The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
I guess the main point is, it is only Trinidad & Tobago. We will learn nothing about how this lot will perform against Croatia, much less the European giants. I'm not sure that it is hard to look good against this team.
Reply 3121
Juwel
I guess the main point is, it is only Trinidad & Tobago. We will learn nothing about how this lot will perform against Croatia, much less the European giants. I'm not sure that it is hard to look good against this team.

And you were critical of my views on the purpose of these games?
Reply 3122
Fusion
And you were critical of my views on the purpose of these games?

There are other things we could learn, and seemingly have done. Anyway, your view was that the friendlies were pointless simply because the domestic season is over. It's a very narrow view to take.

Having said that, I'd rather the game were a curtain-closer at Wembley against a Euro 2008 team or a South American or African superpower.
Reply 3123
Economist
We're amazing! Barry's just added a few mil to his price tag :smile:

"FFS O'Neil's going to be banging on about how he's a fundamental part of the England team and demand 20m for him in the morning"...was my first reaction to Barry scoring.
mon should be cheeky and offer 10m for gerrard. Actually 9m seeing how Barry just outshone him on every area of the pitch :teeth:
Reply 3125
good mermington
mon should be cheeky and offer 10m for gerrard. Actually 9m seeing how Barry just outshone him on every area of the pitch :teeth:

:eek: Rafa's reaction would be priceless. :biggrin:
Reply 3126
I'm beginning to really warm to the prospect of a Barry/Gerrard relationship for Liverpool. Which basically means it won't happen now.
Well done Defoe, was happy to see him bang in 2 :smile:

Good game.

David James almost ****ed up again... Damn fool :rofl:
Reply 3128
Disappointed with Walcott today but he's still really young and it was only what, his 2nd appearance?

At any rate he is equal to SWP and a lot younger - he's got bags of pace, no composure in front of goal, don't know how reliable his crosses are (?). If he develops when SWP never bothered then he could become a starter and a world class player. Based on today+past:

Ashton
Downing Rooney Gerrard
Barry Hargreaves
Cole Terry Ferdinand Richards
James

Would be my starting line up in the next game.
hey i jus got home from the game was great actually seeing these players in rreal. walcott is pretty damn fast!! but trinidad really does suck despite it being my home team
bridge is better then cole:smile:
woodgate is better then terry:wink:
barry is a league above fat frank:smile:
crouch shouldnt be in the england squad nevermind coming on in both games
I'm personally a big fan of Beckham and what he brings to the England team. He's a starter IMO.

Not sure about his being given the captains armband for a match.

I'm sure Capello knows what he's doing...?! :confused:

(missed both recent England games, did i miss out on much?)
Juwel
I missed it. I bet it was crap. Tell me it was crap.

Stop watching the Indian cricket bro and tune in nxt time. :cool:
not really-both were beyond dull, il admit where playing better passing football (gerrards goal against usa, and barrys today against t+t)...but overall its been dull, and we havnt exactly played top quality teams (no offence to any fans of either team)..but ya never know, capello is a good manager and has given people a chance (warnock, walcott, defoe, crouch, ashton etc)...roll on world cup qualification and hopfully a trip to south africa :smile:
Reply 3134
white_haired_wizard
I'm personally a big fan of Beckham and what he brings to the England team. He's a starter IMO.

Not sure about his being given the captains armband for a match.

I'm sure Capello knows what he's doing...?! :confused:

(missed both recent England games, did i miss out on much?)

You didn't miss much at all. The quality of opposition, particularly today, meant that there wasn't much to be gleaned about the players anyway. Barry is probably the player that put forward the best case over the two games. And Defoe.

They were both boring games (by and large). Not much else to add, really.

These game were more for Capello's benefit than ours.
Reply 3135
white_haired_wizard
Stop watching the Indian cricket bro and tune in nxt time. :cool:

I wish. I was at a thing. And have no Sky Sports. :frown:
It does amuse me. Capello is getting paid millions per year...let's take an example. A year of being an England manager....some friendlies to try things out, 6-8 qualifiers (perhaps it's more?)...and the media to put up with.

amongst these qualifiers, 90% of the matches are against the likes of Austria, Switzerland and other ****e. Throw in the odd game against a good or very good side...

all this money he's earning and it really should only be truly difficult and challenging for a very small proportion of the time....

but this is international football, all teams are dangerous on their day :rolleyes:
Reply 3137
white_haired_wizard
It does amuse me. Capello is getting paid millions per year...let's take an example. A year of being an England manager....some friendlies to try things out, 6-8 qualifiers (perhaps it's more?)...and the media to put up with.

amongst these qualifiers, 90% of the matches are against the likes of Austria, Switzerland and other ****e. Throw in the odd game against a good or very good side...

all this money he's earning and it really should only be truly difficult and challenging for a very small proportion of the time....

but this is international football, all teams are dangerous on their day :rolleyes:

But he is involved in a much wider role regarding trying to make England produce a new generation of world class players.

The truth is people who say that management under Capello is just the same as before really are not looking at anything beyond a few games under his management before he has even settled on his first choice team or tactics.

His pay cheque may be high but he does have to boss around some really famous and cocky characters, his name and picture will be put in papers/on the internet and he will inevitably be slated unless he installs pretty football that also wins us everything :rolleyes: And we are paying for the experience of an incredibly well decorated manager who has worked with players of all quality levels and is proven to be able to get the best out of them while maintaining an iron grip of respect and control.

And of course the fact that it is a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny amount of the FAs annual revenue does help.
My take on things... Still not convinced about Defoe (nothing short of a spectacular performance, considering the opposition, would have changed my mind there).

And that England need more competitive games. These friendlies do very little, unless they are played competitively, and they can only be against the very top teams, or if there is something on the line.

Bring back the home nations cup! At least that would give the players something to compete for, and the rivalry of it should produce good performances.
Reply 3139
^ Or just a "friendly" against one of the other home nations. There's never any love lost there. Scotland would probably be the best candidates at this moment in time.

Latest