pretty basic Q regarding gaining muscle Watch

stimmo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Well, off to uni in a few weeks and am putting myself on a new program with the aim of gaining muscle. Sounds simple enough, I know the basics, but have no idea really how many calories I should be consuming - I know I need in excess of my maintenence, but any idea of how many for packing on muscle with minimum fat gain?
meathead1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by stimmo)
Well, off to uni in a few weeks and am putting myself on a new program with the aim of gaining muscle. Sounds simple enough, I know the basics, but have no idea really how many calories I should be consuming - I know I need in excess of my maintenence, but any idea of how many for packing on muscle with minimum fat gain?
Any idea what your maintenance is?
LOST
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on your BMR rate which in turn is affected by other things..

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...-2774-143.html or http://www.bblex.de/en/calc/navy.php
then use
http://yianni.users.mcs2.netarray.co...WebApp/bmr.jsp

This is the best tool I used to find my BMR for whatever purposes, gaining, loosing, maintaining.
~Linh~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
consider supplements, like branched-chain-amino-acids (help build muscle faster & put your body in an anabolic state), l-glutamine (repairs muscles so u can work out everyday), creatine monohydrate (adds water weight, allowing water to be used to transport nutrients throughout muscles), maybe N.O. (nitrix oxide dilates blood vessels allowing more blood to be transported to muscles). I took all this stuff n i felt gains in as little as one week... but I was also on Nitro T3 (ZMA, cortisol blockers so u dont get fat and other testosterone boosters) as well as Novedex XT (bunch of stuff in it to boost test. naturally). I researched all this stuff before i popp'd em pills n they all seem to have some scientific basis to it, so i suggest it! ask me if u got questions homie ill be glad to help..

About your calories... how much do u weigh & want to weigh? If you weigh 150 and want to weigh 170, EAT LIKE YOU WEIGH 170. Focus on keeping MODERATE levels of carbs n fats, but increase protein intake like nuts. PROTEIN is very important, if you want to weigh 170 (for example) take 2g of protein for each lb of body mass, therefore 340g of protein a day. Easily done with a few whey/soya protein shakes, yummmmmyyyyyyyy

take care homie, n good luck!
focusST
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Linh~)
consider supplements, like branched-chain-amino-acids (help build muscle faster & put your body in an anabolic state), l-glutamine (repairs muscles so u can work out everyday), creatine monohydrate (adds water weight, allowing water to be used to transport nutrients throughout muscles), maybe N.O. (nitrix oxide dilates blood vessels allowing more blood to be transported to muscles). I took all this stuff n i felt gains in as little as one week... but I was also on Nitro T3 (ZMA, cortisol blockers so u dont get fat and other testosterone boosters) as well as Novedex XT (bunch of stuff in it to boost test. naturally). I researched all this stuff before i popp'd em pills n they all seem to have some scientific basis to it, so i suggest it! ask me if u got questions homie ill be glad to help..

About your calories... how much do u weigh & want to weigh? If you weigh 150 and want to weigh 170, EAT LIKE YOU WEIGH 170. Focus on keeping MODERATE levels of carbs n fats, but increase protein intake like nuts. PROTEIN is very important, if you want to weigh 170 (for example) take 2g of protein for each lb of body mass, therefore 340g of protein a day. Easily done with a few whey/soya protein shakes, yummmmmyyyyyyyy

take care homie, n good luck!
id ignore most of that, you dont need any of thoese suppliments and unless you have 200 quid to spare you are pretty stuck anyway. if anything get some whey and that will do.
Jontheone
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Several of my mates went on muscle building supplements an shakes while i was away at uni, came back after the first semester an theyd buffed up something insane. Soon as they slowed it down tho they rapidly lost almost all the definition. Stick natural son, takes longer sure, but it'll stay an do u more good health-wise.
stimmo
Rep:
?
As a skint student, whey protein is about the only supplement I will be able to afford. Did the tests LOST posted links to, my maintenence is apparently 2400 calories (I thought it would be more like 2000-2200). Linh I understand what you are saying but when you say eat like I want to weight 170lbs I really need you to be a bit more precise
focusST
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you eat like you weight 170lb you will get fat, you will be way over consuming and probly get depressed cos you cant see any muscle. eat like you are what you are, 2500 sounds like a good number to start with. and also, as i have said many times before, 2g protein per lb of bw is way too much, let the flaming begin.
stimmo
Rep:
?
I think 300lb of protein every day might be too much to get in anyway I was making decent gains several months ago when I first started whilst not even consuming 100lb of protein (this was before I discovered whey). I think I will shoot for closer to 150lb.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jontheone)
Several of my mates went on muscle building supplements an shakes while i was away at uni, came back after the first semester an theyd buffed up something insane. Soon as they slowed it down tho they rapidly lost almost all the definition. Stick natural son, takes longer sure, but it'll stay an do u more good health-wise.
Consuming shakes, creatine and the like is classed as natural in terms of bodybuilding speak. Taking steroids is not.
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
3 key ingredients to building muscle:
1) good workouts
2) protein shakes. You should be eating 1g of protein for every lb. you weight, thats ALOT
3) good diet nutrition. 6 meals a day, if you weight say 180 lbs then 180 g of protein, 180g carbs, some fats but not excessive. To build muscle FAST you need to be eatign way more than maintenance aswell, somewhere int he region of 3000-3500 is reccomended for keeping with lean muscle growth.

