The Student Room Group

I feel like I've made a huge mistake with my subjects... redoing A Levels?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abcdeffy
If you want to skip the faff I get to the point at the end :smile: x

Somewhere between attempting to find a course I'm passionate about and going in circles with it, I had the revelation that I am not interested in any of my A Level subjects and can't apply to any courses that actually interest me because of subject restriction.

I'm in year 13, done with applications and have already gotten my first offer. I take four humanities, but it's become clear to me over the past two years that it's the sciences and maths I find fascinating. During my GCSEs I had some pretty severe mental health issues and as a result didn't really focus on school, so my teachers dismissed me as dumb and I thought I couldn't do those subjects. The humanities are naturally, much easier to ******** last minute in exams so I selected all those subjects.

I've also been really uninspired for the past couple of years, but now that my health is in better shape I'm starting to see a future for myself and the current path I'm headed down just doesn't make me tick. I see evolvements in STEM or doctors in action and I'm just so amazed and inspired by what they do, and recently I realised that I feel A Levels are a bit too young to start giving up on potential dreams.

I'm considering sitting my four humanities at the end of this year, hopefully getting A*s/As, then taking a year out to do maths and a science and then reapplying to university for a subject that interests me. Under the influence of a deadbeat group of friends I always considered Oxbridge a flowery elitist institute, but now I realise how deluded I was and would be honoured to attend. I fear my GCSEs will hold me back (8As, 3Bs (not to sound arrogant but I know I could have gotten mostly A*s, not that it makes a difference to them)).

I guess I just wanted to air this opinion out. Has anyone redone A Levels? Done A Levels in a year? Taken a year to reapply? Regretted their subject choice? Changed their degree course? Any opinions on my prospective plan?

Any responses would be appreciated! x

A lot of people have regretted their A-Level choices but I don't think much have completed them then done different subjects. I think you should do that, complete your current AS subjects then you can do science and maths AS and A2.
I feel exactly the same way about my A-level choices, i'm year 13 as well and just sent my application off two weeks ago. I study Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I Really enjoy maths and economics with high hopes of achieving good grades this year, i just dont like computer science. I have no experience in coding or programming and have no interest in the subject. It has literally given me so much stress that I had a severe asthma attack on boxing day i had to go to the hospital. I just want to drop it and do another a-level next year, because the amount of stress just one subject has on me and my health is not good at all. I even applied to study maths and economics at uni...and computer science has no relevance to the course i want to study.
Original post by abcdeffy
If you want to skip the faff I get to the point at the end :smile: x

Somewhere between attempting to find a course I'm passionate about and going in circles with it, I had the revelation that I am not interested in any of my A Level subjects and can't apply to any courses that actually interest me because of subject restriction.

I'm in year 13, done with applications and have already gotten my first offer. I take four humanities, but it's become clear to me over the past two years that it's the sciences and maths I find fascinating. During my GCSEs I had some pretty severe mental health issues and as a result didn't really focus on school, so my teachers dismissed me as dumb and I thought I couldn't do those subjects. The humanities are naturally, much easier to ******** last minute in exams so I selected all those subjects.

I've also been really uninspired for the past couple of years, but now that my health is in better shape I'm starting to see a future for myself and the current path I'm headed down just doesn't make me tick. I see evolvements in STEM or doctors in action and I'm just so amazed and inspired by what they do, and recently I realised that I feel A Levels are a bit too young to start giving up on potential dreams.

I'm considering sitting my four humanities at the end of this year, hopefully getting A*s/As, then taking a year out to do maths and a science and then reapplying to university for a subject that interests me. Under the influence of a deadbeat group of friends I always considered Oxbridge a flowery elitist institute, but now I realise how deluded I was and would be honoured to attend. I fear my GCSEs will hold me back (8As, 3Bs (not to sound arrogant but I know I could have gotten mostly A*s, not that it makes a difference to them)).

I guess I just wanted to air this opinion out. Has anyone redone A Levels? Done A Levels in a year? Taken a year to reapply? Regretted their subject choice? Changed their degree course? Any opinions on my prospective plan?

Any responses would be appreciated! x

I understand what you're saying, and i think the friend issue is just you got into the wrong influences. However, your GCSE grades can be explained to universities.
I like your idea of taking a year off to do the subjects you ACTUALLY want to do, i'm in year 12 so i dont really know about redoing a levels. But taking that year would help you get the basis of those subjects so when you do go to uni, you would still know stuff that you needed to know through a levels.
You GCSE dilemma can be explained to uni's because in your personal statement it's advised to include any serious situations or anything that had interrupted or disrupted your learning and therefore has given you 'false' gcse results (ygm), like it has disrupted your learning and therefore you havent performed your best.
i'm not sure about re doing a levels but i have a friend you has hired a private tutor (he's also in year 12) to do maths a level on the side, he didnt get an A in maths gcse so he wasnt allowed to continue maths at a level at the sixth form, but he also does the sciences and wanted to do maths (also, some uni's ask for maths too) so instead he hired a tutor that would do maths a level with him and give him a a level maths certificate at the end too. you could try finding a private tutor too either in the year or now to do all or a few of the subjects you want to pursue.

I know i wasnt much help tbf as i'm still in year 12 and i havent experienced any of this but i hope you're well and you eventually find a path that you have an interest in taking, inshallah.
Reply 4
Original post by crystala1998
I feel exactly the same way about my A-level choices, i'm year 13 as well and just sent my application off two weeks ago. I study Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I Really enjoy maths and economics with high hopes of achieving good grades this year, i just dont like computer science. I have no experience in coding or programming and have no interest in the subject. It has literally given me so much stress that I had a severe asthma attack on boxing day i had to go to the hospital. I just want to drop it and do another a-level next year, because the amount of stress just one subject has on me and my health is not good at all. I even applied to study maths and economics at uni...and computer science has no relevance to the course i want to study.

over doin it with the asthma attack loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Quick Reply

Latest