Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
M418 – Bus Stop Cigarette Receptacle Motion 2016, Jammy Duel MP
This House believes that there should be some form of bin and/or cigarette receptacle at all bus stops.

This House further believes that as a bare minimum a cigarette receptacle should be present at all bus shelters in urban areas.

The rationale is simple enough, it gives smokers somewhere other than the floor to put their cigarette butts. Such action is not unprecedented, in many places there are places for people to put their gum attached to lamp posts and with the sparsity of bins in urban areas this simple measure can lead to a cleaner, healthier environment.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How much would this cost? I expect it would be quite expensive to install these at every bus stop across Britain. I am however leaning towards an aye for this.
BobSausage
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surely the aim should be to stop people smoking? By doing this you are almost suggesting it's alright to smoke. It is bad for the smokers health and those around them and is blatantly anti-social. I say instead of adding cigarette bins we up the taxes on cigarettes or ban them completely.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is a simple aye, living in London myself there are far too many cigarette buts on the floor and as stated this could lead to a better environment
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bins perhaps - not sure about cigarette receptacles specifically.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BobSausage)
Surely the aim should be to stop people smoking? By doing this you are almost suggesting it's alright to smoke. It is bad for the smokers health and those around them and is blatantly anti-social. I say instead of adding cigarette bins we up the taxes on cigarettes or ban them completely.
What in the world...
While I am vehemently opposed to smoking it is ridiculous to even suggest a ban. Free will and the massive blow to the economy are just two reasons..
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BobSausage)
Taxes for cigarettes are already astronomical; the people who are still smoking are incredibly likely to be long-term smokers, and to simply try and cut them out of cigarettes with the click of one's fingers is barbaric as it's an addiction and would drive them insane.

Moreover the solution to everything is not banning. Restrictions are already fair enough as it is and the amount of people taking up smoking is insanely low, nothing more needs to be done besides plain packaging.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Bins perhaps - not sure about cigarette receptacles specifically.
Bin size litter isn't much of a problem, there's also a reason bins aren't so common, I believe it's called the IRA

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Bin size litter isn't much of a problem, there's also a reason bins aren't so common, I believe it's calledthe IRAQ.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't heard of it I'm afraid.
BobSausage
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LifeIsFine)
What in the world...
While I am vehemently opposed to smoking it is ridiculous to even suggest a ban. Free will and the massive blow to the economy are just two reasons..
Is it not intrusion of other people's human rights though to poison the air near them? Why is it fair that people can claim they have the 'right' to smoke but the rest of us can't claim we have the right to breathe unpolluted air?

There are more than enough alternatives, there are always adverts about quitting smoking and getting help. It's not as if a ban is just removing this addictive substance from them completely and expecting them to cope, but for as long as cigarettes are available and on sale there will be new smokers, there will be chain smokers and there will be people poisoning the air with these disgusting fumes, which is just not right!

I know it's harsh but we've managed to eradicate diseases and all sorts of other things by putting our foot down why not nicotine addiction too?

(I cba to write another reply the same but most of this applies to Inexorably too )
KaylaB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, also being a Londoner I understand how much of an issue this is.
But where would the money for this come from? As there are a remarkably large number of bus stops in urban areas and thus will be expensive.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I support this, smoking is a distgusting habit, but if people want to willingly give themselves cancer then by all means let them (an outright ban as suggested by an earlier poster is absolutely absurd.

Also, I'd rather that people have an easy way to get rid of cigarettes than have them lazily drop it onto the pavement polluting public areas.

As such, I'll be voting aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Haven't heard of it I'm afraid.
Bins are easy to put bombs in, IIRC there were such incidents in London back when the IRA were active, hence why it's often hard to find a bin in cities, and by extension part of the reason fag butts are thrown on the floor so much. Bus stops are particularly bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. This suggests that they can smoke under bus stops when actually it's not allowed in many cities (I know because I am Brummie!).
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this would be better dealt with on a local level, nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Instead of funding places to dispose cigarettes near bus stops why not just ban it at bus stops? I prefer the idea of no smoking in urban areas unless there's a smoking area e.g near a cigarette disposal bin. Reduces litter, less people annoyed from smokers and potentially people smoking less. The fact people are smoking wont led to any sort of healthier environment unless smoking is actually prevented, the bud doesn't have negative health effects near to the effects of second hand smoke. although i agree with the cleaner part. So I see no point and it could actually encourage smoking, many smokers will only smoke near a place they can sensibly dispose of it, putting it near a bus stop would therefore encourage them to smoke. Not worth the money, there are better alternatives that can achieve both a cleaner and more healthier environment for everyone.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I support this, smoking is a distgusting habit, but if people want to willingly give themselves cancer then by all means let them (an outright ban as suggested by an earlier poster is absolutely absurd.

Also, I'd rather that people have an easy way to get rid of cigarettes than have them lazily drop it onto the pavement polluting public areas.

As such, I'll be voting aye.
This is dumb, let's let them get cancer then go through expensive NHS programs to help them quit and get chemotherapy. Not to mention the effects it has on surrounding people in public and at home where it's negative effects can haram child development or lead to emotional stress, cancer from smoking or not is hard for any family member to deal with. You also forget many people unwillingly smoke, it's an addiction, many hate themselves from it and can't get off it due to the withdrawal symptoms. Of course you can't have an outright ban, but you could just ban it in urban areas or allow permit it in designated smoking areas.

I'd rather people didn't smoke and pollute the air in urban areas for people to inhale second hand smoke when they could instead smoke in an area away from pedestrians with bins.
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can't say I pay much attention to how many fag butts there are on the floor so not think it is worth the money. Every bus stop? No way, that is going to cost a fortune to empty. Many bus stops outside of cities are nothing more than a sign on a lamp post and get used only a few times a day.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I request OP conduct a comparison of cost of placing them at bus shelters compared to placing them on/just inside the buses themselves, especially when it comes to the labour cost of collection.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's currently illegal to smoke under a bus shelter but not illegal to smoke outside one. Banning smoking is absolutely absurd, it's only going to cause more problems. Having a bin with tray seems like a good idea. But how we are going to fund this?

Also what about the people that smoke in the bus? Even do its illegal to smoke inside, many people sit in the back and smoke (mainly it's the dirty chavs/roadman) the whole bus ends up smelling of cigarettes. Worse thing Is the bus driver knows this and does nothing to stop it.

Posted from OtherWorld
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
61.11%
No (35)
38.89%

Watched Threads