bodybuilding.com also has everything you'll ever need to know.
~Linh~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by focusST)
id ignore most of that, you dont need any of thoese suppliments and unless you have 200 quid to spare you are pretty stuck anyway. if anything get some whey and that will do.
ok there buddy, you could get all those natural supplements for 50-80gbp easily... but then again, if you don't want massive gains in a shorter period of time using verified scientific/medical knowledge, then stick to curling 10lbs... just research ANY of those supplements i mentioned and you will be glad you did.
~Linh~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As a skint student, whey protein is about the only supplement I will be able to afford. Did the tests LOST posted links to, my maintenence is apparently 2400 calories (I thought it would be more like 2000-2200). Linh I understand what you are saying but when you say eat like I want to weight 170lbs I really need you to be a bit more precise
Sorry I guess I was not clear enough. Nonetheless, I suggest you research the suppplements I mentioned, particularly the BCAA's, l-glutamine, or Novedex xt because these are natural supplements found naturally in certain foods that we usually don't get enough of.

What is your current body mass and how much do you want to weigh? Lets assume you weigh 140 and wish to weigh 155. If you do the calorie intake calculation for a 140lb male, it may state 2000-2200 calories, but if you do the calculation for a 155lb male, it may state that you need to consume 2600-2800 calories. By consuming 2600-2800 calories while weighing 140lbs, you are eating like a 155lb man, ultimately allowing you to gain mass faster. Understand what I mean now?
shauny
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Post the routine you're planning to do, it's important you get it right

Linh has the right advice.

focusST et al.,what do you mean 2g/lb BW protein is "too much"?

..shauny
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Being a teenager ( I think), Id just eat as much clean food as physically possible. Your metabolism is high, exploit it. You'll make good newbie gains anyway without supplements. Eat lots of wholemeal carbs and Lean protien sources. Drink plenty of water.

And train your legs. Squatting and Deadlifting is the most important exercise over everything else for gaining size all over (growth hormone release.) You dont see many people doing them though because they are hard.
focusST
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shauny)

Linh has the right advice.

focusST et al.,what do you mean 2g/lb BW protein is "too much"?

..shauny
unless you are on roids, 2lb per gram is too much, it means what it says. ive never comsumed that much and im fairly big.
Peter North
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"fairly"
stimmo
Rep:
?
(Original post by shauny)
Not too sure yet...will probably do 1 day a week chest/triceps(bench, incline bench, flyes? maybe dips?) , 1 day a week back/biceps (chin-ups, bicep curls, maybe squats? never done them before tbh even though I probably should have) and 1 day a week shoulders (military press...dont really know what else to do there!). I will probably do some cardio a couple of days per week only to keep my aerobic base - ie when I want to step it up I can run more than 1km :P I will also train abs probably twice per week.

Well I imagine everyone will want to rip that apart :P
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just stick to the basics, squat, deadlift, chins, rows, and some form of press. No need for any 'isolation' at this point in time.
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not too sure yet...will probably do 1 day a week chest/triceps(bench, incline bench, flyes? maybe dips?) , 1 day a week back/biceps (chin-ups, bicep curls, maybe squats? never done them before tbh even though I probably should have) and 1 day a week shoulders (military press...dont really know what else to do there!). I will probably do some cardio a couple of days per week only to keep my aerobic base - ie when I want to step it up I can run more than 1km :P I will also train abs probably twice per week.

Well I imagine everyone will want to rip that apart :P
There is absolutely no point in splitting a routine yet. At all. Stick to the basics to get the best results, that means a full body workout 3 times a week or a upperbody/lower body split 3/4 times a week.

You MUST train your legs. If you don't squat in some form you dont have a workout, I find it hilarious when you get people who have huge upperbodies walking around on tiny legs. Get a gym with a power cage and get squatting! Legs = more growth hormone = more buff.

Try Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It is THE best program for beginners.

Stick to compound movements, there is no point in isolating at least for another couple of years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads