to the doctors but I'm wary of the medicine/treatment, specifically their effects. Can anyone advise me on whether it'd be wise to go to the doctors/see if I can be referred to a dermatologist to help?

I do feel ugly a lot of the time (even w/o my acne because of my disproportionate features) and I know I may (or may not) be exaggerating things in my head - but changing my perception about myself will take time. I am considering counselling but I am worried about confidentially; will university counselling go on record/be disclosed to employers?

Thank you, especially if you read it all!
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go to the doctors and they'll probably give you some benzoyl peroxide or equivalent and maybe antibiotics if its really bad and if neither works they'd refer you to a dermatologist, but tbh there's no magic cream that'll make it go away. It might make it slightly better at best. You're best bet is to simply deal with it. Make-up is known to make acne worse (blocks up pores etc.) and also some people say sunlight on acne helps (vitamin D). Just try your best. I guess you can counselling if you think you really need it and yes it is completely confidential. No one will know apart from the counsellor and the person who refers you. They don't keep a record or anything like that.
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go to your GP and push for an appointment with dermatology.
Convey how much of an effect it is having on your self-esteem etc (important - go with a parent if you're too shy)

They'll put you on something initially but really you want to be on Roaccutane (technically called Isototrenin - something like that). So you could mention about roaccutane and they'll probably go 'we'll try you on this first'. However if that doesn't work they'll put you on Roaccutane.

However Roaccutane will work. It actually shrinks your overproductive serbrum glands. Creams do not.

It has harsh sides but nothing you can't manage.

That's my advice
(Had 'moderate to severe' acne - according to Doctors notes that i saw - and after 6 months - 2 courses - it had improved massively.
Did actually come back on my neck but never returned to my face and that saved my life basically. Don't think i'd be the same person without it. Was 16 and was vastly improved spot wise by 17)

Good luck
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So, I have had bad acne & redness for pretty much all my teen years - I "normalised" it. At university, I cannot leave w/o concealing it w/ makeup; this is just to make me look average/blend in. I will not leave my room w/o makeup and, although I have not done so yet, will skip lectures/seminars if I am unable to cover up.

I have recently tried a skin care routine but (obviously, it may be early days) but I have not observed any effective results. I would like to go to the doctors but I'm wary of the medicine/treatment, specifically their effects. Can anyone advise me on whether it'd be wise to go to the doctors/see if I can be referred to a dermatologist to help?

I do feel ugly a lot of the time (even w/o my acne because of my disproportionate features) and I know I may (or may not) be exaggerating things in my head - but changing my perception about myself will take time. I am considering counselling but I am worried about confidentially; will university counselling go on record/be disclosed to employers?

Thank you, especially if you read it all!
Worth seeing a doctor. There are some treatments they can give you like simple lotions etc that usually help acne. You probably won't need a referral to a dermatologist tbh, but if the treatments they give you don't help you can ask to see one.
The treatments they give you are just like stronger versions of other skin treatments like freederm or nivea and most will only cause skin irritation at worst since they are topical and in that case you just stop using it and try another one. It's only treatments for severe acne which become non-topical and have more risk of side effects and that would be after multiple attempts with other stuff.
If side effects are something you are worried about tell your doctor and they can reassure you about whatever treatment they are suggesting.

You may also like to consider counselling or therapy if you feel you have issues with self esteem. You can ask your doctor for advice on that as well as your university student support. You can ask them for specifics if you are concerned about confidentiality- but I don't believe anybody would find out about uni counselling unless you told them yourself. And even if a potential employer were to find out they would not be able to make decisions based on it as it would be discrimination and you could sue (and frankly I doubt they would care- counselling is common).
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently in psychotherapy. There is no way whatsoever that a future employer can find out about your mental health, counselling etc, unless you tell them directly. Whoever you see for help is bound by strict rules of confidentiality.
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, see a doctor and if your acne doesn't respond to their treatment push hard for referral. After years of angst a course of roaccutane cleared mine promptly. A young persons counvellor is a great idea too. They will hit your wavelength and someone to talk to is great. Plus keep your spirits up, everyone is battling with some problems and there is always a way through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (42)
32.56%
No I don't (61)
47.29%
I work during the holidays (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads