The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's fair to call us **** based on our first friendly or our team. If that's the case I have every right to call England ****. Who stands out from your team bar Rooney and Lampard (oh and your Italian manager), you haven't got a consistent 'keeper, no stable defence, and you have the likes of Emile Heskey in attack, and you weren't convincing against Japan or Mexico yourselves. I'm not going to say we played well, it was diabolical, and I half expected yesterday's result with Lippi's choices, but how can you count anyone out now? I'm not going to try and find excuses but Italy never take friendlies seriously, simply because they don't have any significance. Maybe that's a bad mentality to have but we always perform when it matters. If Italy had only reached the quarter finals in 2006 and didn't even qualify for the Euros 2 years ago I certainly wouldn't have such high expectations of them now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with supporting your team, but that doesn't mean you can starting placing bets on teams you know nothing about. Sorry for ranting, and no disrespect to the humble fans amongst you.
Every team is ****. Honduras for the World Cup.
Ferdinand taken to hospital with a knee injury :woohoo:

Where the **** is Michael Dawson ffs :facepalm2:
Colbert
Ferdinand taken to hospital with a knee injury :woohoo:

Where the **** is Michael Dawson ffs :facepalm2:

Butlins.
Colonel Brusnahan
Butlins.

I hope he's with Phil Jagielka and both are within easy reach of an airport. Then when John Terry goes down... :colone:
eyetaliano
I don't think it's fair to call us **** based on our first friendly or our team. If that's the case I have every right to call England ****. Who stands out from your team bar Rooney and Lampard (oh and your Italian manager), you haven't got a consistent 'keeper, no stable defence, and you have the likes of Emile Heskey in attack, and you weren't convincing against Japan or Mexico yourselves. I'm not going to say we played well, it was diabolical, and I half expected yesterday's result with Lippi's choices, but how can you count anyone out now? I'm not going to try and find excuses but Italy never take friendlies seriously, simply because they don't have any significance. Maybe that's a bad mentality to have but we always perform when it matters. If Italy had only reached the quarter finals in 2006 and didn't even qualify for the Euros 2 years ago I certainly wouldn't have such high expectations of them now. There's absolutely nothing wrong with supporting your team, but that doesn't mean you can starting placing bets on teams you know nothing about. Sorry for ranting, and no disrespect to the humble fans amongst you.

Emotional but misguided. Heard of a certain Steven Gerrard? The point everyone were making was not so much that italy are terrible, but that they are a shadow of the team they were four years ago. It's a fair point. Neither are France or Germany or Portugal. Some teams are fortunate that their top players are at their peak (e.g Spain and England) whilst others won't be till next world cup. Doens't mean Italy can't win it, it's a cup afterall.
Colbert
I hope he's with Phil Jagielka and both are within easy reach of an airport. Then when John Terry goes down... :colone:

They're both coming, King broke his foot off during penalty practice.
Heskey finally does something useful, he injuries our captain! :awesome:
just got in, seeign all this dawson talk and butlins made me somewhat curious as to what was going on, but now i see ferdinand is out, wtf happened :biggrin:

dawson will do us proud, he wears his heart on his sleeve and gets stuck in, i hope he does ok

what do we think the main cb pair will be now then

terry and king?
Terry and King seems to be most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Terry and Upson.
Colonel Brusnahan
Terry and King seems to be most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Terry and Upson.
:hand: :biggrin:
Dawson won't play a minute btw.
Who's cap'n now then? Please not Terry.
Reply 5653
rockrunride
Who's cap'n now then? Please not Terry.

Steve Gerrard Gerrard
M_E_X
Steve Gerrard Gerrard

Phew. Good decision tbh.
Stevie "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem" Gerrard.
Reply 5656
rockrunride
Phew. Good decision tbh.

Yeah (Y) As a Liverpool fan it's nice to see him as captain and (most likely?) Carra back as a CB.
Reply 5657
:rofl: If Gerrard wins the WC for England. Who is Vice Captain now then?
Reply 5658
meskell
:rofl: If Gerrard wins the WC for England. Who is Vice Captain now then?

JC? :rofl:

naw, probably Lamps or possibly Rooney..?
Heskey has been made Vice-Captain.

Latest