The Student Room Group

C4 Questions I'm stuck on...

Q1: imgur.com/Yp404yY

I am stuck on parts c and d for this question.
For part a I did:
dA/dt= dA/dR x dr/dt, da/dt=2(pi)r
Hence, da/dt= 2(pi)r.dr/dt

For part b:
Da/dt=k[(pi)a^2 - (pi)r^2]
2(pi)r.dr/dt= k(pi)a^2 -k(pi)r^2
2r.dr/dt = k(a^2 - r^2)

I can't do part c as it requires expressing r in terms of 3 letters which I don't know how to do. I tried turning it into 2 letters by introducing some auxiliary element, but that failed.

Q2 & Q3 (parts c and d for both only): I could not find any examples of these types of questions + was never covered in the textbook :frown:
imgur.com/G7lMk52
imgur.com/LqobQx9

Q4: imgur.com/5lJkYMW

Pretty much don't know where to begin at all with this question, it's at the very end of the exercise so it's probably very difficult.

Q5: imgur.com/4oygahs

So after showing the general solution is x= Ae^-kt...

For part a of this question (before t=0...) If t=1 that means Q=Qa
T=0 : Q=a (Quantity q of drug is administered)
T<0 : Q=0
x=a???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anon360
Q1: imgur.com/Yp404yY

I can't do part c as it requires expressing r in terms of 3 letters which I don't know how to do. I tried turning it into 2 letters by introducing some auxiliary element, but that failed.

Q1. Part d is going to depend on part c.

For c, note that k and a are both constants. The only variables are t and r.

Your D.E. is no different, in principle, to 2r.dr/dt = 5(3^2 - r^2), which I imagine you can solve.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Q1. Part d is going to depend on part c.

For c, note that k and a are both constants. The only variables are t and r.

Your D.E. is no different, in principle, to 2r.dr/dt = 5(3^2 - r^2), which I imagine you can solve.

So I treat k and a as if I only have 1 constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anon360
So I treat k and a as if I only have 1 constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, they're both constants and appear in different places in your equation, so you can't combine them into one.
Reply 4

Q1 So you have 2rdrdt=k(a2r2)2r\frac{dr}{dt}=k(a^2-r^2) which by seperation of variables leads you to 2ra2r2.dr=k.dt\frac{2r}{a^2-r^2}.dr=k .dt

Now integrate both sides giving 2ra2r2.dr=k.dt\displaystyle \int \frac{2r}{a^2-r^2} .dr = \int k .dt

I assume you can handle the RHS and for LHS the trick here is to turn it into 2ra2r2.dr\displaystyle -\int \frac{-2r}{a^2-r^2} .dr where now the numerator is the derivative of the bottom with respect to r. Keep in mind that aa and kk are constants therefore you can treat them as if they are both the number 1.

Q2 C So find the position vector of A at t=0 and t=10 then substract one from another to find the displacement. Do the same for B. Show that these vectors are perpendicular.

Q2 D A has position vector as rA=(1)i+(3)j+(4110t)kr_A=(1)i+(3)j+(4-\frac{1}{10}t)k and B has position rB=(1+15)i+(3)j+(2)kr_B=(1+\frac{1}{5})i+(-3)j+(2)k so find the vector AB by doing B-A and hence find the magnitude. Once you have the magnitude, you can use differentiation to minimise the distance and find the value of t at which it occurs - hence then find the actual distance.

Q3 C Find the equation of the line through A and B with vector AB and point B as the starting point to notice what happens.

Q3 D Get the direction vector of OP. Get the direction vector of AB. For them to be perpendicular, you need cos(θ)=abab=0\cos(\theta)=\frac{\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b}}{\lvert \mathbf{a}\lvert \lvert \mathbf{b} \lvert}=0 so the dot product must be 0 and solve for lambda from there.

Q4 The direction has to be the same therefore the gradients must be the same and since the gradient of the line is ab\frac{-a}{b} then one such vector to be parallel to it is biajb\mathbf{i} - a\mathbf{j}. Have a go at the rest.

Q5 At t=0 we have Q=AQ=A and at t=1 we have Qα=AekQ\alpha = Ae^{-k} and since we know that A=QA=Q we hence know that Qα=QekQ\alpha = Qe^{-k} and hence you get α\alpha and go from there.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest