Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to have a Root Canal done I'm PETRIFED about it
    So my Dentist has prescribed Valium to take 1 hour beforehand.
    How will the Valium make me feel ?
    Also what's a Root Canal Like ?

ReputationRep:
    Valium will just make you calmer it will take the edge off the nerves that you have about the root canal. It should particually effect your perception of what is going on around you or anything like that. With reguards to the root cannal itself i can't help you ther as I have never had one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been given a dose of 2.5 mg. Just hope it works !

ReputationRep:
    I never got valium when I had my root canal
    They just drill into your tooth, put a bit of cotton wool (or something similar) in the hole to get rid of any crap in there, then you get a filling in it, they probably wont do that all at once though... its not so bad, doesnt hurt really, but the drilling really freaked me out!

ReputationRep:
    I just googled the root canal treatment and it does look a little bit painful, since it deals with the nerves of your tooth... my friend had one done and she hated it but she hates most things. If you leave it, it's going to get worse so at least once it's done, it's done. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    ooo also, will you be getting your anesthetic injected with one of those vibrating needles? If you can then have it done that way... then you really dont even feel it! The only thing I could feel was the drilling, but not in a painful way, just the pressure from it pressing into my tooth

ReputationRep:
    Diazepam is also a muscle relaxant as well as a minor tranquiliser, so should make it easier/less painful for the op.

ReputationRep:
    So does it feel like having a Filling ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    So does it feel like having a Filling ?
    Ive never had a filling before but I thought a root canal would be alot worse than it actually was... it is essentially just drilling into the tooth, killing the root and then putting a filling in there once all the crap that might have been up there from the root/abscess or whatever was up there is cleaned out. And aslong as the dentist has put the anasthetic in the right place than you really dont feel a thing, apart from the pressure of the drill, but it certainly isnt painful

EDIT* - The taste of the antiseptic stuff that my dentist put on the cotton wool he put in the hole in my tooth was probably the worst bit of it, was horrible!

ReputationRep:
    i've heard valium is amazing. thumbs up to valium hooooaahhhh

ReputationRep:
    The Dentist said i'll be having a "Rubber Dam" put on my face
    What is a Rubber Dam ?

ReputationRep:
    root canal - rubber dam, maybe a dentist pun.

ReputationRep:
    I was given valium when i had malaria. I was in Africa and i was petrified and a bit of a mess, I didnt want to take it at first but it made me feel a lot calmer about stuff. Made me feel a bit dizzy though

ReputationRep:
    A rubber dam could try googling it?

ReputationRep:
    valium is quite addictive is it not? it makes you calm and not care bout anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    A rubber dam could try googling it?
    Just have : It's a green sheet thingy that is placed over my mouth,with a Hole for the Tooth to stick out of.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, maybe its there to stop you from swallowing the bits of tooth/whatever else might come out of your tooth? Did you have an abcess above the tooth your having a root canal on?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, very addictive but oh so lovely. i suppose you cant get addicted if they just supply you with that one dose though, so just think yourself lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabella)
    yeah, very addictive but oh so lovely. i suppose you cant get addicted if they just supply you with that one dose though, so just think yourself lucky!
    The rubber dam is there to protect the tooth against the bacteria and any saliva in the oral cavity. I had a root canal done some time ago and it didn't hurt too much. Valium should serve to reduce your anxiety during the procedure.

ReputationRep:
    Root canals don't even hurt, so the valium must just be a bonus. Enjoy it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.