The Student Room Group

Gaining muscles - Where to start?

I've decided the only way to sort my eating habits out and still look good without feeling guilty is to start lifting weights. I also find it fun, so I want to get back into it. I want to do it properly this time, so I want more advice.I know the basics: eat at a caloric surplus, lift weights etc. I'm just wondering if any of you have any extra advice? What's the best exercises for the gluteus, abs, thighs and toning that bit up by the knee? What are the best machines at the gym to use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Squats.

Assuming that you're female so if you really want to use machines adductor and abductor.

For abs leg raises, bicycles etc. but remember that abs won't be showing if you gain extra fat(which you most likely will if you eat at caloric surplus)
Reply 2
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Squats.

Assuming that you're female so if you really want to use machines adductor and abductor.

For abs leg raises, bicycles etc. but remember that abs won't be showing if you gain extra fat(which you most likely will if you eat at caloric surplus)

So I should eat at a deficit? I'm confused... I do really want abs, so shall I not eat at a surplus?

Thanks for the advice :smile:
M/F?
Use free weights rather than machines, focus on big lifts like squats and deadlifts. Try to continually improve how much you lift rather than doing tonnes of different exercises.
Reply 5
Original post by citibankrec
M/F?

Female
Original post by l'etranger
Use free weights rather than machines, focus on big lifts like squats and deadlifts. Try to continually improve how much you lift rather than doing tonnes of different exercises.

Oh okay, thanks. Any suggestions on abs and diet? I bloat quite easily, so I think I might start staying away from gluten.
Original post by drowzee
So I should eat at a deficit? I'm confused... I do really want abs, so shall I not eat at a surplus?

Thanks for the advice :smile:

The argument is that eating a calorific surplus will allow you to gain muscle quicker which in turn will increase your metabolic rate giving you a better longterm outcome.

Abs showing will be a function of bodyfat and genetics more than how many crunches you've done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
The argument is that eating a calorific surplus will allow you to gain muscle quicker which in turn will increase your metabolic rate giving you a better longterm outcome.

Ah I see. My metabolism is pretty ****ed up tbh, so I think I might up my calories slowly, otherwise I'll gain weight. One last question: are protein shakes worth it? I don't really have much protein in my diet.
My number 1 tip I can give anybody is a) be consistent. It's like this with everything, consistency is the key to success. And by this I mean not missing workouts, not deviating too much from diet etc. Also make sure form is on point, don't want to be getting injured and lastly this stuff takes time. Keep at it and you'll see results at which point you won't want to stop. Good luck :smile:.
Original post by drowzee
Ah I see. My metabolism is pretty ****ed up tbh, so I think I might up my calories slowly, otherwise I'll gain weight. One last question: are protein shakes worth it? I don't really have much protein in my diet.

That's suppose to happen when you lift.

Unless you mean gain fat
Reply 10

Abs showing will be a function of bodyfat and genetics more than how many crunches you've done.

How do I keep my bodyfat down? I'm assuming it's just gaining more muscle right? More muscle = less fat?
Original post by drowzee

The best nutrition is milk if you're into it, I believe protein shakes are worth it, but don't go overboard, the best brand imo is myprotein

http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/protein/whey-protein.list

It's not absolutely essential though.
Reply 12
Original post by Nulliverse
My number 1 tip I can give anybody is a) be consistent. It's like this with everything, consistency is the key to success. And by this I mean not missing workouts, not deviating too much from diet etc. Also make sure form is on point, don't want to be getting injured and lastly this stuff takes time. Keep at it and you'll see results at which point you won't want to stop. Good luck :smile:.

Great advice! Thank you :smile:
Original post by AIDS Skrillex
That's suppose to happen when you lift.

Unless you mean gain fat

Yes sorry, I meant fat. I know I'll gain weight, but I'll get over that.

The best nutrition is milk if you're into it, I believe protein shakes are worth it, but don't go overboard, the best brand imo is myprotein

http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/protein/whey-protein.list

It's not absolutely essential though.

I think I'll need it to help with the lack of protein in my diet. Thanks for the link :smile:
Original post by drowzee
I've decided the only way to sort my eating habits out and still look good without feeling guilty is to start lifting weights. I also find it fun, so I want to get back into it. I want to do it properly this time, so I want more advice.I know the basics: eat at a caloric surplus, lift weights etc. I'm just wondering if any of you have any extra advice? What's the best exercises for the gluteus, abs, thighs and toning that bit up by the knee? What are the best machines at the gym to use?

track your macros, put your numbers in and see how much protein carbs fats you should be eating:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm (just an estimate)
Original post by Mr Smurf
I believe Holland & Barret are doing the £49.99 whey protein + 0.01p for extra one. So you get two for £50.

Is it their generic brand? Wouldn't recommend. Get MyProtein or OptimumNutrition.
Reply 15
Original post by physics4ever
track your macros, put your numbers in and see how much protein carbs fats you should be eating:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm (just an estimate)

Carbs: 221 G per day. Protein: 147 G per day. Fats: 55 G per day.
That seems like a lot of carbs... I'm only 50kg
Original post by drowzee

Hi

I train my gf, who competes nationally for powerlifting.

My best advice is to start by reading the FAQ https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Free weights are infinitely better than machines. Toning isn't really a thing

What do you currently weigh and what is your height?

You really don't need protein shakes, they're a convenience but an awful lot including the most common brands have a lot of flavours that taste like death

Read the FAQ and then come back with some more specific questions :smile:
Original post by drowzee

That's for bodybuilders, you won't need anywhere near that much
Original post by drowzee

eat up :smile: the hardest part of gaining weight is eating (imo)
Reply 19
Original post by Angry cucumber
Hi

I train my gf, who competes nationally for powerlifting.

My best advice is to start by reading the FAQ https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Free weights are infinitely better than machines. Toning isn't really a thing

What do you currently weigh and what is your height?

You really don't need protein shakes, they're a convenience but an awful lot including the most common brands have a lot of flavours that taste like death

Read the FAQ and then come back with some more specific questions :smile:

Thank you for the link :smile:

I'm 50kg and 5'3 btw
Original post by AIDS Skrillex
That's for bodybuilders, you won't need anywhere near that much

Yeah I got a bit of a heart attack looking at that :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest